Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awful Cooks on FB Group...

KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited May 2020 in EggHead Forum
I have to vent in a "safe" place...
This week I joined one of the many FB BGE groups.  While it does get more amateur posts then some, which I like, holy crap the the cooking results are awful!  Pizzas that look like they fell out of the box onto the ground, shingle hard brisket slabs claimed as "OMG best ever!" and some of the dry nastiest looking ribs I've seen.
I try to take the old advice from here of just giving them a thumbs up and applauding their enthusiasm. We all started somewhere.  ....but I really want to shout "there's no smoke ring on that beef and the meat is so dry you'll need to oil the cutting board when you're done slicing it." But I just scroll on.  It's tough in the FB environment to give constructive criticism like that without coming off as a hater.

That's it.  Just had to vent. :) The stay at home work the past couple months has brought me back to this forum as I've had a little more time to read and post.  It's the best.  I'm no gourmet. I'm usually making quick prep meals on the egg, but I also know a sh*tty result when I see it. =)
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2020
    I think it was a better world when we could give someone our opinion without everyone getting so butthurt. There is a difference between constructive criticism and being an arsehole. Doesn’t sound to me like you would have been an arsehole. So I would have said something. I appreciate when someone corrects me when I’m doing something not quite right. That’s how you learn. Otherwise a person walks around with a stupid grin on their face thinking they are Aaron Franklin.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I've learned my lesson several times that facebook groups are gross.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    The instrgram eggers are decent don’t have experience with fb 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I thought FB was supposed to make you feel like your life doesn’t measure up to everyone else’s fab life?
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Some of the FB groups are better than others.  The thing I really dislike is the inability to filter out the noise.  I wish there was a "this guy gets it" badge admins could give out to help new folks learn who to listen to.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    =) okay, thanks. Glad to know its not just me.
    Yes, some of the FB groups are all professionally looking perfectly photographed cooks and nothing else....  suspicious.
    Other groups are the complete opposite.
    It's not all bad.  It's just not here. :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I joined one of the FB groups for like 3 weeks. Every post was a lump debate or time/temp question. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I've learned my lesson several times that facebook groups are gross.
    the one I belong to that's really pretty good (and humbling) is the one that Gozney (the makers of Roccbox) have up.  Lots of good info, people more than happy to share tips and tricks, recipes, etc.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I don’t do social media (other than this and a mountain bike forum). Now I am beginning to wonder if I am that guy here posting garbage that others just smile and nod at.. hmmm 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I've personally been kicked out of several BGE-related Facebook groups for making various comments.  I'm sure this comes as a surprise to absolutely none of you.
    This I didn’t make it a week before getting kicked out.  I didn’t even try to stir the pot so it wasn’t that much fun. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Cornholio said:
    I don’t do social media (other than this and a mountain bike forum). Now I am beginning to wonder if I am that guy here posting garbage that others just smile and nod at.. hmmm 
    Don’t worry - I don’t think the egghead forum qualifies as “social media”.  It is a lot closer to asocial media these days.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Cornholio said:
    as long as nobody says “bless your heart” you’re probably ok.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I could go for a good lump debate
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Haven’t ever joined, but may have to check one out — curious about their Friday night zoom calls 🤣
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I've personally been kicked out of several BGE-related Facebook groups for making various comments.  I'm sure this comes as a surprise to absolutely none of you.
    Bro, we all got kicked out of that one group.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    johnnyp said:
    Bro, we all got kicked out of that one group.
    Ha!  I didn't know they booted you too!
  • BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    About 90% of the posts are about "do I buy a large of an XL", 5% are people talking about broken eggs, and the rest are mediocre looking cooks. Agree with what others think--this place remains the spot for real knowledge. I drop in on FB just every once in a while and pass off what I learned here like a wise old man!
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    My friends consider me a bit of a guru when it comes to cooking on the BGE, when, honestly, compared to this group, I am about a strong medium plus.  But, I will confess that all my learnin' has come from this group, circus as it is. Between this forum and Malcom Reed, I am a happy camper.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited May 2020
    I was booted from one as well for answering a question about brisket for a noob. The admin told me he didn’t know me well enough to trust that I would give good advice so until I had actually posted the cook I was commenting on I would need to refrain from offering and advice. 

I was probably actually booted when I told him to go F@ck himself now that I think about it. 
    I remember that. Almost as good as the time some CA vegan blogger type was trying to tell you how to light an egg at the Austin eggfest some years ago. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is the kind of post that demonstrates the shortcomings of the current flag/like/agree whatever buttons. 

I need a “you’re so fvcking right “ button  for this one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    I was booted from one as well for answering a question about brisket for a noob. The admin told me he didn’t know me well enough to trust that I would give good advice so until I had actually posted the cook I was commenting on I would need to refrain from offering and advice. 

I was probably actually booted when I told him to go F@ck himself now that I think about it. 
    I remember that. Almost as good as the time some CA vegan blogger type was trying to tell you how to light an egg at the Austin eggfest some years ago. 
    I still think about that guy to this day. I guess he won because he occupies space in my head 10 years later.  He literally squirted a huge blob of lighter fluid (it was alcohol gel so nbd there) and lit my egg for me.  I said “ hey, I got this”. Then he reached over and shut the dome while the fluid was still burning. We had a different chat after that. And then we didn’t talk any more the rest of the day. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    The one that got my goat was some idiot asking if he should clean his egg with a pressure washer and degreaser on the platesetter! I told by all means do this and then let it dry out... So it would be lighter to carry to the dumpster. You can't fix stupid!
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2020

You can't fix stupid!
    Your forum picture for like the past four years at least has been Hillary Clinton behind bars.