Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex’s Salsa Vault (post yours here too if ya want)

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited May 2020
    @caliking No oil on the peppers. I do peel the blackened skin from the peppers but not from the tomatoes 
    Edit: That’s a half truth. The char is part of the charm of this salsa. If the skins are thick, like on a poblano I will remove it. If it’s a smaller pepper or the skin isn’t thick I usually throw it in the blender without peeling it. 
    On other recipes I always peel a roasted pepper. In this one the char is where you get the “negra” 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon

• Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Shazam!! I'm hoping to be in breakfast taco bliss tomorrow AM. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Ok. Sciaggie salsa negra...

I added a couple of things. Good golly, this stuff smells good!! Letting it rest in the fridge overnight. Plan is for BT’s on the morrow. 

• caliking said:

I added a couple of things. Good golly, this stuff smells good!! Letting it rest in the fridge overnight. Plan is for BT’s on the morrow. 
    This is next on my list. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    caliking said:

That looks great.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking said:

This is next on my list. 
    @Sciaggie was right... it is different. I'm used to more tomatoey, tangy, lime forward salsa. This has a more earthy, warm flavor. Probably from the rehydrated dried chiles. More heat on the back end,  that kind of creeps up on you. First lick tasted great, so really looking forward to what it'll taste like after resting. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking @The Cen-Tex Smoker That’s it - it’s just different - more earthy. That’s a good description. I hope you enjoy it. 
    Now that you’ve cooked it - don’t you see how the recipe should read? 
    Procedure: 
    burn H$ll out of everything. Blend and eat...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629

Made a batch of the 1st salsa @The Cen-Tex Smoker posted. It’s in the fridge awaiting tacos later.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    edited May 2020
    #couldntwait =)

Cut a sweet ataulfo mango and threw it in a portion of the mother batch. 

Great. Googly. Moogly. 

• SciAggie said:
    @caliking @The Cen-Tex Smoker That’s it - it’s just different - more earthy. That’s a good description. I hope you enjoy it. 
    Now that you’ve cooked it - don’t you see how the recipe should read? 
    Procedure: 
    burn H$ll out of everything. Blend and eat...
    I’ve had it. Just never made it. Can’t wait to give it a spin 
  • caliking
    Breakfast of champions...

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    caliking said:
    Breakfast of champions...

Fresh chopped jalapeños, like a boss.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    I also made the first salsa. I think it turned out good. Can't tell with the chips that I chose. It's a very good combo, but it may be the cheese powder! 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Here is my recent concoction. I guessed the measurements of the cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper as I dont typically measure. I also use the entire jalapeno for the heat but obviously that can be adjusted. Quick and easy!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407 said:
    Here is my recent concoction. I guessed the measurements of the cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper as I dont typically measure. I also use the entire jalapeno for the heat but obviously that can be adjusted. Quick and easy!

This is also very "TexMex" style. Good stuff.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited May 2020
    I have made @The Cen-Tex Smoker Austin/San Antonio salsa recipe twice now. I will say that it is outstanding. 
    The second batch was made with the intention of standardizing the recipe. I weighed all the veg ingredients in Grams. This should, in theory, make different batches taste very similar. The only thing that will still be variable is heat level, due to the variations in heat in the Jalapenos. The heat will probably need to be tweaked for each batch.  I didn't measure the lime juice either, next batch I plan to measure the lime.
    I believe the San Marazano tomatoes that are recommended, are very important for this salsa. I was not familiar with this type of tomato. I had to ask The Cen-Tex Smoker for clarification on them. I had noticed that quite a few brands are packed with Basil in the can. I was told, as I suspected, too not use the cans that include the Basil. For reference, I used the "Flora" brand that I found in Publix.

As with most Salsa's, they become significantly better as they sit in the refrigerator. I always allow the salsa to reach room temp before eating. Today is day 4 for the first batch, I believe it has reached peak flavor, unfortunately, no further evaluation will be possible, the bowl is now depleted.

Thanks for an outstanding recipe.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Love everything about this thread!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I made the first one, excellent!  I have a long way to go to get through this thread!!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • hotdog salsa, this ones a sweet habanero
    Grind 1-2 peck green tomatoes, 10 red pimiento peppers, 6 green bell peppers, 5 tiny hot peppers, 10 onions. Drain. Pour boiling water (I didn’t use boiling water) over above and let stand 15 minutes. Drain again. Put vegetables in large kettle, add 1 pint vinegar (5 cups) (barely cover), 3 1-2 cups granulated sugar, 1-4 cup salt, 1-4 cup mustard seed, 3 tablespoons celery seed, *1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon allspice, 1 tablespoon ground cloves* (*omitted*). Bring to a full rolling boil. Pour into sterile jars and seal at once

Can you or someone else give me a brief tutorial on how to can?  I've made salsa before but stopped because it always goes bad before we can finish it.  If I could can and store in the pantry that would be fantastic.  Never done canning before and never seen it done.  
  • caliking
    I intended to take a shot at the fiery habanero salsa posted above...

But meandered and lost my way. Ended up adding some lactofermented carrots and brine from the jar. Now I have hot sauce :)

The aroma of the habaneros on the grill was intoxicating. Only had the 8 habaneros this time, but I’m going for broke and using the recommended 2 dozen next time. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    hotdog salsa, this ones a sweet habanero
    Grind 1-2 peck green tomatoes, 10 red pimiento peppers, 6 green bell peppers, 5 tiny hot peppers, 10 onions. Drain. Pour boiling water (I didn’t use boiling water) over above and let stand 15 minutes. Drain again. Put vegetables in large kettle, add 1 pint vinegar (5 cups) (barely cover), 3 1-2 cups granulated sugar, 1-4 cup salt, 1-4 cup mustard seed, 3 tablespoons celery seed, *1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon allspice, 1 tablespoon ground cloves* (*omitted*). Bring to a full rolling boil. Pour into sterile jars and seal at once

Can you or someone else give me a brief tutorial on how to can?  I've made salsa before but stopped because it always goes bad before we can finish it.  If I could can and store in the pantry that would be fantastic.  Never done canning before and never seen it done.  

its pretty simple and you really want to use a proven recipe that has proper acidity and/or get a ph meter if venturing on your own. you need a pot big enough to fit the jar in with about an inch of boiling water over the top of the covers and a rack under the jar to get the glass off the bottom. lid screws on finger tip tight so air can escape while boiling. air space over salsa about a half inch. out the jars in the boil and wait for it to boil again then wait 15 minutes and remove. wait over night and check that the lids dimpled/sucked down, remove the rings if you want to and reboil any that did not dimple. jar lifter comes in handy from ace.  sterilizing the jars is a waste of time, just wash them and use new lids

easy start is buying the bell blue book. its stupid simple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @caliking - regarding the 24 habanero count salsa, I do roast around 6 tomatillos along wih the two bulbs of garlic cloves and blend it all.  My experience is that the going in heat (I went from 4 to 6 to the full 24 habs and always have some available) is not a whole lot different once I got to six habs.  The full monty has much more staying power after consumption however. 
    There are several here that I need to try. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    hotdog salsa, this ones a sweet habanero

its pretty simple and you really want to use a proven recipe that has proper acidity and/or get a ph meter if venturing on your own. you need a pot big enough to fit the jar in with about an inch of boiling water over the top of the covers and a rack under the jar to get the glass off the bottom. lid screws on finger tip tight so air can escape while boiling. air space over salsa about a half inch. out the jars in the boil and wait for it to boil again then wait 15 minutes and remove. wait over night and check that the lids dimpled/sucked down, remove the rings if you want to and reboil any that did not dimple. jar lifter comes in handy from ace.  sterilizing the jars is a waste of time, just wash them and use new lids

easy start is buying the bell blue book. its stupid simple
    Keep in mind that boiling and pressure canning are two different things. Gotta know that ph to know which one you should do. 
  • caliking
    lousubcap said:
    @caliking - regarding the 24 habanero count salsa, I do roast around 6 tomatillos along wih the two bulbs of garlic cloves and blend it all.  My experience is that the going in heat (I went from 4 to 6 to the full 24 habs and always have some available) is not a whole lot different once I got to six habs.  The full monty has much more staying power after consumption however. 
    I imagine that the difference in flavor between 10 vs 20 habs is likely academic e.g. does one care about he windchill if the outside temp is -15F?? :) 
    But I do want to follow the recipe once to see how it turns out, then modify per taste subsequently. 

• fishlessman
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    I imagine that the diffe =) are about he windchill if the outside temp is -15F?? :) 
    But I do want to follow the recipe once to see how it turns out, then modify per taste subsequently. 

add a 50 mph wind and the beer in your hand freezes way quicker at -15. ask an ice fisherman
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    I imagine that the diffe =) are about he windchill if the outside temp is -15F?? :) 

add a 50 mph wind and the beer in your hand freezes way quicker at -15. ask an ice fisherman
    That's just one of the reasons I don't go icefishing when its -15F, with a 50mph wind.

• fishlessman
    edited May 2020

caliking said:
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:

That's just one of the reasons I don't go icefishing when its -15F, with a 50mph wind.

ive been skiing in worse. 3 days to start a torino in vermont. beers on the bars heating system would freeze in minutes while outside working on the car. melted every wire in the car getting it started with a weld generator but was able to get home
    fukahwee maine

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2020
    NDG said:
    love this thread, can NOT WAIT to try some that you all posted. 
    Here is my go to . . BGE roasted veg = very good.
    • 4 large or 6 small tomatillos, husked (about 8 ounces)
    • 4 plum tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
    • 3 cloves garlic
    • 1 jalapeno
    • 1/2 white onion, halved
    • Vegetable oil, for brushing
    • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    • 1 teaspoon sugar 
    • Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
    • 2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo

Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and onions with some oil and grill over direct heat until char marks appear. Remove from the grill and let cool. To control the spice in your salsa, stem and remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeno for a milder flavor. Combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and onions in a food processor and pulse until mostly pureed, but slightly chunky. Add the cilantro and sugar and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Continue to pulse until pureed. Taste and add more salt and black pepper if desired. Set half of the salsa aside in a serving dish. Add the chipotles to the food processor and pulse with the remaining salsa until combined

I just made this (but used Frontera fire roasted canned tomatoes with chipotle cuz that’s what I had ). It’s awesome! Thanks for sharing. I did add 4 jalapeños instead of 1 😂. This is texas after all. I also doubled the garlic. Great salsa. Thanks for sharing. The lighting is making it look weird. The color is exactly like your (fiery reddish orange). 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I have some veggies standing by for a fire roasted salsa in the next couple of days. I'll limit any hab involvement....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95