Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Big Green Egg worth it?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Probably the wrong group to ask, Dude.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    nope
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Unless you own one you will neverrrrr understand.  The answer is yes for me
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    If you plan on doing much more than an occasional burger then yes is the answer. If you plan on sitting and just looking at it on the deck then the answer is no.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    I sometimes have buyers remorse over a pack of gum. Never looked back after buying my LBGE. In fact, I own two now.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2020
    It's worth it to Boss Lady and me.

I can't imagine a lifestyle without our Large BGE, even with it's pesky underbite.  :)

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Worth it during covid alone, I’ve been using it at least four times per week. I’ve had mine for nine years and counting so the price per year drops with time. 

Home Depot $200 gas grills on the other hand are garbage after a couple of years in most conditions, even here in So Cal. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    All of what @Foghorn said.
    I'll also add that I don't think they are expensive compared to gas grills I see for sale. Most wear out within a few years and the egg just keeps on rolling. Other Kamados may be less expensive, but let's see if they stay around and honor their warranties as well over time.
    I have no buyer's remorse. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    You really can’t do a cost/benefit analysis on hobbies. Otherwise Porsche would go out of business. What you can count on is better and sometimes healthier food than you would have otherwise. Possibly cheaper if you like to frequent sit down restaurants. I know my bank account has been increasing a bit during corona but then I am retired and on a pension. 
    Not all the elaborate accessories are truly necessary, I am using the same medium since 2009, I use 2 grids and three bricks to cook raised direct. I do have  kick ash basket , plate setter, and looftlighter and use Rockwood lump. Rubs are my weakness, I refuse to do an inventory.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I got a new house because of mine!   =)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If any other cooking device can lay claim to helping forge the friendships that a BGE has for me, then sign me up. 

Over the past few years, I’ve made many friends here, some I even consider to be family now. Many have helped me in many different ways, and I’ve tried to pay it forward whenever possible. I probably would not have crossed paths with most of these folks, otherwise. 

My cooking game ramped up because of all kinds of tips and advice gleaned here. Got conned into raising some pigs , and subsequent activities, with some of the deviants here. A few eggfests, Butt Blasts, Brisket Camps later, I can’t keep track of the laughs and good times any more. 

Oh, and I made a couple of warranty claims that couldn’t have gone more. smoothly. 

So, yeah... it’s been worth it.  No blog review, Consumer Reports article, Meathead opinion, etc. will quite get it.  

But that’s ok. Someone has to buy all those pellet poopers =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    yes, yes it is.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Absolutely.  Best food I have ever grilled and smoked has come off of the egg.  I may add a KBQ smoker to the arsenal though in the near future.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• does a wild bear poop in the woods?  
    1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 350
    The same question can be asked about owning a Harley....... you don't know the difference until you ride one
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Love mine.  It spawned an addiction and hobby.  It has been a blast.
  • If you’re on this forum, after reading a good amount of material and still have to ask if it’s worth it?  My guess is the answer for you is “no”.  Go enjoy cooking over Kingsford on a Weber kettle and don’t look back.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Nothing beats sipping bourban while watching smoke slowly leave a Green Egg knowing something good is gonna come off that egg. Except meeting some of these folks (actually charactors) at an event. 
    Egg $ were worth it to me.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Got two,probably good for a minimax soon. Exponentially upped my cooking game and mine is no where near most of this bunch of social miscreants. I fit right in,so yeah and then some.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    FIFO
    I don’t know why everybody always posts these.  Obviously we think it’s worth it, we have one or more and spend a good bit of time on this site.  It’s just an excuse for somebody to clutch their pearls and cry about how somebody on the internet has a different opinion on something.

Because once you lose some of that indignation, it is OBVIOUS that an egg isn't worth it for anyone.  If somebody is looking for a grill to cook burgers and dogs every 1-2 weeks between Memorial Day and Labor Day, there is zero chance I am recommending they spend $800 on a grill.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565

my wife got me my XL because she had heard others talk about them.
    Afterwards since there are only two of us and I have a good gas grill for quick cooks, I gave my Klos offset to her son in law and am happy with it.  The only other cooking accessorie I would like is a good santa maria style grill about 6 ft in width.   
    So my answer is yes but be sure you can buy the accessories/toys you will want with it.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I enjoyed my Big Green Egg for many years.  No regrets.  But I enjoy my Blaze Kamado more.  Hard to go wrong with either.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I love my egg, my cooking abilities went from almost zero to way beyond my expectations. More importantly I have met some of the nicest, most interesting people and made some great friends along the way. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    My egg just destroyed a brisket I put on it the night of the virtual BAM blast.  Down another $60
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    YukonRon said:
    It has been worth it, for me. Lifestyle, meeting new folks, family meals, charity work, dinner parties, it has been both educational, and therapeutic. I own two. I want a third.

Should you look upon it as an investment, maybe not so wise. However if you view it as a tool that provides much for so many, then yes.

Again, the initial purchase is not the most expensive aspect of owning a BGE, it is everthing after. That is the really expensive part.
    Love u YukonRon!  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.