Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @paqman Thanks for sharing the recipe. I wasn’t satisfied with my English muffins and have been scouring YouTube and the internet looking for commonality between the recipes. I’ll give yours a go. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    SciAggie said:
    @paqman Thanks for sharing the recipe. I wasn’t satisfied with my English muffins and have been scouring YouTube and the internet looking for commonality between the recipes. I’ll give yours a go. 
    Please share your results, the recipe needs tweaking (I want to get big nooks and crannies like the store bought ones).  Look and taste are pretty good though.  I’m thinking to try buttermilk and maybe replace part of the AP flour with semolina.

edited April 2020
    This sort of belongs here :)

Sourdough chocolate cake, coffee cream cheese frosting. 

Woke up bright and early to get it done before caliqueen woke up, to surprise her for our anniversary. Hoping she’ll put up with me for a spell longer =)

PS cakes are not quite my forte. I tried. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    caliking said:
    This sort of belongs here :)

Sourdough chocolate cake, coffee cream cheese frosting. 

Woke up bright and early to get it done before caliqueen woke up, to surprise her for our anniversary. Hoping she’ll put up with me for a spell longer =)

PS cakes are not quite my forte. I tried. 
    I'd hit that @caliking !, 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    That's cool Ashish. Happy anniversary. I hope you share many more together.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2020
    5 Plait (Braid) White Sourdough Loaf 
    175g Mature Levain
    4g Instant Yeast
    300g Skim Milk
    20g Water
    50g Melted Unsalted Butter
    525g Generic APF 
    15g Unground Himalayan Salt
    ▶Mixed all ingredients sans water & salt and covered with a damp cloth for 1hr
    ▶Mixed in water & salt and worked into dough matrix for roughly 8 min.
    ▶Allowed to rise
    ▶Punched down
    ▶Weighed out 5 portions to make plaits.  Finished plaits had to be 2x as long as the loaf pan. Seamed together the beginning and end and placed seam at the bottom of the loaf pan.
    ▶Loaf pan was greased with beef tallow and dusted with a 50/50 APF/Rice Flour.
    ▶Allowed second rise
    ▶Gently brushed top with heavy cream and sprinkled with Everything Seasoning
    🔥Baked with cloche cover on 500F 25min and cover off 10min at 450F. Oven Baked but, can just as easily be baked in a BGE or other cooker

Those that follow me on IG may notice that I just did a copy and paste here as far as my recipe and process. I will add that I typically do not use instant yeast.  I did it so I could make this loaf quicker. From the time I mixed all of the ingredients to the time I baked the loaf and was buttering the first slice it wasn't longer than 4-5hrs. In Sourdough Bread world that is pretty damn fast. The other factor is if I had negated the instant yeast by the time the dough had risen for the second time with the braided structure I think it would not have had the same appearance.  The rise would have taken long enough that a lot of that intricate structure would have flattened out. I have made plenty of loaves of bread using the same recipe sans the instant yeast just no plaits.  

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    Thank you. I'll give this a try.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Thanks @lkapigian and @SciAggie. I got lucky with this one (cake... and bride). 

@NPHuskerFL a 3plait braid challenges all my faculties. A 5plait would probably make me combust :) 

• NPHuskerFL
    @caliking IKR🤣 Truth... It was my first time doing any sort of dough plait. Other than pretzels and that's not even in the same spectrum. For me the most challenging part of doing the five plait over say a 3 was the dough sticking.  Considering it was my first time I was probably moving much slower than somebody that did this more often.  With the braids being close to two and a half feet long the last thing I needed was one of the strands to stick to the table or one another which was happening over and over. Although it was easy to release it from the table it was causing the strands to either lose their shape or cause them to be longer which I was not needing.  In the end it worked out.  I can't even imagine wanting to tackle a 9 plait 🤯
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @paqman those English muffins are Gawjus!! Very nice!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    Thanks for the recipe @paqman .  I want to give these another go too. 

Milk makes for a more dense crumb than water. I’ve tried 50% milk, 50% water when making hamburger buns and was pretty happy with the result. 

Re: nooks and crannies, I think splitting with a fork , instead of slicing with a knife, does a lot for making that look.

Nooks and crannies are crucial for providing traction for English muffin sammich contents!

• NPHuskerFL
    Here's the recipe to my loaf that is currently being cold proofed. This is a 75% hydration loaf.  All folds were coil folds and went as gentle as possible on the last several sets. Final shaping iron hands in velvet gloves.
    100g Overnight Mature Levain
    420g Cool Water
    460g Nature's Legacy VitaSpelt
    100g K.A. Organic Whole Wheat
    12g Unground Himalayan Salt

Pic order Vanilla🙄

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Don't waste your discard

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    @NPHuskerFL @caliking I’m making a stab at focaccia today. I’m scaling for a loaf(?) that’s 500 grams total. It’s 80% hydration - yee ha....
    We’ll know in a while...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    @SciAggie Gary 80%-90% on focaccia was a good feel imho
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    @NPHuskerFL @caliking I’m making a stab at focaccia today. I’m scaling for a loaf(?) that’s 500 grams total. It’s 80% hydration - yee ha....
    We’ll know in a while...
     It's as if you live in my head...

I've had focaccia on the brain for some time ( read: years)  and finally decided to take a crack at it this week. Smitten after watching an episode of Samin Nosrat's Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat where she makes Ligurian focaccia in Italy. It was... sensual. Haven't been able to forget it. Then someone posted about Brad Leone's It's Alive! series, and wouldn't you know that one episode features Samin Nosrat making focaccia. 

Anyways, I tried to reverse engineer the recipe from the SFAH episode, and will marry it  with the recipe from the It's Alive episode, to hopefully turn out something good. I'll start on it tonight.

• SciAggie
    caliking said:

I've had focaccia on the brain for some time ( read: years)  and finally decided to take a crack at it this week. Smitten after watching an episode of Samin Nosrat's Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat where she makes Ligurian focaccia in Italy. It was... sensual. Haven't been able to forget it. Then someone posted about Brad Leone's It's Alive! series, and wouldn't you know that one episode features Samin Nosrat making focaccia. 

Anyways, I tried to reverse engineer the recipe from the SFAH episode, and will marry it  with the recipe from the It's Alive episode, to hopefully turn out something good. I'll start on it tonight.
    Ha! I watched both of those myself. The episode with Brad Leone last night. 
    Here’s the recipe I’m using. Since it’s in baker’s percentage I just scaled it back by 50%
    https://www.theperfectloaf.com/a-simple-focaccia/
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @SciAggie Gary 80%-90% on focaccia was a good feel imho
    After 3 folds 80% is actually feeling manageable. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    We’ll know in a while...

No need to completely reverse engineer her recipe:

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    We’ll know in a while...

No need to completely reverse engineer her recipe:

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

I’ve seen that recipe on her website before, developed with Josey Baker. It’s what she uses in the It’s Alive episode. 

The recipe from the 1st episode of SFAH doesn’t state any amounts of ingredients,  and includes some other ingredients e.g. malt extract. It looked so damn near perfect! 

As with many other recipes, I’ll take a  shot at it, and then tweak as necessary. Or steal it from someone here :)

• SciAggie
    edited April 2020
    I’m in a bread coma. This focaccia is SO good. This is definitely a cook I’ll be making again.
    I posted the recipe to @caliking a couple of posts above. I cut it in half to make this fit in an 8”x8” pan.

This ended up cooking at about 375 degrees for about 35 minutes. 
    It’s crispy, salty, olive oily, and freaking delicious. 

It did try to stick to the bottom of the pan. Next time I’ll add parchment paper to the bottom. It was swimming in olive oil so I don’t think that was the issue. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @caliking I followed the recipe I shared with you exactly. I cut everything in half. The final rise took longer than what the recipe said but that’s just because it was a bit cooler than normal in the house. I just let it go until it was bubbly and well risen. 
    I just can’t tell you how good this was. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Gary @SciAggie that focaccia is on point!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Gary @SciAggie that focaccia is on point!
    My wife laughed at me. I was acting like a kid on Christmas morning when it came out of the oven. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    @SciAggie That looks superb. Perfection! That's the kind of focaccia I've been dreaming of.

My dough is looking nice and jiggly. Will bake shortly, so hoping to have focaccia with lunch :)

• caliking
    Not “Wild” yeast, but figured I’d post it here as (lesser) follow-up to SciAggie’s focaccia. 

Samin Nosrat’s Salt Fat Acid Heat recipe, with diastatic malt added (saw it in the TV episode). 

The good: it was TASTY!! Crispy, crunchy, nice chew. Salty, herby, oily, and oh so good. 

The not so good: the website recipe seems to call for baking on a stone, which hindered the bottom crust. And even though it was almost floating in EVOO, the darn thing nearly stuck to the pan. I think the diastatic malt also made it rise more than I wanted it to. 

What made it worthwhile: caliqueen said it was the best focaccia she’s eaten, and caliprince snarfed some down with his lunch. So I consider it a win!

Will try the sourdough version next. It can only get better. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    caliking said:
    The not so good: the website recipe seems to call for baking on a stone, which hindered the bottom crust. And even though it was almost floating in EVOO, the darn thing n
    @caliking I’m I reading correctly that you are suggesting NOT baking on a stone?

@caliking I’d happily share that with you over a glass of fermented something or other...
    Mine tried to stick to the pan as well. I intend to add parchment to the bottom on the next round. There will definitely be a next round too. 
    Looking at the color on yours. I ended up cooking mine at about 375 instead of the recommended 450 degrees. The bottom was still crunchy (not burned) and the top browned nicely. 
    What temp did you bake yours?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    @Sciaggie - 425F x 25mins. I liked how the top turned out, but The bottom could have been crispier/crunchier. I think the stone was the problem.

@paqman - In the Its Alive episode with Brad Leone, and the SFAH episode, they baked it in a sheet pan, without a stone. The recipe on the SFAH website was a bit confusing - sort of sounded like you're supposed to bake directly on a stone, but I was wary of baking dough that oily, in that manner. So placed the sheet pan on a heated stone. I'll ditch the stone next time, and bake in the sheet pan, directly on the oven rack. 

• SciAggie
    I may have learned something about bread making today. The loaf I made this morning slumped a fair bit when I turned it from the banneton. It slumped more when I slashed it. 
    I didn’t get the oven spring I wanted. It was a little gummy (not bad) on the inside even though I know the bread was done. Internal temp was 208 when I pulled the loaf. 

So my diagnosis is that it was over proofed. I pushed it pretty far in the bulk phase, building on what I did the other day. This loaf also hung out in the refrigerator for about 18 hours before I baked it - I usually bake them after about 12 hours. 

They had to be over proofed because I know there was plenty of strength and tension when I formed the loaves. I really felt like this loaf taught me something. 

So now I’m going to dial things back on the next loaves and see how they respond. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon