Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Local Grocery had pork butts bogo

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Going to do a peach butt this week. I will start the brine today and let go a couple days, pull it from the brine, apply the rub of a special blend that offers a sweet and spicy heat. Let it sit for 8 hours, then slather with peach preserves and smoke with peach wood at 225⁰F.

Will be adding pictures to this thread as the process unfolds.

This is absolutely one of our most favorite cooks. The char is absolutely delicious. It is fought over around here, and the aroma of the cook brings people to fence asking what that glorious smell is coming from.

We will see how it goes.

Stay safe, wash your hands, and look after others which could need some help during these times.

Think globally, act locally.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• YukonRon
    Options
    Have all the essentials in place to start the brining. 
    I recommend a couple shots of bourbon in the coffee to start.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Standing by. I will try this recipe as soon as I am able to obtain a couple of butts. Not sure why I have’t cooked it before. The one thing I have learned on this forum is when someone declares a recipe to be truly exceptional - it is. In the short term I’ll just have to settle for looking at your pictures and licking the screen.  
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2020
    Options
    On a scale, place your container and set the scale to zero then add 12 oz of pickling salt. ZERO THE SCALE AGAIN, then add 8 oz of molasses. Then add 4 quarts of water. Whisk until completely blended. 

Brine is ready for the butt. If you do not have a fridge large enough, place a bag of ice in the container over the butt for at least 8 hours, 12 hours is Ideal.

Trimmed butt of all the hard fat and remove excess.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Before trimming, place pork butt in freezer for 20-30 mins to make it easier to trim. Just a hint for help, it helps my lousy carving skills. I have not lost an eye yet doing it this way. Yet.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The bourbon is in french pressed, freshly coarse ground coffee beans mixed 1:1 with Duncan's donuts house blend and cheap french roast. Add vanilla creamer....not a bad way to start the day, afternoon, evening, week....whatever.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Thanks for the brine recipe. I can think of a couple of rubs that I have that would work.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    How it looks prior to whisking and blending. I use pickling salt and molasses, because it is easier to blend than sugar and table salt, also seems to blend into the meat during the brine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    whisking does not take long just a few minutes...maybe 5....and make sure you scrape and incorporate all off the bottom.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    This was about a 10# butt prior to prep and fat removal. Wr like ours without a heavy layer of fat, for health and flavor profile. I easily carved off about a pound of fat.

Many like to leave it on, however, I do not because of the peach glaze....it gets wasted when covering fat.

I could have removed more,  but this is where I have had about my best luck.

Now it goes into the cold brine for at least 12 hours.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Due to the size and the container size it is not completely covered. I will be adding a little extra time and flip every 4-6 hours. The plan is starting tomorrow at 0600. I have done this previously, results were excellent.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    https://youtu.be/AOh9LHhpryM

A tribute to the Drummer of REM. He passed away with a very long battle with cancer.

Kind of a pertinent message for us all.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looking good so far Ron. Thanks for step by step detail. I keep saying I need to do this. My next butt will definitely be this. Thanks. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    I hope the folks that make the decisions, really think about what they want us to do. I hope Trump will act as if he will be out in the public workforce on April 13.

Hoping for miracles.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Looking good so far Ron. Thanks for step by step detail. I keep saying I need to do this. My next butt will definitely be this. Thanks. 
    I try to do this once a year, (some years are better than others) and give those new to the forum something to reference, should they wish to try it.

Thank you for your kind words, means a lot.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Standing by. I will try this recipe as soon as I am able to obtain a couple of butts. Not sure why I have’t cooked it before. The one thing I have learned on this forum is when someone declares a recipe to be truly exceptional - it is. In the short term I’ll just have to settle for looking at your pictures and licking the screen.  
    I think you will take this and make it a masterpiece. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thanks for the brine recipe. I can think of a couple of rubs that I have that would work.
    Nice thing about this cook is the layers upon layers of flavor.

You will taste it all. It is so delicious.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Ever since the Super Bowl, I’ve been giving butts another look.   

Thanks for the great Tutorial!!!

cant wait to see it all!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Ever since the Super Bowl, I’ve been giving butts another look.   

Thanks for the great Tutorial!!!

cant wait to see it all!
    I hope I can help others try something new. If not new, then different.
    Fortunately the very first time I tried this it came out awesome.
    It is pretty easy....just dial in the BGE and let her rip after the prep.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Thank you for posting the detailed instructions and pics.  I'll be giving this a try on my next butt cook.  Looking forward to the continued posts and the final results!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Thank you for posting the detailed instructions and pics.  I'll be giving this a try on my next butt cook.  Looking forward to the continued posts and the final results!
    Thank you for the kind words. I hope anyone compelled to try this cook success and maybe they will branch out and try it on Ribs, cops and other toasts...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Setting up the XL for the early morning cook start. I am using 2 of my favorite cooking tools for this; Rockwood and Fruta Peach smoking wood. The pieces you see in the mix are 2"x2" or smaller. I am using 4- 5 pieces to get an equivalent fist sized chunk.

Used 24 pieces mixed throughout.

A couple more turns in the brine and a 5:00 a.m. wake up starting the fire...settling on 225⁰F. Then remove the butt from the brine for a sweet and spicy rub, then cover with peach preserves elevated in the dome, indirect until done.

See you tomorrow.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    I can’t wait to see the next steps!  I will be trying this next time I get a butt for sure.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    I can’t wait to see the next steps!  I will be trying this next time I get a butt for sure.
    I have had a couple folks tell me it is the real deal. I hope that should you choose to do it, your results will be just as good.

Every body has their preferences with the egg fol low and slow cooking and smoking. I have tried every size chunk of smoking wood out there, and for me, these work the best with my XL. I purchase 50 boxes every time I order, primarily peach and pecan.

Early morning for this old man.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Just one more thing.....kudos to Trump for dialing back the April 12 date.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thank You for your technique, looks very interesting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Thank You for your technique, looks very interesting
    It is very simple. A bit of work on the prep side, but well worth it.

Thank you for looking and the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Just had another BGE member ask me about bourbon slushies.

I wish I could take credit for these, but it is My Beautiful Wife who got the recipe at church.

Here is the formula and directions:
    1 - 12oz Frozen Lemonade Concentrate
    1 - 12oz Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate 
    2 cups Unsweetened Ice Tea
    3 cups Bourbon (more if you are manly)
    7 cups Water
    1 cup Sugar
    mix all until sugar dissolves 
    Freeze overnight.
    Enjoy.

BE CAREFUL! These things can fool you.

Makes a great marinade too. I self marinade a lot.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky