Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Local Grocery had pork butts bogo

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    thetrim said:
    That ALL looks totally incredible!!!

The pulled pork BBQ, with the sauce and the remaining preserves added was incredible. Threw on some dill pickles and vidalia onions....ho Lee  she it.
    Best Q sammie I have ever had.

Thank you for the kind words. I love cooking these bone-in pork butts. So many ways to enjoy these cooks. 2 pounds in the sauce feeds a family of four 3-4 meals.

Anything left over goes great in a breakfast burrito with eggs and cheese. That is what you should try.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I get it @buzd504, I was talking about traveling in to our Commonwealth. 

Awesome take on the Chili.....share a recipe?

Thanx in advance.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Thanks YukonRon, great forum thread with many new ideas I can use...... the butt recipe of course, the rice/bean/pork patties, the slushies.  All good stuff there.  Your results look wonderful!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Thanks YukonRon, great forum thread with many new ideas I can use...... the butt recipe of course, the rice/bean/pork patties, the slushies.  All good stuff there.  Your results look wonderful!
    Thank you for the kind words. I just hope I can help.

I usually make a bleu cheese/sriracha coleslaw with it, but, I will do that one with my next brisket cook. It is killer on sammies or as a side.

Have fun cooking, that is what this is all about, and when it turns out great, even better.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I definitely need to make bourbon slushies.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Everytime we have made them, they were a hit. We made 10 gallons last year for BB19, none made it until Sunday morning.

Quit making them in the 'hood.....never can make enough.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I get it @buzd504, I was talking about traveling in to our Commonwealth. 

Awesome take on the Chili.....share a recipe?

Thanx in advance.

My bad, I misunderstood.

The chili was just kind of using up what was laying around.  Chopped up some onions and sweated them. Added a couple of bell peppers, habeneros, jalapenos, and some garlic for a minute or two.  Tossed in a diced butternut squash and let that go for a while.

Deglazed with a couple of healthy glugs of redwine.  Added the pulled pork, some roma tomatoes, oregano, a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of rotel, a can of green chilis, a can of fire roasted and can of black beans.

Seasoned liberally with chili powder, some cumin, a little cinnamon, S&P.  Thinned with chicken stock as cooking warranted. 

Took about an hour or so overall.  Was great.
    NOLA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    No worries.....
    I gotta clean out the fridge. I was kinda on the same line as you.

That throw together looks really good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Went to the grocery this morning, first thing. Tou could have taken everything in the store and put it in 6 aisles easily.

Bought the last jug of evoo anywhere in this area.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The main purpose of this thread was basically to provide solutions to folks out there on meals during the lock down.

You can get a lot of meals from a shoulder or butt roast. Thinking for the long game now will help tremendously moving forward through this pandemic.

Stay safe. Wash your hands as often as you can, check on those that could use some help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Any difference using Kosher instead of Pickling Salt? Other than texture of the two and therefore more easily dissolved? One for one substitution?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    As mentioned initially,  the only reason I used pickeling salt was for the ease in blending the brine.

You could use whatever you wish. Previously I used brown sugar and table salt. It took a while to get it mixed properly. 

The molasses and pickeling salt seemed to provide a better end result in the mixture, as well as, a more flavorful taste, in my personal opinion.

Best of luck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Moving on......pecan roasted chicken  and mushrooms in chicken noodle soup.

Yes, please.
    NOLA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Moving on......pecan roasted chicken  and mushrooms in chicken noodle soup.
    I can almost taste the umami! Mmmm mushrooms!
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Ron, the rub that you used, commercial or homemade? You were detailed about every other aspect so I have to believe homemade. Fruita is currently out of Pecan but have the Peach ready to purchase. Thanks for the cook. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    can't do the 'shrooms, but everything else looks and sounds amazing.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @moleman

It was homemade. I might be able to tell you what was in it, and doubtful on approximate amounts.....but I just pour, mix, taste, then add, mix, taste, until I get the proper flavor profile of sweet and spiced heat that I  am looking for.

Here is the list:

Brown sugar
    Smoked Paprika
    Dehydrated Onion
    Garlic
    Bell Pepper
    Mustard Seed
    Celery Seed
    Cayenne
    Black Pepper
    Ancho Chili Pepper
    Dry Ground Mustard
    Onion Powder
    Cumin
    Salt
    Celery salt.

And just for kicks, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning because I use it on everything. I think it is in our children's DNA at this point, as is the list above.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to list it, I appreciate it Yukonron, peach from fruita on the way soon

• buzd504
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @moleman

And just for kicks, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning because I use it on everything. I think it is in our children's DNA at this point, as is the list above.

As one that has also grown up with Tony's, I recently discovered this one:

I'm not sure of their distribution, but it has more of a chipotle kick and less salt.  I'm not tossing the Tony's, but Oh my!  has its role. 

NOLA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Thank you for taking the time to list it, I appreciate it Yukonron, peach from fruita on the way soon

No problem. Let me know If I can be of further assistance.

Peach and pecan smoke is good on wings too....just don't use as much, no more than 4-6 of the 2x2 chunks.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    YukonRon said:
    @moleman

As one that has also grown up with Tony's, I recently discovered this one:

I'm not sure of their distribution, but it has more of a chipotle kick and less salt.  I'm not tossing the Tony's, but Oh my!  has its role. 

I will find it.....thank you for the heads up....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks YukonRon for helping me spending my retirement $$ on peach wood!
     =) 
    15# bag is ordered & delivered from Fruita Wood  :o
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Thanks YukonRon for helping me spending my retirement $$ on peach wood!
     =) 
    15# bag is ordered & delivered from Fruita Wood  :o
    @l@loco_engr

I have said it a million times, the least expensive aspect of the Big Green Egg, is the initial purchase. The money you spend after that, is unreal.
    Smoking wood, lump, aluminum foil, knives, cutting boards, thermo pins, IR guns, smoke ware, kick ash baskets, tongs, bigger tongs,  freezers, bigger freezer, the biggest freezer you should have got, your 2nd bge,
    Landscaping, outdoor kitchens, sound systems, video systems, food warmers, coolers, bigger coolers, kitchen remodel, new patio furniture, and it just keeps going.

Wallet genocide, tell the kids to learn a trade.....they should be paying rent at 15.....

Just kidding. Or am I?

Good luck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    @YukonRon Brined overnight and loved the color this morning. Found some peach wood chips, so rolling with those. Really looking forward to the finished product this evening. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Standing by for the results....looking great. 
    Pro tip, open a bottle of a great pinot noir Rosé if you can find it, or any adult beverage of your choice, after you pull from the BGE.....pull some of the char off the grate...(chef's gift) and enjoy.

Love that stuff. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    Options
    Looking good @CigarCityEgger Where'd you find the peach wood?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    @thetrim amazon was the best I could do on short notice. 

• thetrim
    Options
    @thetrim amazon was the best I could do on short notice. 

K thanks. I thought it might’ve been a local place.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options

@y@YukonRon

This came out exceptional! Probably gonna be be go to for pork butts from now on.  Can’t wait to try it on a rack of ribs too..