Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Boiled some ribs

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
edited March 2020 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday was my youngest son’s 21st birthday. He is a good sport but what a bummer to have to be locked down on your 21st. We seem to do tepanyaki on special occasions more often than not and he requested it for this special day as well. 

I got some wagyu strips and chicken thighs to grill and I made the “Japanese style ribs” from The Japanese Grill cookbook. They called for a braise so I rolled with it and bawled me up some ree-ubs!  I would prefer them smoked but they They were really good. The sauce was awesome and you aren’t getting that without braising some fatty meat in there. I have plenty left over and another rack of ribs so I think I’ll smoke this rack and glaze them with the leftover sauce. 

Janell made some cake pops using Brave Tart (Stella Parks) red velvet cake and butter cream frosting. Very cool book and awesome cake. 

We also made him a signature cocktail with his favorite soda. Jaritos Mandarin soda, Clementine juice, whipped cream vodka, and a splash of champagne on top. Like a boozy Orange Julius. 

We had everyone on both sides of the family face time in for toasts throughout the night. We all had fun and if he was bothered at all by it, he didn’t show it. Gotta work with what you have! 

Hope all you guys and gals are hanging in there! Life goes on, even if you have to adjust a little. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    You make boiled ribs look good!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I should add that the ribs were glazed and grilled hot on LBGE. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'd love the rib sauce recipe if you don't mind sharing.  They look tasty and those cake pops are awesome!  He'll definitely remember his 21st......I only remember the early afternoon portion of mine. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Pretty Cool and Happy Birthday to your Son 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Great job considering the event and lockdown.

21, huh? I can't even....
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited March 2020
    I’m not sure I need this kind of cognitive disequilibrium right now...
    “boiled ribs” and “they were really good” in the same post?

These times are stressful enough without this kind of information. Thanks? 

They do look tasty. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Excellent.  Best wishes to him.

Now I think there may be a forum-driven run on tepanyaki tables.  Can I build one into an outdoor kitchen?
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2020
    Love that Korean style BBQ burner you got there. I've always thought it would be cool to have a large round outdoor patio table with a Weber kettle set flush in the center, and everyone would sit around it cooking their own skewered food like this. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SciAggie
    The Wok Shop sells cast iron Korean BBQ grills like that. I’ve never used one. Hmm....
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • I'd love the rib sauce recipe if you don't mind sharing.  They look tasty and those cake pops are awesome!  He'll definitely remember his 21st......I only remember the early afternoon portion of mine. 

• Legume said:
    Excellent.  Best wishes to him.

Now I think there may be a forum-driven run on tepanyaki tables.  Can I build one into an outdoor kitchen?
    Hell yes! 
  • SonVolt said:
    Love that Korean style BBQ burner you got there. I've always thought it would be cool to have a large round outdoor patio table with a Weber kettle set flush in the center, and everyone would sit around it cooking their own skewered food like this. 
    This is the best setup. My Japanese friend uses this one but I already had the stove part so I bought the top at H-Mart for like $20. Hers is better if you are starting from scratch but we like our setup too. 

• SciAggie
    Seriously - great way to handle a tough situation. I’m sure you made his birthday special. We’re all learning new ways to show folks how much we care.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    The Wok Shop sells cast iron Korean BBQ grills like that. I’ve never used one. Hmm....
    Sweet! I just cost you some Gary dollars. I have won the day. Super fun and communal (maybe not the best time for that) way to cook. It’s always our go-to when we want to celebrate and have fun around the table. Great to do with friends and some good sake or cocktails. 
  • SonVolt said:
    This is the best setup. My Japanese friend uses this one but I already had the stove part so I bought the top at H-Mart for like $20. Hers is better if you are starting from scratch but we like our setup too. 

And mine has stone in the middle so it’s like cooking on hot rock in the middle and Korean bbq grill around the edges which is kinda cool

i think you can get my setup for around $50-$60 if I ever right. We have gotten WAY more use out of than that. One of our best investments/use per dollar spent ever. LBGE is probably #1 in that department though. 
  • SciAggie said:
    I’m not sure I need this kind of cognitive disequilibrium right now...
    “boiled ribs” and “they were really good” in the same post?

These times are stressful enough without this kind of information. Thanks? 

They do look tasty. 
    Everyone loved them. I think they would have been better with some smoke but I wanted to follow the recipe through on this one. Glad I did but I’ll get some smoke on them next time. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Very much a memorable 21st b'day. Emphasis on memorable. Kudos to y'all for celebrating his milestone in style. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • That all looks awesome. I'm sure your son will remember his 21st better than I do. Happy Birthday!
    XL BGE
    Malden, MA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited March 2020
    Awesome, thank you for posting.  Now I have a new recipe saved and a new item on my Amazon wish list.  Thank you for sharing.  Ready for some 'boiled ribs'  If I can find some ribs..  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Are you willing to share what book that came out of, looks interesting!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Great cook on an amazing occasion.   I agree it sucks to turn 21 under the Covid lockdown.  BTW, the signature cocktail sounds freaking awesome!   I will be making that soon.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    We’re going to be celebrating a sweet 16 under lockdown in a couple weeks.  I hope she is even close to as understanding as your son was. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop said:
    Are you willing to share what book that came out of, looks interesting!
    The Japanese Grill. Awesome book. I believe that @CPARKTX2 turned me on to it when he was just @CPARKTX before the great member purge of 2019

• thetrim said:
    Great cook on an amazing occasion.   I agree it sucks to turn 21 under the Covid lockdown.  BTW, the signature cocktail sounds freaking awesome!   I will be making that soon.  
    I believe I will have one right now. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I will continue to thumb my nose at boiled ribs -- but not those boiled ribs. They look terrific!
    Stillwater, MN

• Ha ha! I have to send him that. Crazy times we are living in!