Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OHIO response to COVID19

Options

Comments

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    The lab coats are probably correct in their modeling of severe cases; there will be countless cases of mild reactions of the virus that will never seek medical attention, those will never be counted, but a reasonable model will be developed. When this is all over the numbers will probably be similar to the 2009 swine flu (59 million contracted it, 265000 hospitalized, and 18000 fatalities in the US, between March 2009, and March 2010; to go along will terrifying numbers world wide), but an incalculable amount of damage will happen in peoples lives from an overzealous misguided one size fits all approach that puts the truly vulnerable in more danger, and hinders the rest from living normal lives.  

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    rcone said:
    The lab coats are probably correct in their modeling of severe cases; there will be countless cases of mild reactions of the virus that will never seek medical attention, those will never be counted, but a reasonable model will be developed. When this is all over the numbers will probably be similar to the 2009 swine flu (59 million contracted it, 265000 hospitalized, and 18000 fatalities in the US, between March 2009, and March 2010; to go along will terrifying numbers world wide), but an incalculable amount of damage will happen in peoples lives from an overzealous misguided one size fits all approach that puts the truly vulnerable in more danger, and hinders the rest from living normal lives.  

Given the fact we are early on in this and already at a 2% mortality rate versus infections, which should be enough to get people attention......the predictable model is at 4%, and that is the ultra conservative from a government agency in an election year. (You make your own decision) Epidemiologists from around the world go higher.

There is more to come. Just be mindful and protect yourself and your family.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My province (Canadian equivalent of a U.S. state) ordered the closing of all bars, theatres, gyms, ski hills, sugar shacks, arcades, and pools to impede the spread of COVID-19. Restaurants are also being asked to limit the capacity of their business to 50 per cent to maintain a distance between customers. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Botch said:
    A bit of perspective:

Can you say "exponential growth"?   ;)
    Comparative figures are meaningless because of differences in numbers tested / testing protocol.

So far, I'm on board with letting it spread slowly in the general population while protecting vulnerable groups. But, you have to know what is going on, and that means testing.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,983
    Options
    rcone said:

You will be hard pressed to find many lab coats comparing this to the swine flu, unless it is to draw a contrast.  

The data on H1N1 is public and a matter of historical record.  It took us six months to reach 20k cases of H1N1 in the US.  We will likely reach that number for COVID-19 in a matter of weeks.  We are probably already there, but our testing has been anemic.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    A wild read on why South Korea was, on one hand, seemingly well prepared to deal with Covid19 and, on the other hand, how it spread so rapidly in parts of the country.

The article is about two weeks old so at this point most of the numbers mentioned are obsolete.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    rcone said:

You will be hard pressed to find many lab coats comparing this to the swine flu, unless it is to draw a contrast.  

The data on H1N1 is public and a matter of historical record.  It took us six months to reach 20k cases of H1N1 in the US.  We will likely reach that number for COVID-19 in a matter of weeks.  We are probably already there, but our testing has been anemic.
    Would the person who disagreed with this post like to own up to that or maybe reassess?  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    rcone said:

Would the person who disagreed with this post like to own up to that or maybe reassess?  
    People that are ignorant will die from karma. 

Options
    Schools in Florida closed now until April 15th.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,670
    Options
    I don’t think karma applies to ignorance?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    People who know more about government than me.... how can a governor shut down all privately owned restaurants ? Illinois Gov did it too. How can they do that to a privately owned business ?
    Laws for emergencies were granted by the legislatures way back when. They delegated the power to the governor.
    Ah.... it’s happened here in Indiana now too. Best part of my work day is going to the 65 year old diner for lunch.  Ruined 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year. They just are feeding it to folks a few weeks at a time. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    I don’t think karma applies to ignorance?
    Sadly, no.  No, it does not.   :s

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    DeWine for president 2024!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I agree with the “disagree”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year. They just are feeding it to folks a few weeks at a time. 
    Hopefully this ain’t true. Do we get a refund on the thousands of dollars of tuition I already paid in? Louisiana says April 14 return date
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    But why?  Which part did you find disagreeable?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    thetrim said:
    Hopefully this ain’t true. Do we get a refund on the thousands of dollars of tuition I already paid in? Louisiana says April 14 return date
    I think it’s a safe bet that it will be online classes at best until the end of the semester.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Honestly he has been a fine governor. I really saw his candor a few weeks ago when he was holding a speaker phone with Arnold to the microphone talking about the decision to not allow spectators to the Arnold classic.  The terminator was going on and on and on it was pretty funny. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    He seriously after putting us all to sleep said “Hasta la vista baby” 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    It's always entertaining when Fox News decides that they have to do a 180 and actually start dealing honestly with reality. I'm guessing they came to the stark realization that their prime demographic is also the group most likely to die from Covid19.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    It's always entertaining when Fox News decides that they have to do a 180 and actually start dealing honestly with reality. I'm guessing they came to the stark realization that their prime demographic is also the group most likely to die from Covid19.

Flint, Michigan
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Day 2 of working from home do to the virus. Not sure if I'm coming down with the corona or hungover...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options

I imagine that these will get a lot of airplay closer to the election.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    Options
    Pretty interesting

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great responses from great leaders during turbulent times for America:

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."- FDR

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."- JFK

"The buck stops here" - HST

And this one from, well you know......

"I don't take responsibility at all."- DJT

He gone....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Great responses from great leaders during turbulent times for America:

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."- FDR

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."- JFK

"The buck stops here" - HST

And this one from, well you know......

"I don't take responsibility at all."- DJT

He gone....
    About that...
    https://youtu.be/pB5vmhZjIqM
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
     I flagged you because I was suddenly feeling left out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.