Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Corona Virus: How are you preparing? - OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,498
edited March 2020 in Off Topic
First of all, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, this is a thread about how YOU are preparing for the upcoming months, not about how our guv'mint is doing; I'd not like to see this thread sunk by the weekend, and I think it could be helpful to many of us.  If you want to address our guv'mint's response, please start a different thread.  Thank you.

Two things kinda hit me between the eyes today, watching the news.  First, 16 states have now reported a coronavirus (CV) infection, despite the efforts to protect our borders.  With cross-country travel at the level it is, I can't help but believe the virus is already in all 50 states.  The second thing, which really struck me, was today's report that the virus can survive on a hard surface, for up to nine days!  This has me wondering if the quarantining is already way too late.  

I haven't purchased any masks nor hand sanitizer, and couldn't now if I wanted to.  Really wish the stockpile had been reserved for the medical community, but probably too late for that.

You younger folks, with kids (especially if both parents work): what are you planning to do, if the schools in your area are shut down?  How long can you keep that change?

All: Have you/are you stockpiling any food?  I could keep going without leaving the house for about a month, same with water (although that's for earthquake insurance, don't see how the CV could adversely affect the water supply).

Do you plan on curtailing travel, even going to public gatherings in your own area?  Now, or after the first confirmation happens in your community?  What's your plan?

Are you still going to the SC Butt Blast?  Are you flying there?

Today I went to the gym.  The machines I used looked dry (I towel off any machine after I use them).  I heard a few people cough.  I sneezed, once.  I, for now, will continue to go.  For now.  (Right now, on PBS, a report about how attendance at an Iran gym dropped over 50%; and over 10% of their governing body are now sick!)

Those of you who cook for a living, or charity, or for your neighborhoods; are you going to continue?  What would have to happen to cause you to stop?  

There are at least a couple medical field professionals on this site, I will especially like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

Me?  Given my two eye-opening items mentioned above, I'm not going to try to take any excess measures (I've usually washed my hands at the appropriate times, and will continue to do so, good soap supply :D ).  I will continue to "go out" into public spaces.  If this virus is as communicable, and as durable, as it seems to be, we're probably all going to get it, eventually (the hot upcoming summer may kill it off, at least as long enough for scientists to develop a vaccine.  Maybe)  I'm of the age group now that I'd be at risk, but I think I'm healthy enough I'd survive it.  But of course, I have no idea; we'll find out.  

This would've been a better Friday thread, but this is moving fast.  What are your thoughts/preparations?  

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,367
    Options
    Nothing more than washing my hands with greater frequency and douching my hands with hand sanitizer when a sink isn't available. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I understand your concerns. 

During the first part of February, when the story on CV was getting some steam from the media, and after we returned from Italy, I had a physical exam.

I asked my personal physician, then what he thought the chances of CV becoming a global issue.

He said it would likely spread around the world, but, he was sure the WHO and (Sorry Botch) the CDC and our Federal Government was all over it. Well he was right; it has spread around the world.

He told me to wash my hands as many times a day as possible, carry hand disinfectant, and be very careful in crowded areas.

Airports and hospitals were going to be the worst areas to contact CV and any other venue crowded with world travelers.

I have no plans to curtail travel. I can work from home if needed, and as far as stocking up, we would be good for a month or two.
    Freezer is full, cupboards too. Wine racks are full. We should be fine.

Hope all is well with you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I stopped going to Korean massage parlors. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I’m doing absolutely nothing.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    This sounds like a plan...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I could shut my doors at home for a few months and be alright. Might have to set up a shooting range in the garage to keep boredom at bay. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I ordered a 36 pack of toilet paper on Costco.com today. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,216
    Options
    I don’t keep a freezer full of food so I went out and grabbed enough protein to get by for a about two weeks. Bought a couple of bottles of Nyquil, some Advil, and some extra toilet paper. We bought masks three weeks ago. I’ll probably increase the stash as I see stuff on sale. Even if this pans out to be nothing, it’s a wake up call that I need to be a little more prepared than I have been. I’ve gotten complacent. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    I am just going to avoid air travel until summer. Flies and colds generally burn out by then. I might start using the drive through at my pharmacy. I might get some of those disposable Chlorox wipes to carry to the gym and I have some gloves that I could use. I won’t stockpile food but I also won’t shop at Walmart. Avoiding pharmacies, hospitals, and doctors offices will help. 
    Really the regular flu killed over 10,000 this season so far. I think the average fatality rate in the US is way under 3%, not like the Black Death or even the Spanish Flue.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just found this. Seems like it’s a lot like the flu for my age group.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    We probably have a lower rate than the Chinese also. Better medical care and sanitation.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    When bourbon slushies are a treatment regimen, compliance will go WAY up!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’ll just point out that attending Butt Blast will be a surefire way to stop this virus in its tracks.  No virus can take that many bourbon slushies.
     I'm going to float this idea at work tomorrow. Should result in my appointment as the Covid-19 Czar 'round here.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Was supposed to leave tomorrow AM for my wife's President's Club Trip to Jamaica.

Got cancelled around 3 PM today. About 450 people.

We have rallied a small group of 10 to leave Thursday for an undisclosed location. 

Covid-fu#kyou.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I’m really just pushing my regular flu avoidance measures to a relative extreme. To be fair, my regular flu avoidance measures weren’t much to begin with. I travel a lot, so I wash my hands constantly and shower ASAP after a flight. Now that this is a thing, I carry alcohol based wipes to wipe down my area on the plane, use hand sanitizer, try to be conscientious about touching my face with my hands, and I’ll probably be shaking fewer hands at an upcoming tradeshow and conference. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Nothing; doing my best to avoid centers of mass communicable diseases  (air ports and other means of public transportation)  This is being blown out of proportion by the media...There were 34k deaths in the US alone last year due to the flu...another 13k suspected deaths attributed as likely complications related from flu....where is the panic from that?? The most current statistic at the time of this posting, lists world wide coronavirus deaths as 3,200....and 92k infected

Media's job is to sell and stir the stew......

That being said the tinfoil hat wearer in me is always wondering what's not being told? Because the corona virus is actually been listed on the back of lysol cans for years as one of the 99.9% of germs killed....and fun fact ; it's one of the core vaccines for your pooches when they're puppies..

I think it's funny how all the new respiratory crap is coming from China (SARS a decade or so ago)
    There is rumor this is possibly a weaponized form that was released from a research lab....me thinks where there smoke there be fire....but I digress
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Nobody cares about the regular flu because we have all become used to flu season and the deaths from it, it's like the sun rising every morning, it just happens. 

Pretty sad when you think about it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Overall, COVID-19 is around 25x more lethal than the average flu.

Since SWMBO is a nurse, odds I get it from her if it becomes a pandemic are higher than average. 

I can work from home indefinitely.  We have enough food for a couple months, I can fish and probably hunt squirrels and neighborhood chickens if this becomes apocalyptic. 

I did stock up on some dry goods today....20 lbs of flour, ton of booze.  Believe me the thought of picking up 100 lbs of sugar crossed my mind for moonshine. I'm not there yet.

I have a bunch of respirators (highly effective) and masks (worthless except to protect you from others).

I don't get why people are buying bottled water.  If everyone in the world got the virus, we would be down 3% of all workers, the water treatment plant would still be running... Guess it's the same logic that hit Corona Beer sales.
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Nothing; doing my best to avoid centers of mass communicable diseases  (air ports and other means of public transportation)  This is being blown out of proportion by the media...There were 34k deaths in the US alone last year due to the flu...another 13k suspected deaths attributed as likely complications related from flu....where is the panic from that?? The most current statistic at the time of this posting, lists world wide coronavirus deaths as 3,200....and 92k infected

That being said the tinfoil hat wearer in me is always wondering what's not being told? Because the corona virus is actually been listed on the back of lysol cans for years as one of the 99.9% of germs killed....and fun fact ; it's one of the core vaccines for your pooches when they're puppies..

I think it's funny how all the new respiratory crap is coming from China (SARS a decade or so ago)
    There is rumor this is possibly a weaponized form that was released from a research lab....me thinks where there smoke there be fire....but I digress
    Didn't you go to medical school?
    I’ll just point out that attending Butt Blast will be a surefire way to stop this virus in its tracks.  No virus can take that many bourbon slushies.
    I must admit that I am largely ignorant as to the goings-on at said event, but this so-called blasting of butts sounds ripe for the spreading of communicable disease. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    I’m really just pushing my regular flu avoidance measures to a relative extreme. To be fair, my regular flu avoidance measures weren’t much to begin with. I travel a lot, so I wash my hands constantly and shower ASAP after a flight. Now that this is a thing, I carry alcohol based wipes to wipe down my area on the plane, use hand sanitizer, try to be conscientious about touching my face with my hands, and I’ll probably be shaking fewer hands at an upcoming tradeshow and conference. 
    There is wisdom in the fist bump. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I must admit that I am largely ignorant as to the goings-on at said event, but this so-called blasting of butts sounds ripe for the spreading of communicable disease. 
    What rock have you been living under, my friend?  The butts are totally pasteurized.  The patrons are pickled, and the petting zoo animals are shivering in fear.
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:

This virus is the novel (new) coronavirus aka COVID-19.  Because it is new, we don't know much about it and the common sense things we can do like avoiding spittle in public places, not traveling to hot zones, etc are all we know to do.  Getting this information out through the media saves lives. 

Because there is a broad category of coronavirus doesn't mean that it's less virulent than others in that category.  People don't die of "kennel cough".  Because we have limited information, an abundance of caution is prudent.

Sidebar about the media: All the exacerbation of the falseness of information in the current political and global environment is largely anti-science, anti-media and fake news is exactly the social virus of mis-information that drives the anti-vaxers, for example, that simply cause people to act against the greater good and their own welfare. Conspiracies abide.

Obviously this is early on in what could become a pandemic.  The uncertainty, level of contagiousness (2x flu), possible ability spread through asymptomatic carriers, high fatality rate compared to the flu (25x), high ability to remain contagious on surfaces, etc. are very concerning as they check off all the boxes on something that is similar to the 2017-19 Spanish Flu.  Fortunately we have much more science behind medicine now, we didn't then, with this mortality rate one could argue this is worse from an untreated perspective.

The Spanish flu was an Avian H1N1 variant which is now in the wild and part of the seasonal cocktail of immunizations.  It's not novel.  This particular virus will probably become part of that cocktail in the future.

The Spanish flu infected about 1/3rd of the total global population at the time and had about the same mortality rate.  It ultimately killed around 30 million people, 1.7% of the world population.

What you are reading on the back of a Lysol can is a category of viral pathogens, it has nothing to do with virulence.

The tin foil hat conspiracy theories that it's made in a lab are easily discounted.  Rule number uno of biological warfare is you don't make a virus that kills the maker.  That conspiracy theory is ridiculous.  With crisper, people would be making biological weapons that are contact infectious and not communicable, like anthrax.  That's bio-weapons 101. Worse than the media trumpeting this could be bad (imagine someone you know dying from it), what is worse is people spooging conspiracy theories wherever they can spooge that are on-par with the anti-vaxers, but worse, in some regards.

Do a little research on why the flu mostly comes out of Asia.  I think you'll use your veterinary training and realize it's all about animal viruses (remember, humans - one species, animals, millions of species) mutating and there are over a billion people in China, largely agrarian, interfacing with animals more than people in developed countries interacting with cows, pigs, chickens, mostly through factory butchers.

Options
    Hmm? I have plenty of rice and beans in the pantry. Mullet are easy to cast net. But I only have 2 bags of Rockwood.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    I'm flying to Toronto for work in two weeks. I'm a little concerned, but the company policy is that travel is on unless the who restricts it. I'm reluctant to cancel because of work and not doing my job....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm flying to Toronto for work in two weeks. I'm a little concerned, but the company policy is that travel is on unless the who restricts it. I'm reluctant to cancel because of work and not doing my job....
    Here is a survival tip.  Good luck, you'll probably be fine.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/turning-ac-on-during-flight