Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE - Advice

Options
Picking up my first BGE today (Large) got a good deal on a demo egg for eggfest. Kicking my propane Weber and traeger to the curb and going all in. 

Looking for advice on must have addons or accessories? It came with convEGGtor, Nest and Ash Tool set. 

Comments

• jeffc5227
    Options
    Buy a flame boss and have fun they are terrific cookers. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Awesome. Congrats!

My advice. Be patient! There is a learning curve with the BGE. Play around with vent settings and learn how the BGE reacts.

Don't be afraid to load it full with lump; it's reusable! My first accessory would be an accurate instant read thermometer. Adjustable Rig from ceramic grill store would be my 2nd
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

If the Weber and Traeger still work, keep them. No reason to get rid of them and sometimes its fun to switch things up by using a different grill or smoker.

Read all you can hear and you will pick up a lot of knowledge and soon you'll be busting out stellar moves. Since you already have a Weber and a Traeger, I'm sure you have the basics down, you just need to learn how to apply that to a BGE.

Welcome aboard, make sure to post pics of your cooks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome to the madhouse
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Another who endorses easing into the world of accessories as you figure it out.  Once you decide how to move forward, recognize that this place will suck your wallet dry  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited February 2020
    Options
    1) Agree with @Griffin, you can never have too many grills.
    2) Cooking on the Egg and learning from the folks on this forum will make you a better cook on any grill.
    3) The most important piece of equipment is a Thermopen (or other instant read thermometer).  To be frank, thermometer speed doesn't really matter on low and slow cook - or any cook involving only one piece of meat.  But when you are searing 6 steaks - or cooking 8 chicken breasts - speed becomes important - no matter what grill you use.

And welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome. Take your time before adding lots of accessories. There are lots of items that can make your cooks more efficient or consistent. But they aren’t really necessary. Some items being sold are worthless. Learn to cook with your setup. The items you want to add will become apparent to you as you gain experience.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Get the big freezer. Just do it. Don't ask me why.

Welcome aboard. Accessories for the grill...hold off until you get yourself dialed in on using the BGE.

Have fun, do not be afraid to seek help here on the forum. These guys are amongst the best BGE chefs you will find anywhere.

Glad to have you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Don’t go buy a bunch of crap right now. You probably won’t use most of it down the road. Learn how to use the egg and determine your style before you go nuclear on the credit card. 

Best piece of advice I can provide it to build your first fire and control it without cooking. Learn how the egg works before you add the stress of actually cooking something. Play with the openings to see how it affects the temp. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    biggest upgrade is raising the grid up over the felt gasket. you can do this cheaply with a second grid and some firebricks or go all in with something from the ceramic grill store. alot of us eventually went for a ceramic grill store option. i never regretted buying a thermapen and there are several options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Good advice here. I caught the bug and proceeded to buy just about every accessory in fairly short order, don’t use many of them anymore. 

The things I find incredibly useful are the adjustable rig, kick ash basket, smokewear cap, and thermapen. 

I personally would not waste my money on the conveggtor, go directly to the adjustable rig if budget allows.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    The ThermoPop is just as good if not better than the Thermopen at a fraction of the cost. I have both and always reach for the Pop. 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Welcome! 

Lots of good advice above, @DoubleEgger's suggestion to build a test fire is an excellent one.  Also, try to catch your temperature on the way up, closing down vents (narrowing, not fully shutting) as you get near (~50*) your target temperature - with the thermal mass of the egg, it takes a while to bring temps down.  Have fun!   

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Wow wait a minute NO ONE MENTIONED THE OBVIOUS.

under no circumstances.... no lighter fluid.  No kingsford or any other easy light match light or REGULAR charcoal.  Hard lump wood type only.  NO LIGHTER FLUID.

To light your first fire.  Make sure egg is stable and not resting flat on any surface.  Air flow beneith the egg is as important.  

The amount of lump doesnt matter.

Let the white smoke sorta clear up or turn thin out of the top before adding the meat.  Dont want that bitter taste.

Learn to open close top roof vent, and bottom vent to control heat on the way up.  Notice after the lump has burned for awhile what the temp does.   Its very hard to bring the temp down va control it on the way up.

Take your time.  Have fun.  No lighter fluid or any other accelerants

Take lots of food photos.

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Welcome 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I’d get a kick ash basket and can, this helps clean up a bunch. 

I’d get a reggulator or smokeware cap if you got a daisy wheel. The daisy wheel is fine and served me well for years but these two are better.  

I’d get a CGS PSwoo with the raised grid extender along with two half alloy grids. This is a game changer in a large egg, opens up so much space. 

I’d get a large cast iron Dutch oven 

I like the JoeTisserie and a Napoleon wing basket (fits on a large egg). 

Congrats on one of the best household accessories money can buy. You will love it. I did a short tips and tricks video on my YouTube channel if you’re interested how to build a fire for hassle free low and slow 

https://youtu.be/9aFoEkEFX6w
  • Wooderson
    Options
    +1 on adjustable rig from cgs.  You can pull the whole works out.   Great for adding wood chunks or flipping a bunch of wings without letting the temp boil over
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited February 2020
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Photo bucket ruined that threads usefulness 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    first figure out if you are going to use a nest or build a table. Second buy a thermopen. Third , when you are ready, call the Ceramic Grill Store.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited February 2020
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Photo bucket ruined that threads usefulness 
    sorry about that . . . didn't know   :|
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would get a woo from the ceramic grill store and an instant read thermometer. You need to be able to cook raised direct especially starting out it’s alot more forgiving to get a little further from the heat source. Check out the thermapop thermometer it’s not crazy expensive and many people even prefer it over the more expensive alternatives. 
  • tamck1
    tamck1 Posts: 36
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Whatever you do, DO NOT kick your Weber and Traeger to the curb. Don't get me wrong, LOVE my eggs but every now and then I get a warm and fuzzy feeling going back to my roots. :)
    L and MM BGEs with JJGeorge tables, Mini BGE with carrier, other charcoal and pellet smokers/grills too numerous to count.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    tamck1 said:
    Whatever you do, DO NOT kick your Weber and Traeger to the curb. Don't get me wrong, LOVE my eggs but every now and then I get a warm and fuzzy feeling going back to my roots. :)
    Even if you don’t cook with them, they make good storage solutions to all those accessories everyone wants you to buy!  😀
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @Judsontr - This link where CarolinaQ posted shows clear photos of the vent and the old Cast Iron top settings with temps:\\https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide/p3
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome!  Always remember to burp your egg before completely opening the lid.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you havent experienced a flash back with the egg, study this and save your eyebrows

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Hope you enjoy your egg!

1. Don't tie your dog too your egg. The results are devastating. 
    2. Tree rat and wine is under rated
    3.  Boil brisket in Dr Pepper for best results. 

Don't take the folks on the forum too seriously, It's easy to misunderstand intentions and it's just a forum.  

Lots of folks here willing to help...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Rockwood lump.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.