Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Noodle Soup

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
edited February 2020 in EggHead Forum
Slow rosted a couple chickens, peeled the skin sand used the meat from the thighs, breast and legs. ( the rest was the chefs snack....)

Used onions, garlic, shiitake shrooms, carrots, and celery. Used some home made chicken stock, fortified with salt, pepper, Tonys....and herbs de province.

Absolutely the best soup I have ever made.

Used egg noodles...

Soup is one of my most favorite meals ever.

Served with a chard.....worthy as heck

Just a great meal on a cold and wet weather evening.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Looks amazing, props!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    A good soup is hard to beat. Yours looks most excellent. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Excellent! Best soup I ever made was Chef John's chicken noodle recipe. Trouble was, It took a good 4-5 hours! How long did yours take?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mighty fine brother Ron!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Outstanding! I’ve been a huge soup kick lately too. I made gallons of turkey stock after doing 3 birds for thanksgiving and we’ve been rolling through the stuff. Even used some as the base for a bean and tomato free carnivore chili. 
  • YukonRon
    Excellent! Best soup I ever made was Chef John's chicken noodle recipe. Trouble was, It took a good 4-5 hours! How long did yours take?
    2 hours....after roasting the chickens

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Used onions...used egg noodles?  I prefer fresh and new!   B)  sounds delish!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • I may have to repeat this soon with a few Costco rotisserie chickens. Sounds great!
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Big O’l Pan of goodness right there.  Outstanding job Ron.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great work, Ron!  That looks amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited February 2020
    Wouldn't have minded tucking into a bowl of that. Was cold and wet here as well!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    We just made Chicken and Dumplings-

Egged Chicken
    Bones for Stock
    1/2 Chicken, Onions, Carrots, Celery- Seasoning to choice
    Drop dollops of dumpling mix into pot

Cook in IP for ~30 minutes
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Man that looks good and would go down great on this cold and wet day for sure. Nicely done.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• That looks wonderful!
    Stillwater, MN
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    Your soup looks delicious. My favorite part of chicken soup are the noodles, got to have lots and lots of noodles.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Looks like a beautifully rich stock.  I’m sure it’s delicious.  Rather than noodles, I often go with cheese tortellini, then top it with some Parmesan and a generous sprinkle of cayenne (heat makes everything better).
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Looks like a perfect meal for all this rainy weather.  Nice work!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Looks delicious, next cool front that comes through may have to give this one a go! 
  • YukonRon
    Best soup I have ever made in my life.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    @YukonRon - I have to say, that looks ridiculously good!  There is nothing like a good, homemade chicken soup.  I have done it both ways, with the chicken being roasted on the Egg and then just boiling the chicken with some onion and celery to make the stock and cook the chicken at the same time.  I will say, the soup made from the Egg roasted chicken adds another whole dimension to the soup.  Well done sir!
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Looks fantastic, one of my favorite and most frequent cooks. 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Nice work Ron! That looks awesome, especially with the mushrooms. I wouldn’t have thought I’d that. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    blind99 said:
    Nice work Ron! That looks awesome, especially with the mushrooms. I wouldn’t have thought I’d that. 
    Slicing the shrooms thinner the better with shiitakes....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    Great reminder it’s soup time weather!  We use thermo pot, aka thermal cooker or fire less cooker, to take care of the simmering part for hours totally hands off and no fuel. Going to pick pointers from your recipe and Chef John’s. Thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Made broth tonight.  Soup tomorrow.
    Dang dude. If it is anything at all like anything else you cook.....

I can't wait to see the results.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    YukonRon said:
    Dang dude. If it is anything at all like anything else you cook.....

I can't wait to see the results.
    @nolaegghead has been nailing some great cooks lately. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

oh my . . . totally hungry now for chicky noodle soup
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap