Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt- fat cap up or down?

Options
Various folks on YouTube University differ...

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I like fat cap down
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Up. I don't know why, but it is the way. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Various folks on YouTube University differ...
    They do around here as well.

Fat cap up or down is limiting your options.  Actually the best way is to have the fat cap point towards BGE headquarters!   =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I like it on top to give me a nice chicharron to snack on. I understand @ColtsFan putting it down, any portion that sticks to the grate is just fat cap and not muscles.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always put the cap down. I figure whatever's sitting on the grid is gonna stick to it. If it's the fat layer, I'm not losing any pork.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Another vote for down.
    NOLA
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I usually go down, with the full acknowledgement that it makes not one bit of a difference.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I’m a fat cap down guy. As others have mentioned, if something sticks to the grid I dont want it to be the meat!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Doesnt matter, but I usually put it down so I dont disturb the bark on the other side when I would be scraping it off the grate.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Trim and down.
    Mountain View, CA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I put it down for more bark on the meat side

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Always fat toward the heat source. That is down for the egg. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Cap off.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    Options
    use wagyu butts here  cap on all sides so any side is down
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    JonWesson said:
    use wagyu butts here  cap on all sides so any side is down
    I've read about those 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Down 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Fat side down, if I think about it.

I care more for the preparation; the brining, the peach smoke, the rub, and the peach preserves personally.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I put it down.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I remove completely.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I care more for the preparation; the brining, the peach smoke, the rub, and the peach preserves personally.

I have got to try this @YukonRon
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    YukonRon said:

I have got to try this @YukonRon
    It really is great. That peach preserve bark is remarkable

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I am definitely in the minority but I like the fat up - but the most important principle was noted by @pgprescott.  Put the fat toward the hotter air or heat source. 

So I figured out how to use the ceramic plate setter and a layer of a foil pan to ensure that no heat rises directly into the bottom of the meat and put the butt high in the dome where the top of the butt sees higher temps than the bottom of it. Then I put the fat up “toward the heat”.  

I came to this after discussing different smokers with Aaron Franklin’s general manager, Benji, and reading about the Harvard project to create the optimal brisket smoker.

I’ve mentioned this on several threads here and I don’t think anyone has ever supported my thinking or adopted this practice. 

#prophetinthewilderness
    #pearlsbeforeswine

😀

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i trim it, then score it some and put it down so when i pull  it to a pan its already on the bottom for shredding.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You have a 100% supporter in me @Foghorn. I do the same exact thing as you described above. 
    Added bonus: when I take the meat off and some sticks to the grate, it is ready to consume right ten and there as a chef treat and it is not just a bunch of fat stuck there.

I really need to try @YukonRon “peachy” version someday soon. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    a fool goes down, an idiot up
    Boom
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    You have a 100% supporter in me @Foghorn. I do the same exact thing as you described above. 
    Added bonus: when I take the meat off and some sticks to the grate, it is ready to consume right ten and there as a chef treat and it is not just a bunch of fat stuck there.

I really need to try @YukonRon “peachy” version someday soon. 
    @Sea2Ski.

I definitely support the doing the peach version when you have time.  It's legit.  To date, I've only done it on a large offset.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Butts are like hotdogs. Just get it in the Egg. All will work out fine. 
    I am 100% Turbo and others are not. It all works. Butts are so easy. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.