Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Garlic Chili Oil and Dumpling Dipping Sauce

Options

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ok, I said earlier that I've never had or wanted dumplings. I've spent some time this morning watching people make them and found that they are totally not what I imagined them to be! They look delicious and I have GOT to try some! TYOTD indeed! 

this is a really good fast food type item. if you can find an asian grocery that makes them a  bag of 50 can be under ten bucks. frozen til needed, steamed, steamed/fried, deep fried. super quick meal. peking raviolis are dumplings, you must have had those at one time
    I do have a huge Asian market about 15 miles away. I get there occasionally, great produce dept, fresh fish, tons of sauces and rice. Only place I've ever seen chicken feet or quail eggs! But I don't recall ever having (or hearing of) peking raviolis... but 72 years is a long time to remember what I've had for dinner!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ok, I said earlier that I've never had or wanted dumplings. I've spent some time this morning watching people make them and found that they are totally not what I imagined them to be! They look delicious and I have GOT to try some! TYOTD indeed! 

this is a really good fast food type item. if you can find an asian grocery that makes them a  bag of 50 can be under ten bucks. frozen til needed, steamed, steamed/fried, deep fried. super quick meal. peking raviolis are dumplings, you must have had those at one time
    I do have a huge Asian market about 15 miles away. I get there occasionally, great produce dept, fresh fish, tons of sauces and rice. Only place I've ever seen chicken feet or quail eggs! But I don't recall ever having (or hearing of) peking raviolis... but 72 years is a long time to remember what I've had for dinner!

If you are interested in expanding your horizon, esp with regard to dumplings, look for a dim sum restaurant and (it's best to go with a group of people) just order a bunch of dumpling dishes.  Dim sum is a Cantonese style of small dishes where dumplings factor in to a substantial part of the menu, but by no means it's just dumplings.  Some of my favorite eating. 

edited January 2020
    Options

Not sure if you go to Costco but they sell these and they're pretty good (for store bought frozen convenience).  My kids eat a lot of them as they're 6 in a pack and can be nuked in 3 minutes.

Edit: I feel dirty posting these in a thread devoted to hand made ones.  Sorry.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Dumpling making from scratch is a great family activity, our kids loved it, miss those days.  The dipping sauce was an instant stir-up, nowhere near OP's amazing complex version  :)

Scene from a movie:  (we didn't have maid though, lol)

canuckland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Pretty sure I've never had a dumpling. Very sure I've never wanted one. Never seemed appealing. Didn't know they were supposed to have sauces either. I prolly just don't know what I'm missing.

Nice kitchen though!

@Carolina Q    If the reason is if you've never tried one  is you didn't want one your missing out. There are many different types, chicken, beef, veggies and mixtures of the above. You can get some decent ones at Trader Joe's and give them a try. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Those look delicious!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Dumplings on my mind.  Been sick, so just Freezer diving . . this pic of assorted freezer burn bags & spring rolls will be late Sunday dinner tonight.  I got to try some of these sauces asap.  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Turns out this oil stuff is good on pulled brisket.  Centex just served some as an appetizer as we were finishing up sauscutapalooza. Just saying. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Turns out this oil stuff is good on pulled brisket.  Centex just served some as an appetizer as we were finishing up sauscutapalooza. Just saying. 
    The chili oil is legit. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This may not have happened, since I didn’t take any pics, but... chili oil made per recipe posted here. Sautéed garlic, ginger, scallions, and a dash of sugar in it. Udon. Dressed with chinkiang. 

Farkin’ awesome. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2020
    Options

Not sure if you go to Costco but they sell these and they're pretty good (for store bought frozen convenience).  My kids eat a lot of them as they're 6 in a pack and can be nuked in 3 minutes.

Dude.....I can't let you go out in public lookin all dirty and all. We are in process of moving to Johns Creek (yes Georgia) and I have an H mart (Asian Grocery) about a block or two away. Finally had a chance to go explore a bit. I purchased the cousins to yours and some dipping sauces. I can only imagine it getting better from here after @The @The Cen-Tex Smoker learns me a bit on the fine art of making my own. For the short term, i'll use my purchased dipping sauces (which are very good) until I sneak in the back door with making my own. 

I too purchased the bibigo cousins .....however a slightly different ingredient. Not sure how you rite good stuff in Chinese....but I would do so here __________.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Dude.....I can't let you go out in public lookin all dirty and all. We are in process of moving to Johns Creek (yes Georgia) and I have an H mart (Asian Grocery) about a block or two away. Finally had a chance to go explore a bit. I purchased the cousins to yours and some dipping sauces. I can only imagine it getting better from here after @The @The Cen-Tex Smoker learns me a bit on the fine art of making my own. For the short term, i'll use my purchased dipping sauces (which are very good) until I sneak in the back door with making my own. 

I too purchased the bibigo cousins .....however a slightly different ingredient. Not sure how you rite good stuff in Chinese....but I would do so here __________.

HMart is such a great store. Mine is like 30 minutes away so we don't get there as much as we like. If it were 5 minutes, we would have a problem.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NDG
    Options
    Finally got all the ingredients - Making this chili oil tmrw - can’t wait . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Please post your thoughts after the fact. I’ve bookmarked this but haven’t made it. I always buy it when at my favorite Chinese restaurant. And I need to make a trip to the oriental grocer as I plan on making, Korean style fire chicken, posted earlier this week. 
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    Great videos thanks for sharing. 
  • caliking
    Options
    NDG said:
    Finally got all the ingredients - Making this chili oil tmrw - can’t wait . . 
    You won’t be disappointed. I made 2 pints of this stuff, thinking I’d give some to folks. Never happened. We finished it all, and I’m overdue to make more. 

And don’t let anyone tell you that you’re crazy, just ‘coz you drizzled sourdough waffles with honey, and this chili oil, 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

And don’t let anyone tell you that you’re crazy, just ‘coz you drizzled sourdough waffles with honey, and this chili oil, 
    For the record, when I tell you that you're crazy - that's not why I'm saying it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NDG
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Please post your thoughts after the fact. I’ve bookmarked this but haven’t made it. I always buy it when at my favorite Chinese restaurant. And I need to make a trip to the oriental grocer as I plan on making, Korean style fire chicken, posted earlier this week. 
    work stuff pushing this project into nxt week . . I will post results though.
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @caliking looks amazing . . funny because I just bought a bottle of chinkiang vinegar without knowing why, now I have a reason to open it !!  EDIT: good tip on garlic too  :)  I remember in the "chili oil video" he instructed to pitch garlic as it cooks, if it got too brown
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Options
    Chili Oil is good for sure - not crazy heat but tons of flavor . .  how long you think it will last in fridge ????  
    Columbus, OH

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:
    Chili Oil is good for sure - not crazy heat but tons of flavor . .  how long you think it will last in fridge ????  
    Mine is in the pantry and has been for months.  Still good. The fridge solidified the oil so I’m not a fan of chilling it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Finally got around to try the chili oil. Too lazy to hunt down all the ingredients. Instead of Szechuan peppercorn and chili flakes, I found regular colourful Costco peppercorn and regular Asian chili flakes in the pantry :)

Also, instead of pot watching for two hours, l let it sleep in the fireless thermal cooker overnight... the process involves preheating to 250ish, sleep for several hours, reheat, sleep till morning. After the long dwell I removed the brown crispy garlic, then heated oil to 300ish before pouring on chili flakes through a coffee filter.

picture of double decker thermal cooker config, upper pot filled with boiled water to provide thermal mass...

Missed picture of sizzle...

Haven't tried it on dumpling yet, but really like it on rice, stir fry, even this steamed scallion roll. I bet a piece of cardboard will taste good after dipping in this crack. Move over La Bomba  =)

I think it should taste even better with authentic ingredients called for.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Tried with dumpling, omg! Thanks centex for sharing.

canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @canugghead - seems like you've found out that the chili oil is good on EVERYTHING :) 

I make it in the Instant Pot, so not much to babysit. I imagine the longer time with your method amps up the flavor. Sichuan pepper does give it a unique flavor, but I don't think there's a wrong way to make this stuff. 

I make 2 quarts at a time, and each time think I'll give 1 quart to friends... yet to happen. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking absolutely, what instapot setting do you use? Also, for health reason, can you recommend any low-fat oil for this? ;)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking absolutely, what instapot setting do you use? Also, for health reason, can you recommend any low-fat oil for this? ;)
    I have the IP Ultra, so I set the sauté temp to 225ish.

And re: low-fat oil... all oils are low-fat, when consumed in the "appropriate" quantities =)

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    🙄

Options
    Olestra is very low calorie oil (near zero because you can't absorb it).

Feed it to your enemies because it frequently causes painful diarrhea and abdominal cramps.  I'm not sure you can buy it anymore, but they still use it in some products I believe.
    Options
    Searched on olestra, interesting read.
    canuckland