Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Orleans Restaurants

Comments

• The locals like Clancy’s. 

I’m a fan of GW Fins, but some people don’t like it. Great fish place. 

August is great. 

Domenica is great - especially after a late night. 

Doris Metropolitan gets great reviews. 
  • Man, wish I had time for more meals. All these places look great.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    X2 for Gw Finns
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited January 2020
    quickdraw said:
    The locals like Clancy’s. 

Yes indeed! I'm a local and Clancy's is right up there on the top of the list. But it is Fine dining / Fancy.
    My wife and I celebrated many anniversaries at Clancy's. Best crab meat salad in the world!

We also love The Bon Ton Cafe @ 401 Magazine st corner Poydras.

I'm not a fan of GW Fins.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• I know somebody already mentioned it but one of the guys going with us loves crawfish so that’s a priority too if anybody had other suggestions for crawfish. 
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I rarely visit NOLA without going to either of The Toups restaurants. Toups Meatery or Toups South. 
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Commanders Palace! It's a little pricy and fancy but, the menu is great, the food is delicious, and the service is second to none. It is a dining experience that you will remember for many years!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I haven’t been there in over 5 years but Oceana use to have killer BBQ shrimp and chargrilled oysters smothered in a white cheese sauce. Both was simply incredible. The shrimp poboy was no joke either. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Too many great restaurants for anyone to hit  but I would make a run for Drago's and the chargrilled oysters.  Often copied, never duplicated.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    lousubcap said:
    Too many great restaurants for anyone to hit  but I would make a run for Drago's and the chargrilled oysters.  Often copied, never duplicated.  FWIW-
    Brother Cap, I know it’s just one mans opinion but I preferred Oceana’s oysters over Dragos. Both are top notch, but that cheese sauce that Oceana smothers them in is simply unbelievable.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    78 T140E said:
    Commanders Palace! It's a little pricy and fancy but, the menu is great, the food is delicious, and the service is second to none. It is a dining experience that you will remember for many years!
    My favorite story about Commanders Palace was way back in the late 1970's when my business associate and our wives were in N.O. at a banking convention. That was back when banking was rocking and we were on a liberal expense account.

Anyway after libations and an EXCELLENT meal we stepped outside to wait for the doorman to hail a taxi back to the Hyatt. The wives saw the stone walls of the cemetery across the street and being naive gals they went running toward an entrance to go in! YES - weird as that sounds, but they did just the same! The armed doorman YELLED with a booming voice to "GET THE HELL BACK HERE NOW!" That scared the crap out of all 4 of us! He said something like "Ladies -  that cemetery is NO PLACE to go at night". 

After that for years until these friends both died we always used that "NOW" trailer to emphasize anything important!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @SGH - in the main, if in the city just get the chargrilled oysters.  Oceana's and Drago's oyster eat-off my next trip.  And an arm twist at @nolaegghead and his in-home restaurant. 
    Will have to work on that road-trip as it is long over-due.  Thanks for the insights.   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Oceana is a sh!thole, in my experience.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    buzd504 said:
    Oceana is a sh!thole, in my experience.
    Really? I haven’t been there in several years but it was fantastic when me, Nola and his wife went. 

Status- Standing by.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Another vote for Mr. B's, we always make a stop there when in town.
    LBGE
    AL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Their BBQ shrimp is excellent and I "discovered" truffle fries there.  Now I make them all the time.
    RRP said:
    78 T140E said:
    My favorite story about Commanders Palace was way back in the late 1970's when my business associate and our wives were in N.O. at a banking convention. That was back when banking was rocking and we were on a liberal expense account.

Anyway after libations and an EXCELLENT meal we stepped outside to wait for the doorman to hail a taxi back to the Hyatt. The wives saw the stone walls of the cemetery across the street and being naive gals they went running toward an entrance to go in! YES - weird as that sounds, but they did just the same! The armed doorman YELLED with a booming voice to "GET THE HELL BACK HERE NOW!" That scared the crap out of all 4 of us! He said something like "Ladies -  that cemetery is NO PLACE to go at night". 

After that for years until these friends both died we always used that "NOW" trailer to emphasize anything important!
    Have you tried shouting NOW with the (mostly) Canadian deadbeats that stiffed you?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    no mention of muffulettas,  probably the first ting i would be looking for off the plane =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    no mention of muffulettas,  probably the first ting i would be looking for off the plane =)
    Central Grocery or Progress...but there are many good muffs in town.

• fishlessman
    Central Grocery or Progress...but there are many good muffs in town.

took me years to find one up here, everything up here is an italian, even the muffulettas. not enough spread.  someday im heading down there for the real deal
    Town Market Italian
    fukahwee maine

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338

Their BBQ shrimp is excellent and I "discovered" truffle fries there.  Now I make them all the time.
    Definitely on the BBQ shrimp! I am also a fan of the braised rabbit!

LBGE
    AL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Can someone with local knowledge educate me as to why there seems to be no love for Antoine's or The Gumbo Shop?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Whenever I'm fortunate enough to get to N.O. I search out Pralines.  Not sure who has the best but never had a bad one!
    I also agree with those mentioning Drago's.  Casual, good food and reasonable prices.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2020
    Foghorn said:
    Can someone with local knowledge educate me as to why there seems to be no love for Antoine's or The Gumbo Shop?

Antoine's is fine.  But like all the "Grand-dame" restaurants in Nola (Antoine's, Arnaud's*, Galatoire's**, and Broussard's), it's kind of stuffy and tired and a pain in the ass.  The food is perfectly fine in a classical sort of way, but you absolutely know what you are going to get.  And traditionally (this has changed somewhat with the amount of tourism, but remains for locals), it involves at the very minimum, putting on a jacket, dealing with going to the FQ, etc.  So while nothing against Antoine's (et al), there are 100 other places I'd rather go.

*Arnaud's has a jazz brunch that is still very popular with locals, but the rest applies
    **Galatoire's has a certain social aspect about it (particularly at lunch, especially on Friday) that differentiates it from the rest, but the notes about the food apply (in my opinion).

As for the Gumbo Shop, it's probably perfectly fine.  I can't remember if I've ever been.  And while a local might happen to order gumbo while we're out, we all generally make it enough ourselves (and know what we like) that a restaurant destination with gumbo as it's main offering isn't really going to be on our radar.
    NOLA
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    @fishlessman From what remember you’re up near NH. If you’re ever cruising through Londonderry or Manchester, there’s a great pizza and sandwich shop called Harold Square. Less than a mile off 93. Killer muffuletta! 
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2020
    thats close enough for a lunch trip but it looks like the doors are closed. town market in andover ma has a house italian thats as close as i can find. maybe head there today. andover prices are up there for a simple sandwich

fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    CornfedMA said:
    @fishlessman From what remember you’re up near NH. If you’re ever cruising through Londonderry or Manchester, there’s a great pizza and sandwich shop called Harold Square. Less than a mile off 93. Killer muffuletta! 
    According to tripadvisor, the boston globe and yelp, the place is permanently closed. oh well... keep lookin' fish.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    buzd504 said:
    Foghorn said:

Antoine's is fine.  But like all the "Grand-dame" restaurants in Nola (Antoine's, Arnaud's*, Galatoire's**, and Broussard's), it's kind of stuffy and tired and a pain in the ass.  The food is perfectly fine in a classical sort of way, but you absolutely know what you are going to get.  And traditionally (this has changed somewhat with the amount of tourism, but remains for locals), it involves at the very minimum, putting on a jacket, dealing with going to the FQ, etc.  So while nothing against Antoine's (et al), there are 100 other places I'd rather go.

*Arnaud's has a jazz brunch that is still very popular with locals, but the rest applies
    **Galatoire's has a certain social aspect about it (particularly at lunch, especially on Friday) that differentiates it from the rest, but the notes about the food apply (in my opinion).

As for the Gumbo Shop, it's probably perfectly fine.  I can't remember if I've ever been.  And while a local might happen to order gumbo while we're out, we all generally make it enough ourselves (and know what we like) that a restaurant destination with gumbo as it's main offering isn't really going to be on our radar.
    Thanks @buzd504, that all makes sense.  However, where The Gumbo Shop is concerned, I've only ever heard about it from locals.  The first time I went to New Orleans (1992 I think) I wasn't making much money so I asked a cab driver and the hotel desk employee where they would recommend that wouldn't break the bank and they both recommended The Gumbo Shop.  Almost 20 years after that I asked the same question of similar people and got the same answer.  They have a lot more than gumbo.  Now you can get on the waiting list and walk 1/2 block to Jackson Square to take in the street performers until you get a text that your table is ready.

I agree with you about the food at Antoine's.  We enjoyed it mostly because there were 10 of us and we got a private dining room with a very knowledgeable waiter who told us the history of the place and after dinnere he gave us a tour of all the dining rooms and the wine cellar.  The food was standard New Orleans excellent but it didn't stand out from the crowd.

What do locals think of the Carrollton St. places - like Boucherie or DTB?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX