Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Windmills and all of the Jobs and the Blowing

I have been thinking allot about windmills recently.  I never understood wind.  I know windmills very much, I have studied it better than anybody. I know it is very expensive. They are made in China and Germany mostly very few made here almost none but they are manufactured tremendous if you are into this tremendous fumes and gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world right?  So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint fumes are spewing into the air right spewing whether it is China or Germany, is going into the air.  Does nobody understnad this?  A windmill will kill many bald eagles.  After a certain number they make you turn the windmill off that is true. By the way they make you turn it off. And yet if you killed one they put you in jail. That is OK. But why is it OK for windmills to destroy the bird population?  If you have a windmill anywhere near your house congratulations your house just went down 75 percent in value.  And they say the noise causes cancer you tell me that one OK?   The thing makes so much noise and of course it’s like a graveyard for birds. If you loved birds you’d never want to walk under a windmill again. If Hillary got in you'd be doing wind. Windmills. Weeeee. If it doesn't blow you can forget about television for that night.   Darling I want to watch television!  I'm sorry! The wind isn't blowing.  I know allot about wind.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited December 2019
    My head hurts. Me thinks you generate enough wind to do away with the windmills. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    All this sounds oddly familiar for some reason.
    @FlyOverCountry do you have a golf course in Scotland, by chance?
    edited December 2019
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    WTF?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Somebody's goin to emergency.....somebody's going to jail
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • If a guy at a bar sounded like this, you’d pay your bill, slowly get up, and walk out the door.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I managed the energy output from almost 750 Megawatts of wind output (5 Kansas wind farms), and I never heard of such nonsense and BS! Someone must be smokin some “good weed”!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Your brain is very bigly.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Does anyone NOT agree these are the words of a very ignorant and unstable person?

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Sounds like Carey was day drinking. 
  • nolaegghead
    Sounds like Carey was day drinking. 
    With your wife.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    If a guy at a bar sounded like this, you’d pay your bill, slowly get up, and walk out the door.
    Actually, I think, the bar might cut him off, and get him an Uber home, to eliminate themselves from any liability.

https://prospect.org/api/amp/power/trump-keeps-telling-world-i-m-smart/
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sounds like Carey was day drinking. 
    With your wife.
    Well, at least maybe one of us will get lucky.  
  • nolaegghead

One way to get your neighbors to absolutely hate you in every possible way.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I have been thinking allot about windmills recently.  I never understood wind.  I know windmills very much, I have studied it better than anybody. I know it is very expensive. They are made in China and Germany mostly very few made here almost none but they are manufactured tremendous if you are into this tremendous fumes and gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world right?  So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint fumes are spewing into the air right spewing whether it is China or Germany, is going into the air.  Does nobody understnad this?  A windmill will kill many bald eagles.  After a certain number they make you turn the windmill off that is true. By the way they make you turn it off. And yet if you killed one they put you in jail. That is OK. But why is it OK for windmills to destroy the bird population?  If you have a windmill anywhere near your house congratulations your house just went down 75 percent in value.  And they say the noise causes cancer you tell me that one OK?   The thing makes so much noise and of course it’s like a graveyard for birds. If you loved birds you’d never want to walk under a windmill again. If Hillary got in you'd be doing wind. Windmills. Weeeee. If it doesn't blow you can forget about television for that night.   Darling I want to watch television!  I'm sorry! The wind isn't blowing.  I know allot about wind.

Thank you.  This is my favorite post ever.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited December 2019
    you know words.  you have the best words.

Some dislike wind for good reason.

Image result for trump bad hairImage result for trump bad hairImage result for trump bad hair
    Image result for trump bad hair
    Image result for trump bad hair

• YukonRon
    There are approximately 57,000 wind turbines in the USA.

According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, collisions with turbines kills between 140,000 and 500,000 birds annually. Other energy sources, such as coal, oil and power lines, contribute to millions of bird deaths. However, cats remain the biggest threat to birds, killing an estimated 1.3 to 4 billion birds each year.

Steps have been put in place, such as seasonal and migrational shutdowns to avoid killing raptors, which have had provided significant results in lowering the attrition rate upon eagles.

Also, wind turbines are associated with the killing of approximately 1 million bats annually.

Wind Mills, however, have an entirely different impact in all areas of the claims made by our president, providing insignificant impact on wildlife, environment and economic data regarding home value within proximity.

Electricity vs. Flour and Water. You decide in 2020.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2019
    YukonRon said:

According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, collisions with turbines kills between 140,000 and 500,000 birds annually. Other energy sources, such as coal, oil and power lines, contribute to millions of bird deaths. However, cats remain the biggest threat to birds, killing an estimated 1.3 to 4 billion birds each year.

Steps have been put in place, such as seasonal and migrational shutdowns to avoid killing raptors, which have had provided significant results in lowering the attrition rate upon eagles.

Also, wind turbines are associated with the killing of approximately 1 million bats annually.

Wind Mills, however, have an entirely different impact in all areas of the claims made by our president, providing insignificant impact on wildlife, environment and economic data regarding home value within proximity.

It’s, like 3:15 am, shouldn’t you be sleeping?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited December 2019
    YukonRon said:

It’s, like 3:15 am, shouldn’t you be sleeping?
    Arguing politics online in the middle of the night is always on my to do list when visiting Europe. 
  • YukonRon
    I sleep occasionally. I thought this was funny and I thought I was making a joke.

Explains the lump of coal I am getting for Christmas.

Cheers.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    YukonRon said:

Some interesting points here!

Had no idea cats kill more birds than wind turbines and pollution, combined.  Probably not eagles, though.  

Not sure I buy the "seasonal" shutdown of wind turbines to avoid killing raptors, as they hang around here 8 months/year.  Also, it disturbs me with the blatant racism... er, "speciesism", calling out eagles alone; hawks, ospreys, and falcons are not mentioned.  And even MORE discriminatory: remember how America cheered, when some fishermen saved a bald eagle from the clutches tentacles of a hungry octopus, a couple days ago?  Sure, everyone roots for the handsome bird, but that poor, ugly octopus probably starved to death (especially given the months of planning a celopod must've given in order to capture a flying raptor in the first place!)  

Killing bats??  I doubt it.  During the summer I sit on my west-facing patio and watch the bats maneuver on a dime, catching mosquitoes w/ their built-in radar (God bless 'em!)  I doubt they could be caught unawares of an 18-foot blade coming their way.  

(and I guess I'm guilty of "speciesism" too, cheering on the bats that eat mosquitoes (Mosquitoes have Mothers, too!!)  :lol:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    YukonRon said:
    I sleep occasionally. I thought this was funny and I thought I was making a joke.

Explains the lump of coal I am getting for Christmas.

Cheers.
    Clean beautiful coal, or the regular kind?
  • nolaegghead
    @botch the numbers are pretty accurate, they count the dead stuff under the windmill and use math.
  • I work in a coal fired power plant and I despise wind turbines. I thought I’d be able to have a secure job until I could retire. The wind subsidies are a killer. If people wouldn’t die I would love for all the coal fired units to go offline on either the coldest or hottest days of the year. I realize we need we need new forms of generation but wind and solar isn’t the answer. Where I am located we have A LOT of wind turbines and last winter they couldn’t run because it was -20. However we were able to back them up. 
  • Soyknee said:
    I work in a coal fired power plant and I despise wind turbines. I thought I’d be able to have a secure job until I could retire. The wind subsidies are a killer. If people wouldn’t die I would love for all the coal fired units to go offline on either the coldest or hottest days of the year. I realize we need we need new forms of generation but wind and solar isn’t the answer. Where I am located we have A LOT of wind turbines and last winter they couldn’t run because it was -20. However we were able to back them up. 
    I’ve always said nuclear needs to be part of the picture.