Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sometimes failure is inevitable.

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Scottie, did you call the Butterball hotline?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I would just say that it allowed you more time to enjoy the fried squirrel nuts and donkey anus you prepared for the day
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Scottie, did you call the Butterball hotline?
    Actually not a bad idea 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @sgh - I’m guessing  that your particular Turkey was a severe heroin addict and each raw spot were needle injection spots that had tainted the meat to the point of petrification.  

Sorry you got a junk bird.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry you got a junk bird.  
    That right there is my dilemma. I know the bird was bad but I can not figure out what was wrong. I am going to share something that most of you do not know about me. I am very anal. It really eats at me when I can not figure something out. I can not let things go. I am still fuming about it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Definitely sounds like a schitt happens scenario...I got nothing 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I am exactly the same way.  I’m still pissed over ruining a batch of “cold smoked cheese” I made in 2017!  Can smell that nasty stuff every time I think of it.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    This will forever be known as The Great Bird Mystery of 2019
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • SGH
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    This will forever be known as The Great Bird Mystery of 2019
    Not forever my friend. Whatever it takes I am going to come with an answer. But I agree, it is definitely a mystery. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @SGH Just as no one can explain what you experienced, no one will be able to challenge your answer so make it a great one.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Someone swapped the turkey for a buzzard in mid fry? It was a trial Impossible Turkey? Only the Shadow knows?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I haven't studied all the replies so maybe this has already been ruled out...what about the oil itself? If rancid to start with I'm sure you would have gagged at the beginning, but could the oil have been on the verge of going bad and therefore suddenly go rancid as it started to heat or mix with the turkey grease?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @SGH - the parts that weren’t done, were they cold to the touch?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Has anyone blamed the Muhle R41 yet? That's my only logical guess.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Also sorry to hear about the bird. Hopefully still got to spend some quality time with friends and family.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    edited November 2019
    Options
    RRP said:
    I haven't studied all the replies so maybe this has already been ruled out...what about the oil itself? If rancid to start with I'm sure you would have gagged at the beginning, but could the oil have been on the verge of going bad and therefore suddenly go rancid as it started to heat or mix with the turkey grease?
    Ron the oil was brand new right out of the jug. Never used. Crystal clear LouAnn peanut oil. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    No sir. The absolute coldest part of the bird was 50 degrees. It averaged 55 degrees. I am absolutely certain of this. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Has anyone blamed the Muhle R41 yet? That's my only logical guess.
    In hind site, I should of just shaved and called it a day 👍

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    No sir. The absolute coldest part of the bird was 50 degrees. It averaged 55 degrees. I am absolutely certain of this. 
    I meant after it came out of the fry, not before.

• SGH
    edited November 2019
    Options
    SGH said:

John when it came out I did my usual routine. I temped both thighs, both legs and both sides of the breast near the bone. 
    The dark meat was consistent at 189. The breast 158. That is actually 3 degrees higher than I normally take them. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:

John when it came out I did my usual routine. I temped both thighs, both legs and both sides of the breast near the bone. 
    The dark meat was consistent at 189. The breast 158. That is actually 3 degrees higher than I normally take them. 
    I understand.  But you started to slice it open, and then noticed whole regions that were undercooked, right?  My question is whether or not you felt those sections at that point or not, and had a chance to see if they were actually a little cold still.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Someone swapped the turkey for a buzzard in mid fry? 
    Buzzard Trivia!  :triumph:
    Buzzards have a pretty good sense of smell, unlike almost all other birds, which helps them locate carrion on the ground.  
    Their heads are bald, for the same reason; it allows them to dive into a rotting carrion, to get the good parts underneath, without "mussing their hair".  

This program has been sponsored by Purina Buzzard Chow.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SGH
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    In hind sight I should of took pictures. With that said at that time posting about it was not on my mind. I will try to explain what i am talking about. 
    If you have ever done any bird, squirrel or rabbit hunting this will make it very clear. The spots was roughly the size of #6 birdshot. It was not hundreds of them but just taking a guess I would say there was 20 give or take a few either way. What makes it even more strange is that they were at various depths. That is simply unheard of my friend but I saw it with my own 4 eyes. 
    I have talked to several people that are sure enough experts and they say the same thing. Never seen or heard of anything like it. There is no question that something was off with the bird (disease, genetic deformities, etc etc) but that’s what is eating at me. I can’t crack the code and pin it down. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts and opinions. By all means, if anyone has seen this before please offer your input. I welcome it my friends. 

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    Options
    Image result for unevenly cooked turkey

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    Botch said:
    Someone swapped the turkey for a buzzard in mid fry? 
    Buzzard Trivia!  :triumph:
    Buzzards have a pretty good sense of smell, unlike almost all other birds, which helps them locate carrion on the ground.  
    Their heads are bald, for the same reason; it allows them to dive into a rotting carrion, to get the good parts underneath, without "mussing their hair".  

This program has been sponsored by Purina Buzzard Chow.  
    On a very serious note, and all jokes aside, my Uncle Frank Hamilton made the best Buzzard Stew that you have ever had. It was second to none. 

Status- Standing by.

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    @sgh really?!

What does properly prepared buzzard taste like?  The weirdest flying thing I've ever knowingly eaten is bat, so this I'm curious about.
    NC - LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    wardo said:
    @sgh really?!

What does properly prepared buzzard taste like?  The weirdest flying thing I've ever knowingly eaten is bat, so this I'm curious about.
    In all honesty it reminds you of a cross between raccoon and beaver meat. My uncle would trap the buzzards and feed them out on table scraps for several weeks. It removed the off taste that they have. He would stew them down in gravy and onions and it was quite good. Again it reminded you of beaver or coon meat.  

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This sounds stupid, but how big was the bird and what size was the pot? Could this have been caused by too big of a bird in a not big enough pot?

lastly, was the thermo calibrated?

That’s all I’ve got. Having fried a grand total of 3 turkeys in my life. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.