Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sometimes failure is inevitable.

Options
13»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    caliking said:
    This sounds stupid, but how big was the bird and what size was the pot? Could this have been caused by too big of a bird in a not big enough pot?

lastly, was the thermo calibrated?

That’s all I’ve got. Having fried a grand total of 3 turkeys in my life. 
    My brother, nothing stupid about your question at all. Very valid points actually. However the pot was not the issue. I have used the same 80 quart pot for decades with exactly 5 gallons of LouAnns finest. 
    As to the thermometers. Yes sir. I actually used 2 thermometers. My Thermopen and an analog. They read within 4 degrees of each other. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cochon_Couyon
    Options
    Can't say it is what caused your results...but your oil temps are way out of cajun specifications. I've been frying them since 1989 and I drop them in at 360F and lower fire to maintain ~270F oil temp for 4 minutes per pound. I never let the oil get below 230 or over 300F.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    wardo said:
    @sgh really?!

What does properly prepared buzzard taste like?  The weirdest flying thing I've ever knowingly eaten is bat, so this I'm curious about.
    In all honesty it reminds you of a cross between raccoon and beaver meat. 
    Well that clears it up!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    SGH said:
    wardo said:
    @sgh really?!

What does properly prepared buzzard taste like?  The weirdest flying thing I've ever knowingly eaten is bat, so this I'm curious about.
    In all honesty it reminds you of a cross between raccoon and beaver meat. 
    Well that clears it up!
    Yes indeed!
    NC - LBGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Just throwing this out there.
    Possibly an air pocket within the cavity of the bird?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Was the oil following the holes you created when probing with the thermo?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    Bad bird seems the easiest explanation to me, all things considered.  Just had some funky meat in there that didn't cook the way turkey normally does.  
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2019
    Options
    One of your Thanksgiving guests:

I have diagnosed the problem for you.

Now go out there and make great food!
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I love beaver and coon meat, but I couldn't imagine a cross between the two.  Maybe a bit like squirrel meat then?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I love beaver and coon meat, but I couldn't imagine a cross between the two.  Maybe a bit like squirrel meat then?
    You mean tree rat?
  • SGH
    edited December 2019
    Options
    For anyone interested in the mystery meat I have finally got an answer. I spoke to a friend of mine that raises chickens and turkeys for Tyson Foods. They raise millions of chickens and hundreds of thousands of turkeys every year and do all kind of tests and examinations on sick and dead birds. Also they conduct various cooking tests on sick birds for information. I had no idea of this. 
    At any rate as soon as I told him the dilemma he did not even hesitate. He said the bird had an advanced form of muscular degenerative disease. He said with tests it could be determined exactly what degenerative disease the bird had and what stage it was in. That was good enough for me. He said they have seen it many times before. It remains a very first for me. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    @SGH way to stay the course and get a reasonable answer to your experience. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Glad you solved the mystery. That can be like a splinter in your mind until you figure it out. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH way to stay the course and get a reasonable answer to your experience. 
    Brother Cap I am one of those people that unsolved problems really eat at. Especially if it’s cooking or slaughter related. I can’t let stuff like that go, it nags me until I figure it out. I never was very intelligent but I have always been very, very diligent. I am glad to get it figured out. Now if anyone encounters it they know what it is 👍  

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Saw this thread had been bumped and was hoping Scottie had an answer.  You did not disappoint, my friend.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    PS: unsolved problems eat at me too.  Strange that I spend every day working on them ;)
  • SGH
    Options
    PS: unsolved problems eat at me too.  Strange that I spend every day working on them ;)
    If I had half of your brain power I would be dangerous my friend  =)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Saw this thread had been bumped and was hoping Scottie had an answer.  You did not disappoint, my friend.
    Brother I was thankful to get an answer 👍

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for demotivational posters failure
    Options
    Options
    Do you know what is really sad brother? 90% of my problems are self inflicted. Unfortunately that is honestly true. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    It’s those times that you don’t see it coming that really get to me. 

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    Options
    That's a great final chapter to the story.  It would be nice if they could find a way to keep those birds off the shelves and outta the bins in the first place.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Image result for failure meme
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:
    That's a great final chapter to the story.  It would be nice if they could find a way to keep those birds off the shelves and outta the bins in the first place.
    Brother Trim it would seem that they actually do a very good job with quality control. I will be 56 next week and that is the first that I ever encountered it. 

Status- Standing by.