Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic vs. butt pulled pork

I have one butt and one picnic going on in an hour or so. We don’t see a lot of picnics down here so I don’t recall doing one before. Doing straight pulled pork- is there anything I need to know on the picnic vs. the butt?  
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2019
    IMO, they cook the same just a little different texture, I cook the same as a Butt
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    IMO, they cook the same just a little different texture, I cook the same as a Butt
    Thanks. That’s what I thought but didn’t want to eff up dinner tomorrow night. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    I find butt has better marbling than picnic. Our late friend LS loved whole shoulder (aka NY shoulder) with picnic and butt still attached, and mix them 50/50 after shredding.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just take off the skin on picnic, more or less the same as a butt.  The skin can be too el dente, chewy yadayada...
    theres more fat in the picnic that needs to be removed when pulling but over all the same cook. picnic has more flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I know @tarheelmatt is partial to the picnic as he likes chopped BBQ.  He has the cleavers to prove it...  :)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Butts are my go to, but will do picnics when I have to. As others have said, more fat, need to remove the skin, different texture, but cook is basically the same.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • I pulled the skin and left all the fat cap I could. Looking good so far. The picnic is straight pulled pork style and the butt was rubbed with Carne Adobado style rub (Chile powders, cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano, salt and pepper) and then larded with 12 cloves of garlic and 6 whole serrano peppers. 

It was running way ahead of the picnic so I put it in a cooler at 180 for a couple of hours while the picnic catches up. I’ll post pics of that later (spoiler alert- it looks like a pork butt). 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I think pulled pork is a great idea for a light snack to bring to thanksgiving dinner.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Not enough garlic! I’m doing perníl for tomorrow. Used about 30 cloves in a paste and larded the picnic with 10ish more. Skin will be cueritos, as I just cut it back to the tapered in, like a flap. Hopefully the cueritos will hold up in the hour car ride.
  • Legume said:
    I think pulled pork is a great idea for a light snack to bring to thanksgiving dinner.
    It's for dinner tonight but if the turkey is anything like last time, I'll be glad if we have leftovers. I think the bird was cooked to about 145 in the thigh last time (they cook to time, not temp and got some $100 heritage breed "all dark meat" turkey that didn't obey the rules). Everyone saw the bloody turkey and skipped right to the sides. We were being polite and hanging back- all the sides were gone before we even went through the line. Plus they always have several unannounced guests "show up" who crush all the food. It's the only Thanksgiving we ever go to with not enough food. EVER.

We've been getting tests all week about how no extra people are coming this year (we promise!) and we have sooooo much food! We get this text every year before 10 extra people show up and there is not enough food.

We are stashing back up in a cooler in the car just in case. "oh hey, would you look at that, we just happen to have mashed potatoes, green beans, dressing and gravy in the car. How did that get in here?"

Happy Turkey day all! let the games begin!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2019
    You must be the inspiration for that Whole Foods ad.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited November 2019
    That's the opposite of how our holidays go.
    "We have 10 people coming and we have enough food to feed 40"
    "OK, so what can we bring?"
    "Nothing.  We already have enough food for 40 and only need to feed 10"
    "OK, so I'll make a couple of pies and pick up a honey-baked ham.  And I'll have my Husband make about 40 servings of appetizers on the egg"
    It seems that many people place their need to feel like they contributed over the needs of the actual situation...
    But that's another discussion.  Enjoy the pork and have a great holiday weekend.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• You must be the inspiration for that Whole Foods ad.

I laughed the first time I saw that. “Phase it in”
  • They told janell “we have everything else covered, you just bring a few snacks”. Let’s just say I’m glad I have a truck
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    We’re just six this year, immediate family only.  I left Specs today with 10 bottles of wine.  Should be about right.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Legume said:
    We’re just six this year, immediate family only.  I left Specs today with 10 bottles of wine.  Should be about right.
    I wish I was in your family.
  • Both turned out really good. Held in a SRF styrofoam cooler for 8 hours and still 160 when I pulled. The picnic pulled great but the muscle fibers are Longer and have more of a stringy texture than the butt. Still delicious. The butt larded with serrano and garlic was the consensus winner. The heat from the peppers and flavor of the garlic permeated all the meat. give that a try if you want a new spin on pulled pork. 

happy turkey day everyone. Thanks for the tips. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Thanks for the update.  Happy Thanksgiving.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX