Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Propane Question

Not sure if any of you fine folks can enlighten me but I have a question about propane tanks. I recently unpacked and set up my pizza oven and did the initial firing of the bricks. I know very little with regards to propane and regulators. My question/concern is this. I have a newly filled propane tank and when I went to fire the oven up the other day with the regulator set to any setting but low I would hear a high pitched whistling sound coming from where the hose is hooked up to the ignitor on the oven. When on the lowest setting I wouldn't hear it but if I went any higher it would start again. Could this possibly be a bad hose, ignitor, or tank? Whats the best course of action to take to narrow it down?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• Could you have possibly cross threaded one of the fittings? 
    XL BGE
    Malden, MA
  • It’s a possibility but I unhooked the hose on both ends and tried again. It was slightly better but still occurring the 2nd time

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Just a guess, but maybe try Teflon tape on the threads?
    XL BGE
    Malden, MA
  • What you are hearing is a vibration. Nothing to worry about. It may go away when the temps warm a bit or the humidity changes. If it bothers you, a new regulator will fix the issue. This is not uncommon. Now, if you are smelling gas that’s a different story. 
    Snellville, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2019
    I didn't see where you said it was leaking propane through the fitting or threads so I'm not sure why people are offering tips on how to seal the threads? Are you saying that you have leaks or are you just concerned or distraught over the high pitch sound at a higher volume of gas output? To me it sounds like the volume of gas being expelled causing a Venturi effect which is giving you the sound pitch you are describing. I often hear this sort of sound using a nitrogen regulator especially when I bump it from a relatively low pressure to a high pressure very quickly.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • My main concern is whether or not the high pitched whistling sound I’m hearing is going to cause the propane tank to blow up. I don’t smell any gas leaking anywhere. It doesn’t make the noise when the regulator is on the lowest setting or the highest but when on medium it makes the noise

• I wouldn’t worry about it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    My main concern is whether or not the high pitched whistling sound I’m hearing is going to cause the propane tank to blow up. I don’t smell any gas leaking anywhere. It doesn’t make the noise when the regulator is on the lowest setting or the highest but when on medium it makes the noise
    The whistling noise itself will not make the tank blow up.  If you do not smell gas or feel it escaping I would not worry to much.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    It's a long shot, give this a try ... shut off tank, disconnect hose from pizza oven, reconnect, turn tank back on very S-L-O-W-L-Y, light the oven as usual.
    Like I said, it's a stab in the dark, it's a remedy for fixing low flame problem especially after connecting a fresh tank, but who knows  ;)
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited November 2019
    I didn't see where you said it was leaking propane through the fitting or threads so I'm not sure why people are offering tips on how to seal the threads? Are you saying that you have leaks or are you just concerned or distraught over the high pitch sound at a higher volume of gas output? To me it sounds like the volume of gas being expelled causing a Venturi effect which is giving you the sound pitch you are describing. I often hear this sort of sound using a nitrogen regulator especially when I bump it from a relatively low pressure to a high pressure very quickly.
    This^^^^...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    You're good. Says this guy.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    If you want to insure there are no leaks try this. Mix water with a little dish washing detergent in a spray bottle. Spray the fittings. It will bubble if there is a leak. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • =)funny right there
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Or hold your lighter around the fittings
    This made me laugh 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Or hold your lighter around the fittings
    I’d prefer to not become a candle

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    wouldnt worry about it if its not leaking and the oven gets to high temps.  freeze ups can happen if the propane flow gets to fast and its freezing out, had to change to a bigger regulator on the house and have had that problem on the weber. that noise sometimes happens when they over fill the tank, it may go away once you use it a few times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Do you have a high stage pressure regulator at the tank? The regulators on appliances are usually a low stage regulator. Curious why you have a regulator that is "regulator set to any setting but low"? Most are set to one pressure in inches of  water column. Moving the pressure up and down is going to cause burner to have different air mixture which is not good for efficiency.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    I had a leak at the shutoff valve on a gas stove once. I about sh!t when the plumber pulled out his lighter and lit it. It sat there burning like a pilot light.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• I sent a video and spoke with the manufacturer. He said there is a screw inside the regulator housing that needs adjusting. I guess opening or closing that screw adjusts the size of the opening through which the gas enters the ignitor. I will adjust it tonight and all should be well.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited November 2019
    I have a propane question for any experts here. I don't want to hijack this thread though, so please PM me if you have advice.

I made a propane fire pit for my wife in the back yard. I have a 24" round propane burner with the natural gas>propane adapter. It's plumbed to a piece of 1/2" line that is buried under ground and run about 15' and then stubbed out of the ground. I hooked a small propane bottle with regulator to the gas line.

It works like a charm every time I use it - for about 30-45 minutes then it just goes out like the bottle went empty - except the bottle isn't empty. My assumption is that the propane gas on the top of the bottle runs out faster than the LP turns into gas. I bought one of those bottle heater blankets and it didn't help.

How do I fix this? Bigger bottle? Different regulator? People with large propane tanks have a regulator on the tank plumbed to a gas line that runs to the house - how is what I did any different?

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • don't worry about hijacking. Anyone feel free to answer Sci's question.

• ColtsFan said:
    I had a leak at the shutoff valve on a gas stove once. I about sh!t when the plumber pulled out his lighter and lit it. It sat there burning like a pilot light.
    That is how I roll but probably not safe for the internet... I’ve had the hoses on fire while using cutting torches as well
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I don’t have the answer to your question but I do know if you are going to use serious amounts of propane you need one of these
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Only thing I use propane for is my forge... 

I don't recall ever hearing any kind of whistling noise from the setup. Even when I had a gasser, I don't recall that. I do recall having tanks filled in the dead of winter venting when we had a warmer day (I could hear, and smell that) more than a few years back. 

As already noted, if you don't smell the propane leaking, I wouldn't really worry about it. They add some nasty smelling sheit to propane so that you'll pretty much smell any leak level you might have. Or use either soapy water, or even Windex, at the connections to check for leaks visually. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    using a lighter to look for leaks is fine except in the rare case the tank is at ambient pressure (empty). 

You'll smell the mercaptan long before you have dangerous gas buildup and those tanks don't explode unless you throw them in a fire or shoot them.

@sci@SciAggie There's a frit in those cheap regulators that can get clogged up if they get wet.  You can usually fix this by heating the regulator disconnected at the lowest setting your oven goes.  Or replace the regulator. 

Sometimes taking the regulator off and venting any pressure in the hose can fix a "stuck" diaphragm.
    @nolaegghead Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    I currently have a airsource heat pump with natural gas backup for when it goes below 30 or so.   Other than home heat, charcoal / wood is my friend.

Simple, plus my carbon emissions feed the trees.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • using a lighter to look for leaks is fine except in the rare case the tank is at ambient pressure (empty). 

You'll smell the mercaptan long before you have dangerous gas buildup and those tanks don't explode unless you throw them in a fire or shoot them.

@sci@SciAggie There's a frit in those cheap regulators that can get clogged up if they get wet.  You can usually fix this by heating the regulator disconnected at the lowest setting your oven goes.  Or replace the regulator. 

Sometimes taking the regulator off and venting any pressure in the hose can fix a "stuck" diaphragm.
    can confirm that when wrapped in tannerite  packs, lit on fire, and shot with a .223 they will explode. I believe bourbon also plays a critical role in this process. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Certainly not encouraging anyone to light "leaks" on fire, but if anyone's curious as to why it works --

It all has to do with how rich the mixture is.  Combustible gasses have what's called a "lower explosive limit" and an "upper explosive limit" - below the LEL and concentrations are insufficient to ignite; above the UEL and there's not enough oxygen to burn.

This is why backdrafts happen, and why many people singe of their eyebrows at one point or another while using their BGEs...
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...