Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    SGH said:
    I am anxiously awaiting your evaluation
    I am going to be 100% honest here. The sandwich was great. Was it better than Chic-fil-a? No. But it was equally good. Just different. I was actually very surprised at how good it was. 
    I thought it was really really good. Snagged one myself yesterday. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Geaux LSU!!!!
    Options
    LSU is for real- normal awesome defense but finally have an incredible offense to go with it

Plus, kind of like the Pats it’s really fun to pull against Alabama. They have dominated for so long
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Geaux LSU!!!!
    They are looking great so far. If they go on to beat Bama I hope they go all the way 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Watching Alabama get schooled in a Quarter bar. First the Patriots and now Alabama? Life is good.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    SGH said:
    I am anxiously awaiting your evaluation
    I am going to be 100% honest here. The sandwich was great. Was it better than Chic-fil-a? No. But it was equally good. Just different. I was actually very surprised at how good it was. 
    I thought it was really really good. Snagged one myself yesterday. 
    I am yet to try one.  Scared that I might get shot or something.  Thanks for the update.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Every comment I've read online is that Minnesota hasn't played anyone yet and doesn't deserve to be ranked #13 in the nation.

Gopher fans storming the field this afternoon beating #5 ranked Penn State. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Sister-in-law asked if I could replace her rear brakes. The brakes weren't so much the issue as the emergency brake was the culprit of the screeching she was hearing. A couple brackets that hold the emergency brake in place ended up shearing off. I ended up changing the brakes anyways since they were off.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I went to Moe's Fresh-mex grill for lunch Friday, and it looked like an accident or something on the street when I left; turned out to be a line at the Popeye's drive-thru, stretching the length of the parking lot and onto Antelope Drive.  Made it kinda hard to safely get onto the street.

So, w/cheekun sammiches on my mind, I made this forum's "The Chicken" recipe today, but made sammiches instead of the quarters and accompanying veggies.  Can't remember who here originally posted it, but I had saved it and copied it below. No pics; used Egg-toasted Kaiser rolls, mayo, lettuce and tomato (the sauce has a lot of vinegar, so I skipped the pickles).  
    Don't know if they were as good as Popeye's, but I'm betting they were.   :) 

The Chicken

"About thirty years ago I was living in North Carolina for a few years building a factory. This is when I met my wife. Her father used to take me to chicken shacks as they were called. Places the average person would never find, miles out in the woods with no signs. One place was Keaton's chicken, a small maybe ten table establishment run by an elderly black gentleman. He was very particular about who he would serve, if he didn't like you or you were rude, you wouldn't eat. His chicken tasted like nothing I had ever tasted before and had people lined up every night for it. After moving back to Arizona I found myself craving the taste of it and attempted to duplicate it. My wife's aunt had a recipe for BBQ chicken that I tried, then tweaked until I came up with a flavor profile that matched my memory.

"For the last 10 years or so, my daughters' boyfriends, and some now husbands, have liked this recipe so much that they dubbed it "The Chicken". Last night I combined my new love of cooking veggies in chicken fat with this unusual chicken recipe, and thought I'd share. I chopped up some potatoes, poblano pepper, bell pepper, mushrooms and a sweet onion. I then added minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and parsley. I tossed them together in a disposable lasagna pan."

Next I took chicken quarters and tossed them in a ziplock bag with some flour. They don't need any seasoning. Set the Egg up with the plate setter legs up, a grid on the plate setter and a raised grid clipped onto the main grid. Stabilize your cooker with a dome temperature of 350 degrees. The chicken parts go on the top shelf with the veggies underneath.

I let that cook for 90 minutes while I gathered up the ingredients for the sauce:

• Juice of 1 lemon
    • 2 Tbs crushed red pepper
    • 2 Tbs black pepper
    • 1 Tbs cayene pepper
    • 4 Tbs kosher salt
    • 2 Tbs chile powder
    • 2 Tbs Louisiana hot sauce
    • 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 Tbs garlic powder
    • 2 Tbs dijon mustard
    • 1 pint of white vinegar

I whisked that together and brought it to a boil then whisked in 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.

With the sauce very hot, I pulled the chicken from the Egg, and dipped it then set it on a piece of foil. I drizzled a few extra Tbs of the sauce over the piece then wrapped it up tight in the foil. Note: the sauce is supposed to be thin, do not try to thicken it. The idea is it steeps into the meat. The foil packages get wrapped in towels and put into a cooler for 30-60 minutes.

The Veggies were outstanding. And the chicken was, well "The" chicken. -RP

I used boneless, skinless thighs, pounded lightly into roughly Kaiser shape, cut down on the salt as I'd brined the thighs overnight, and I don't whisk in any oil, fwiw.  I also re-read the "Favorite Hot Sauce" thread, picked up a bottle of Valentino's ($0.89 here!) and spread a little on one of the thighs and wrapped in foil (will try that tomorrow).  I really like Tabasco, but it's a bit much for Buffalo Wings, anxious to try this stuff.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    Options

Congrats on the win. LSU was the much better team today. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Just woke up. Slept 11 hours like it was nothing. Headed back to work soon 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just put a couple butts on the XL.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options

That looks excellent. What do you do to get the loin flat? Double butterfly and then beat it?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @nolaegghead Congrats on the win. The better team won for sure and I hope they go all the way. Roll Tide!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Epcot food and wine Day 2 coming up next!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Epcot food and wine Day 2 coming up next!
    Love going to Disney when they have that. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Eoin said:
    That looks excellent. What do you do to get the loin flat? Double butterfly and then beat it?
    No butterfly cut. I slice it lengthwise close to the cutting board and then unroll the loin while slicing it. Only minimum pounding if any. The shun boning knife makes easy work of it. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Just got back from Disney, we spent some time doing the food and wine fest at Epcot, it was 💯 worth it. Here are some pics!

My last GF wrote several medical textbooks for Lippincott Publishing, and they flew her (and me!) out to FL during this festival back in, what, 2007?  Had a fantastic time, and one of the best winetastings I've ever been to (Chateau St. Michelle).    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Botch said:
    Just got back from Disney, we spent some time doing the food and wine fest at Epcot, it was 💯 worth it. Here are some pics!

My last GF wrote several medical textbooks for Lippincott Publishing, and they flew her (and me!) out to FL during this festival back in, what, 2007?  Had a fantastic time, and one of the best winetastings I've ever been to (Chateau St. Michelle).    
    That sounds like great time indeed and an awesome gesture sending you two out there! @hoo@Hook_emHornsfan_74 I am glad we went! I’ve been seeing pictures and hearing how much fun everyone else has had as this event and have been wanting to go for a few years now. Definitely worth the hype.
    LBGE
    AL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Cool presentation, Larry. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Cool presentation, Larry. 
    Thanks my friend, small cook today