Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whadayahave, whadayahave, whadayahave!

Interesting video. Had no idea The Varsity was that busy! What a zoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waCkztS9ZMU

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very cool behind the scenes look. I knew they were busy but I had no idea they had a fried pie assembly line. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    An Atlanta institution. Best chili dogs and onion rings there is.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Yep.  Dining there is a real experience.  I was in Atlanta in 1990 visiting a friend and he took me there because he appreciated the efficiency and the food - particularly the Frozen Orange ("FO") drink.  

He was particularly intrigued by the fact that they have their own language such that after you placed your order they would yell it out in their shorthand language "WALK TWO DOGS, BURN A BURGER AND SOME RINGS, AND TWO FOs".  Also, at busy times they didn't bother to ring up the individual items.  They'd just look on your tray(s) and do some math in their head and tell you a number and ring it up one time and move on (it was his impression that they were pretty accurate but if they were off by $0.25 or $0.50 either way nobody cared).

I highly recommend a trip there if visiting Atlanta.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    I lived 100 yards from the Varsity for two years. The RAs in the freshman dorms at Tech would always warn us about eating over there too much. The “freshman 15” would quickly turn into the “freshman 40”. Tons of great stories and memories at the Greasy V. Good times... 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2019
    Place is awesome.  2 Chili cheese steaks w/ pimento cheese, chili dog, O ring, FO and 2 peach pies (for later) has been my order since high school.  Can't do it often but when I do....oh man.  

That's an interesting video.  Thanks for posting!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    edited November 2019
    They also sell more Coca Cola than anywhere else on earth. 
  • Knew by the title what, or whom, this thread would be about. Good stuff! An Atlanta tradition that is worth preserving!
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Those onion rings look exactly how I like them. Little one off greasy burger joints often have rings that look like that here. 
  • I lived 100 yards from the Varsity for two years. The RAs in the freshman dorms at Tech would always warn us about eating over there too much.
    I made many a "V Run" across the highway over the years.  Even now, if I can, I always try to stop by when I am in Atlanta (or even the one in Norcross).

Years ago, I took a friend there.  He was not impressed.  I guess he was expecting a high-end burger.
    Raleigh, NC
  • rekameohs said:
    I lived 100 yards from the Varsity for two years. The RAs in the freshman dorms at Tech would always warn us about eating over there too much.
    I made many a "V Run" across the highway over the years.  Even now, if I can, I always try to stop by when I am in Atlanta (or even the one in Norcross).

Years ago, I took a friend there.  He was not impressed.  I guess he was expecting a high-end burger.
    Was he from Athens?
  • Love it!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    rekameohs said:
    I lived 100 yards from the Varsity for two years. The RAs in the freshman dorms at Tech would always warn us about eating over there too much.

There’s a Varsity Junior about 10 minutes from the house. I wear out those fried pies...
  • DoubleEgger
    Varsity Pro Tip: Buy a can of their chili while you’re there and use it with egged hamburgers and hotdogs. 
  • rekameohs said:

Your friend must not been from around here! :)
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Pro tip:  Don't do the Varsity Jr at Hartsfield before getting on a transatlantic flight.  36,000 feet is not the place to drop a chili dog deuce.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Love me some Varsity every time I can make it to Atlanta.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• TN_Egger said:
    Pro tip:  Don't do the Varsity Jr at Hartsfield before getting on a transatlantic flight.  36,000 feet is not the place to drop a chili dog deuce.
    Solid advice.  This guy knows.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    For some reason, I need a road trip for some Varsity.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • We had a “Varsity” drive in in Hays Kansas back in the late 70’s!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Y'all come on down....I'm buying! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    On a completely different note, check out 9:13 mark of the video.  Ol' buddy boy is wearing a real Rolex.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Few days in Atlanta for a National Toyota Show a few years ago and didn’t get to the Varsity as hoped. But did get great chilly dogs and rings at the Varsity at the airport before heading back to Texas. Very good. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    And you had best be ready to order when it's your turn.  
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    LesMo said:
    It’s a kindler, gentler, Varsity these days. Not like madhouse it used to be 
  • LesMo said:
    It’s a kindler, gentler, Varsity these days. Not like madhouse it used to be 
    Couldn’t get near the place last week when I was down there.

Of course that was because the north ave bridge (along with all the rest and the connector)was closed and we were on the west side.