Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Halibut with Thai Green Curry, Herbs, Roasted Peppers

Options
Been a while since I posted anything but this one is worthy of noting (and putting the recipe somewhere I can share and revisit myself)

fish cook: dry brined with 4:1 kosher salt to raw sugar for 30 min. Rinsed and sous vide 45 min @ 130. I seared my piece on one side after the bath, TFJ did not. We were both very happy with the results. Texture was unreal.  Perfect time and temp for halibut (thanks to Kenji for that) 

Curry Paste (from Epicurious)

TFJ’s revisions:

Substitute 
3 Serranos
1 tsp fish sauce for shrimp paste
3 small bay leaves, zest of 3 limes and zest of 1 lemon for kaffir lime leaves

green curry sauce:

TFJ’s revisions:

2 Tbsp curry paste
2 tbsp fish sauce (none at finish)
Reduce by half 
Sub Thai basil if possible
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Looks like a killer plate of food  B)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude... I’d be all over that. Haven’t delved into making Thai curry pastes from scratch, but this definitely inspires me to. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Dude... I’d be all over that. Haven’t delved into making Thai curry pastes from scratch, but this definitely inspires me to. 
    It’s right up your alley. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    On the list of have to make.  I’ve been playing with curries lately and this looks great.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SV must be a great way to prep fish. The cook looks most excellent. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SV must be a great way to prep fish. The cook looks most excellent. 
    It’s what we use it for the most. Seems the more delicate the ingredients, the better suited they are for Sous vide. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    WOW great cook - looks beautiful.  Thanks for sharing - I will try this 100%  (maybe with some shortcuts) next time I find a good peice of Halibut.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That's a great looking cook.  Thanks for sharing.... the pictures, at least.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Every time I see a cook like this I say I'm going to SV my fish next time I get some and I talk myself out of it.......ALWAYS.  I think this may be just the kick in the azz that I need.  Thanks for posting because it looks incredible!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Every time I see a cook like this I say I'm going to SV my fish next time I get some and I talk myself out of it.......ALWAYS.  I think this may be just the kick in the azz that I need.  Thanks for posting because it looks incredible!!!
    You won’t be sorry. I never cook fish any other way anymore. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Excellent, I will be trying this as well!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Great cooks. Have to remember to do forum search on 'green thai curry' next time, my bookmarks are getting out of control  :)
    IMO SV is kind of an oxymoron ... great for delicate fish but also great for tough blade roast.
    canuckland
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    That is a beautiful plate of food.  Nice work.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com