Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Notes From Ecuador

I arrived with the lady who tolerates me on Wednesday, we'll be here for another couple weeks, primarily around the Cuenca area with a Galapagos side trip. We've made this trip the previous two years during the same time frame. Day of the Dead and Independence Day celebrations are currently under way. We enjoy them immensely, along with the culture, the people and the food of course! 

I thought perhaps the forum folks might be interested in some cooking/eating items we encounter. Along those lines I'll add to this post from time to time. For now a couple bread/pizza ovens we came across. First up a massive oven from where we stayed the first night just outside Quito:

The opening is inside the building, unfortunately I was unable to get access to the kitchen, so no pics from that side.

Next up a custom build unit that resides in the courtyard of a chocolate maker that has a restaurant.  This was originally wood fired, now converted to also run on gas.  The owner told me I could have one built for $600-700.  Sorry that my "inside" pic lacks clarity.  There is a Brinkmann offset sitting next to it, also converted to run on gas:

All for now, hope some find this interesting.
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    Sounds like a great trip! 
  • Interested?   Not yes, but HELL YES!!!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Absolutely and thank you!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • excellent, post more please...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Great adventure right there and thanks for sharing on the forum. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks for sharing...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Please keep us posted
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Try the grilled Cuy, I hear it's delish.
    Gittin' there...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.  Those "sh!thole" countries aren't just filled only with rapist criminals after all!  
    @dbCooper. Nice keep us posted,  especially about the Galapagos.  Wanting to go there myself for the scuba diving
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Looks like you're off to s great start.  Thank you for sharing with the group.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nice thread! Looking forward to more!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Very jealous. My wife and I were looking at retiring in Cuenca until her asthma reared its ugly head with a vengeance. It is usually rated the #1 Retirement Haven on the planet. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Great post.  We were there 21 years ago and this is bringing back some great memories.  

One thing I remember about the food is that their "soup" was often more like a meal with soup - at least in Guayaquil.  For example, "fish soup" was a bowl of soup with a whole fried fish filet sitting on top of it.  (For the record, I viewed this as a good thing).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Keep the posts coming- enjoying this one and what a great experience. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I agree. Please keep them coming! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Do they have any Kei cars?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    My grandparents traveled the world extensively and always said the Ecuadorians were some of the nicest they encountered anywhere.

Love the pics!!  Please keep them coming.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Great pics, and keep them coming.

It was interesting to see the asado for the pig in the first round of pics.  I think of that as an Argentinian thing, but it is cool to see it in other spots.

I've had the itch to visit Equador, and your travelogue is making it itchier!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • dbCooper said:

I arrived with the lady who tolerates me on Wednesday

Hopefully, you can find someone that tolerates you on the other days of the week!

Nice pictures/descriptions.  Thanks for sharing
    Raleigh, NC
  • Really interesting post, thanks for sharing.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    rekameohs said:
    dbCooper said:

I arrived with the lady who tolerates me on Wednesday

Hopefully, you can find someone that tolerates you on the other days of the week!

Nice pictures/descriptions.  Thanks for sharing
    I am fortunate to get one out of seven, from anyone!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks for letting us tag along. I love seeing what people around the world eat and let how they they cook their meals. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    @dbCooper Thanks for posting. Please keep the pics coming. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Great post... looking forward to more 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Beautiful pics and interesting thread reminded me of a book I read in college 

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf