Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made Over the top Chili today—my own version

Options
Thanks for introducing me to this great method for chili.  I usually make a recipe as written the first time but didn’t for this cook.  Added a chopped Serrano chili, used 3 bell peppers, not 5, added 1/2 cup roast hatch green Chile’s, Used bacon fat instead of olive oil to sauté the veggies.  Spice wise, added cumin, oregano, salt and pepper to the giant meat ball and added the meatball when it hit 150-degrees a total of 5 hours of cooking,  Gotta say, half way through the cook, I was sure we were going to order pizza tonight.  When finished, really great.  Here’s a link to the recipe:  https://teggsty.com/over-the-top-smoked-chili/.
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Cool , would like to see the outcome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Oh man, I thought you said "chili" but that link had some sort of concoction they put together, but I did see beans in there.  My guess is you had the wrong link...

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    edited October 2019
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Oh man, I thought you said "chili" but that link had some sort of concoction they put together, but I did see beans in there.  My guess is you had the wrong link...

Your guess is wrong.  No mistake, just outlines a different method to make chili and it’s great.  Read about it on several forums, including this one.  I was skeptical too but it was great and very easy method. Here’s one of the posts from the forum:  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209934/over-the-top-chili

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I will post a pix next time I make a batch.  Had a cup for lunch and it was great.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    Had a cup for lunch and it was great.
    That’s all that matters sister 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    thetrim said:

It also had tomatoes, what's that all about? Eh?
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Was looking for a chili recipe to use for a Christmas Eve party and ran across the posts for the Over the Top Chili. Figured why not.

Followed what seems to be the usual recipe.
    2 lbs 85/15 ground beef (less expensive than the 80/20 by $2 lb).
    1 lb Chorizo
    1 lb Spicy ground sausage
    Chili powder, onion powder, granulated garlic, cumin, pepper. Heated some oil in a small cast iron skillet and did a mild toast bloom of the spices. Added to the meat mix.
    Fire roasted 3 red bell peppers, 1 cubanelle, and 1 jalapeño.
    Sautéed the garlic and onions.
    Used 1 regular Ro-Tel and 1 Serrano Ro-Tel.
    Yes, I added beans. Hell, we're from Massachusetts. We do stupid things up here.
    Been on the Egg for about 2 hours now, registering at 115F. Egg's at a rock steady 275F.
    Smells wonderful.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hey...doing YOUR chili YOUR way suits me just fine! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Hola my friend and Happy New year.  Loved this chili.  When i lived in New Mexico, we had chili many different ways.  the criticism doesn’t bother me.  lack of creativity and lack of an open mind and heart bothers me!  This method is easy.  

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    Looks great.  I squish up some foil into balls to put the pot on, as recommended somewhere-original recipe I think.  Hope it turned out well.  Cheers!

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    Sundown said:
    thetrim said:

It also had tomatoes, what's that all about? Eh?
    What’s your go to recipe?  More than one way to get to Texas.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2019
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    lkapigian said:
    I will post a pix next time I make a batch.  Had a cup for lunch and it was great.
     The teggsty one-handed dry rub sounded pretty painful initially, but actually looks pretty pragmatic.