Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Solo Stove fire pit

Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Anyone here have one? Been looking at them since last fall but haven’t pulled the trigger since I already have a Weber fire pit. The idea of an almost smokeless fire pit is really nice. I’ve been eyeing the bonfire model and by eyeing i mean it’s in my cart. 

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    I have been thinking about buying one myself.....
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Not sure what the return policy is but I see they are on Amazon Prime. 

You can use it for a few nights and if you don't like.... they will take it back.  Zero risk.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Lit
    kl8ton said:
    Not sure what the return policy is but I see they are on Amazon Prime. 

You can use it for a few nights and if you don't like.... they will take it back.  Zero risk.  
    It’s like $50 cheaper on their site and they sent me a $10 code also so it’s like $244. I think I’m gonna get it but then I have to get the stand and an ash screen so it’s gonna be like $400 range. Their website says free returns for 30 days. I showed wifey and she said if it shows up it shows up so that’s covered.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I really like the idea of being able to have guests sit around the firepit... all 360 degrees of it without worrying of smoke.  Even if you have a great clean burning fire with seasoned hardwood... you still get smoke when adding more fuel. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    edited October 2019
    I just bought one, it arrived last week. Had our first burn in it this past weekend. I was quite impressed with the amount of heat it put out and lack of smoke.

The Mrs. was skeptical of the price but after using it she is a believer.

• Lit
    I just bought one, it arrived last week. Had our first burn in it this past weekend. I was quite impressed with the amount of heat it put out and lack of smoke.

The Mrs. was skeptical of the price but after using it she is a believer.

That’s the bonfire?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’ve been thinking about getting one as well. REI sells them, and the price dips a bit every now and then. May be a good buy when REI has their big annual sale in May or some time in the spring. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    caliking said:
    I’ve been thinking about getting one as well. REI sells them, and the price dips a bit every now and then. May be a good buy when REI has their big annual sale in May or some time in the spring. 
    Thanks for the heads up. Gonna swing by and check it out. Worried the bonfire at 20” diameter isn’t big enough for full splits. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Interesting review of one. He has a different opinion regarding the radiant heat issue.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    I have a solostove and while it works as advertised, I feel like you have to be very close to the pit for any radiant heat. Also I should’ve opted for the bigger Yukon as the with the Bonfire regular size splits of wood are a tight squeeze... There is also another fire pit that has sear plates that looks cool called Breeo.
  • Whoo weee! For that price I'm using my wash machine drum until I cant find one that's not plastic. I'll deal with the smoke...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I've been eyeballing them too. I've been seeing ads on social media where they appear to be blowing them out
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Watching a fire is half the fun
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I have one and absolutely love it! I feel like it throws plenty of heat. Sometimes almost too much. I love how I don’t smell like smoke after. The portability is also nice when you need it. 

• What is it about the design that limits the smoke?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG said:
    Interesting review of one. He has a different opinion regarding the radiant heat issue.

Just watched this - very helpful!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    $400 seems expensive for a firepit but I'd own that before spending $400 on a BGE chiminea. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have an 85 dollar chiminea I can spray paint it green 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• I have an 85 dollar chiminea I can spray paint it green 
    Don paint if it’s blue!  I been lookin for one.
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    I've been watching the "what are you buying now" thread. So it seems like there are plenty people here with a lot of disposable income. I need one of those people with money to spend, to pony up for this, and give me a review.

https://thechimneybox.com/collections/frontpage/products/chimney-box
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    HeavyG said:

Just watched this - very helpful!
    It operates on the same principle as the Karubecue - letting any smoke travel thru fire to finish burning up the nasties.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I don’t have the science background to adequately explain why no smoke. In my uneducated brain I would like to think that it burns so hot and efficient that there isn’t any smoke once it gets rolling.  There’s probably some physics involved such as double walled insulation and the holes in the top and bottom and now it exchanges heat but then it starts to sound like I’m taking out my @ss

all I know is that there really isn’t a lot of smoke 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    my fire pit is 6x8 feet made of simple cinder blocks, its probably 30 years or older.  what is this little toy =) im sorry, that is not a bonfire, its a big candle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    So it’s a $400 metal can where the only real benefit is no smoke?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    So it’s a $400 metal can where the only real benefit is no smoke?
     The same can be said of some gassers :)

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited October 2019
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Did the price drop overnight on your pit @lkapigian?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Legume said:
    Did the price drop overnight on your pit @lkapigian?
    ha ha fat fingers
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    It's not like we have the weather for sitting around a fire pit much here in Houston, but we do enjoy sitting around a fire some nights.

Bought a chiminea (not BGE)some  years ago and didn't use it much. The fire is somewhat enclosed, so not much fun to watch, and it didn't seem to give off much heat either. Bought another open fire pit, and although it was more satisfying in terms watching the fire,  it didn't seem to give off much heat either, unless you say close to it. Maybe we needed bigger fires?

So there seem to be 2 reasons to buy a fire pit - the visual/entertainment aspect of it, and a somewhat functional heat providing aspect. The Solo satisfies the first - it looks cool! May not be much of an issue if it doesn't provide much heat, as that is secondary, for us at least.

I did consider buying a broken washing machine on Craigslist, and tearing out the SS tub for a fire pit. Probably less than $50 with beers and labor extra. Figured it wasn't worth the effort and figuring out how to dispose of the wrecked washer after I was done. 

One thing that has kept me from buying the Solo fire pit is that it sits on the ground, and I'm not sure what that would do to the pool deck or patio stone.