Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Solo Stove fire pit

Options

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I tried to buy one five times over the course of about an hour the other day, but kept getting a error when it came time to pay. I took that as a sign. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Correction, I got the backyard bundle, skipped all of the fire-poking and marshmallow tools.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Wolf-  depends on where you are going to use it and which size. 

After zeroing in on the Ranger for size and safety needed for my fire spots, I scoured Amazon for all sorts of cheaper ways to do mesh screen, stand, pokers, etc.  Some options exist but then just got tired of being miserly and got the ultimate bundle.   Stand, screen and screen handles nest/store inside which is cool.  
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ordered the Yukon and stand. Will be used on patio and in the cul de sac. Figured I can add the screen later if it looks like I will need it. 

Hoping I can get full splits in this one- was worried the others would be too small for full size pieces. 

A little expensive for a metal 55 gallon drum, but fall got in my mind after the cooler weather we had this weekend. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Ordered the Yukon and stand. Will be used on patio and in the cul de sac. Figured I can add the screen later if it looks like I will need it. 

Hoping I can get full splits in this one- was worried the others would be too small for full size pieces. 

A little expensive for a metal 55 gallon drum, but fall got in my mind after the cooler weather we had this weekend. 
    Reduced smoke is important to me and this seems to deliver on that promise.  You ok enjoy it.  I have the bonfire and it takes regular cordwood.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    You’ll love it. It will cool down soon enough to pull in from the cul de sac at the end of the night.  For a cheap rain lid once the Yukon is cooled, wonder if you could use a 28” water heater drain pan. I use a smaller one as a lid for a behren’s tub where I keep the chunk / small wood dry for mine. Or get the t-spud lid. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Wolfpack said:

Reduced smoke is important to me and this seems to deliver on that promise.  You ok enjoy it.  I have the bonfire and it takes regular cordwood.
    Apparently I was drunk earlier and didn’t get to enjoy it.  “You ok enjoy it” wtf?
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    You ok too. 

Btw, after I read this thread, the solo stove ads are all over my browser, in my insta feed - the machine is watching you man!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    You ok too. 

Btw, after I read this thread, the solo stove ads are all over my browser, in my insta feed - the machine is watching you man!
    Yep.  I merely talked to my SIL about it and within 12 hours, solo stove ads started appearing on her devices. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Large grid fits in solo stove bonfire model. The grid could be 3/8 larger in diameter but this works. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Large grid fits in solo stove bonfire model. The grid could be 3/8 larger in diameter but this works. 
    It sure does. I seared a tri-tip on my mine once. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    caliking said:
    @caliking Thank you man, it's a labor of love for sure.  Hopefully, when we figure out what normal is going to be you guys can come hang out and teach me to cook.
    oh, hell NO!! If I'm comin' out there, I fully intend to soak it all up, and drink other people's beer. I'm good at that =)
    There's so much truth in that post...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    @caliking Thank you man, it's a labor of love for sure.  Hopefully, when we figure out what normal is going to be you guys can come hang out and teach me to cook.
    oh, hell NO!! If I'm comin' out there, I fully intend to soak it all up, and drink other people's beer. I'm good at that =)
    There's so much truth in that post...
    um...sumthin' I should know?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Went to an outdoor shop yesterday....had a solo grill...$599, if I remember right.....cool, but not that cool...
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I looked at one the other day. To me it looks and feels cheap yet it was $600, no thanks

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    Options
    Bumpity bump. 

One of my beefs about the solostove was that it didn’t seem to radiate that much heat around/laterally. There are some hacks on the interwebz, for building a raised top shield sort of thing, that radiates heat down and around the firepit. I threw together something that sorta worked,  but was fugly even by my standards. 

Solostove put out a deflector last year that I decided to spring for. Pricey? Yes. Solves the problem? Yes. Works better than advertised? Yes. We can now enjoy the heat from the pit, sitting several feet away. 

Solo Stove Bonfire Heat Deflector, With 3 Detachable Legs, Accessory for Bonfire Fire Pit, Captures and redirects warmth, 304 Stainless Steel, (HxDia) 10 x 25 in, 7 lbs https://a.co/d/2zqOhNu

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

One of my beefs about the solostove was that it didn’t seem to radiate that much heat around/laterally. There are some hacks on the interwebz, for building a raised top shield sort of thing, that radiates heat down and around the firepit. I threw together something that sorta worked,  but was fugly even by my standards. 

Solostove put out a deflector last year that I decided to spring for. Pricey? Yes. Solves the problem? Yes. Works better than advertised? Yes. We can now enjoy the heat from the pit, sitting several feet away. 

Solo Stove Bonfire Heat Deflector, With 3 Detachable Legs, Accessory for Bonfire Fire Pit, Captures and redirects warmth, 304 Stainless Steel, (HxDia) 10 x 25 in, 7 lbs https://a.co/d/2zqOhNu
    And you can sear steaks on the hat thingy too!  Very cool.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Options
    I think the bowl on top is for queso
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

And you can sear steaks on the hat thingy too!  Very cool.
    Yup. All kinds of options for using this to cook. 

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Best news of all... Costco is now selling the Solo Stove Kodiak (the big one) for about 1/2 the direct price.  

By the way, the deflector mentioned above makes the Solo Stove a perfect outdoor firepit.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Dang you @caliking

I want that diverter. But now I see solo stove 2.0

That model will not make me look like an idiot shaking the thing upside down trying to get the ash out. 

Plus the diverter and the hit I will take on trying to sell solo stove 1.0 while Costco is selling them for half what I paid. 

The cycle continues
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Dang you @caliking

That model will not make me look like an idiot shaking the thing upside down trying to get the ash out. 

Plus the diverter and the hit I will take on trying to sell solo stove 1.0 while Costco is selling them for half what I paid. 

The cycle continues
    Keep the solo stove 1 .... Rent it out $20/night.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Dang you @caliking

The cycle continues
    You need a second fire pit, and bigger weekend parties.  You're welcome!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I've got this but sometimes it is smokey kinda depends on the wind.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

This sucker is a monster.  29 inch.  I can cut my splits fireplace sized 
    Options
    I’m late to this party, but on the ground floor in the FB forumszzz

The Costco version is V1 - no removable bottom grate. Approach with caution. 

the V2 is supposed to be worth the extra cost (easy clean)

the heat deflector @caliking wrote about is worth the price

you can make your own DIY heat deflector

No matter what version you get, these things can chew through a cord a week. If you’re that afraid of smoke - get all the accessories. The screen. The stand. The skewers. Everything. It does what it claims. 

If you get one shipped, and it’s damaged, they’ll replace it without too much hassle. It’s been happening a lot. 

WHEN you have someone melt their sneaker on the side - embrace the patina. There’s no effective way to clean that off. 

….

I have the washer drum version in my backyard. Beer tastes just as good with my friends around it. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• caliking
    Options
    I'd get the V1 from Costco, if it's that deeply discounted. Easy peasy to clean out with a shop vac. Just make sure the ash is cold, and the embers are completely out. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I just finished my landscaping last summer and put this in. We have spent lots of hours into the wee hours of the morning enjoying it.