Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very low and very slow - coppa time

Options
We’ve been plowing through a mountain of prosciutto and normally serve it with other cured meats we’ve done. @20stonespice was looking for some coppa the other day, and only found a nubbin...and she was sad

Not having any pigs of our own (anymore), I sourced a collar from Salt & Time in Austin.  While they are an excellent spot, to my aggravation, they call a collar a “pork butt”, though, to their credit, they source great pork. 

The recipe is is a repeat of the nubbin, black pepper and toasted fennel, along w salt and curing salt. 

It got trimmed, rubbed and bagged, and sat curing since 9/17, letting the salts soak in. 

Today it got rinsed, dried, rerubbed (fennel and pepper, no salt) and stuffed into a bung. 

Since I no longer have a curing chamber, off we went to the undisclosed location.  Safety first!

All tucked in. Now we just wait another three or four months, and keep the bad mold at bay.  It is hanging at 60F 70%RH. It should be good. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Watching this one @20stone

Mind sharing spice/cure amounts and process
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Too bad it won't be ready THIS weekend. *Cue sad face*...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    Too bad it won't be ready THIS weekend. *Cue sad face*...
    There is still plenty of prosciutto
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Didn’t anybody tell you too much cured meat causes bung cancer? Go figure the GI guy chimes in.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    caliking said:
    Meat in bung is my favorite. 
    That sentence is funny as hell!!  

Looking great @20stone
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Why do I always read the word "bung" in a Beavis voice?  
    Thanks for sharing.....these threads are why I always search warehouses for cured meat.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Why do I always read the word "bung" in a Beavis voice?  
    Thanks for sharing.....these threads are why I always search warehouses for cured meat.
    can you imagine if they bought a unit on one of those reality shows.... and opened it... and found this stuff???

glad to see the cured meat program is going strong.  looks fantastic.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • 20stone
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Mind sharing spice/cure amounts and process
    Happy to share, and sorry I missed the ask earlier.  I started with the recipe from the Hungry Dog Blog (https://thehungrydogblog.com/2014/03/coppa-recipe/)

1) Source a pork collar. A craft butcher shop or a local farmer that sells to restaurants may be your best shot.  You want a fatty, huge one.  Never frozen is best. 
    2) Trim off stuff you don’t want - Hard fat, flappy bits that will invite bad mold growth
    3) Rub with a mix off
    a) NaCl - 3.5% of meat weight
    b) Cure 2 - 0.25% of meat weight
    c) 1/4 cup of peppercorns and 1/4 cup of fennel seeds, toasted in a skillet and freshly ground
    4) Vac seal
    5) Toss in the fridge and squeeze it and turn it every few day. I leave it in there for 10 or so
    6) Unbag and rinse off the salt rub, and dry
    7)Rub with a fresh batch of pepper and fennel (NO MORE SALT)
    8) Stuff in a cow bung and tie (YouTube is your friend here)
    9) Poke all over with a sausage pricker (air pockets are NOT your friends)
    10) Hang someplace until it loses 30% of its starting weight
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks so much @20stone

Final cure temp range ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    You guys kill me. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    This was my happy place, a number of years ago (San Sebastian, Spain)

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Thanks so much @20stone

Final cure temp range ?
    Once cased, the curing part is done.  It is onto drying. There are arguments as to what is the “best” temp/humidity range.  When I dry, I aim for 50F and 80% humidity with just a light bit of airflow.  You want high humidity so there is no case hardening, but not so high that bad molds take hold and the meat does not dry. Same with the temp. Personally my thresholds are 45F for low and 55F for the high. 

Large and MiniMax

• 20stone
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    lkapigian said:
    Thanks so much @20stone

Final cure temp range ?
    Once cased, the curing part is done.  It is onto drying. There are arguments as to what is the “best” temp/humidity range.  When I dry, I aim for 50F and 80% humidity with just a light bit of airflow.  You want high humidity so there is no case hardening, but not so high that bad molds take hold and the meat does not dry. Same with the temp. Personally my thresholds are 45F for low and 55F for the high. 

I am in more of a beggars*/choosers situation, and our stuff is in a very large “chamber” that is 60F and ~80%RH with good air circulation.  In my experience, the humidity is much more difficult to manage with a home setup, but $ and attention can get you there. 

*Insofar as you can be a beggar when paying for the privilege to store “wine” 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A very secure “chamber”...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Grinning like a mule eating briars. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:
    A very secure “chamber”...

This is a picture of a man with the right kind of priorities. Ham goes in the safe...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    This is a picture of a man with the right kind of priorities. Ham goes in the safe...
    A chunk of the prosciutto has been consumed, and it has been respackled with sugna and rehung in the Undisclosed Location. The coppas are looking great as well.

20stone said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    lkapigian said:
    Thanks so much @20stone

Final cure temp range ?

I am in more of a beggars*/choosers situation, and our stuff is in a very large “chamber” that is 60F and ~80%RH with good air circulation.  In my experience, the humidity is much more difficult to manage with a home setup, but $ and attention can get you there. 

*Insofar as you can be a beggar when paying for the privilege to store “wine” 
    I did some verification today, and our stuff is hanging at 60F and 75%RH.  I am very happy with how it is looking.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    I am sure that is good as well. Obviously it is or your product would not be as good as it is, or something would have happened by now and nastiness would ensued.  As we both know, there is more to it the just one temperature and one humidity setting that works.
    I have to say the safe door, industrial shelving and other tidbits mentioned and pictured leaves me scratching my head why * I think * the legs are stored in literally a wine vault.  Sure the conditions may be correct, but what happened if you want to slice some off for a midnight snack?  
    Large and MiniMax

• 20stone
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I have to say the safe door, industrial shelving and other tidbits mentioned and pictured leaves me scratching my head why * I think * the legs are stored in literally a wine vault.  
    Wine and charcuterie are both stored in caves under similar conditions in the Old World. 
    Sea2Ski said:
    Sure the conditions may be correct, but what happened if you want to slice some off for a midnight snack?  
    I keep a reserve vac bagged in the fridge, and retrieve the whole leg when special guests are in town. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX