Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peanut butter taste test

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HEB has fresh ground nut butters. One minute its peanuts, then boom - its peanut butter. The texture is between crunchy and smooth, and seems just about right. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My dad wasn't thrilled when out local Sams Club stopped carrying JIF crunchy peanut butter. I told him to grab Skippy instead. He looked at me if I was stupid. Who knew. He apparently knows his peanut butter better than I do.
    Got to respect knowledge and personal choice. Very few I do not like. Very few.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lemonbunny
    Options
    JIF all the way for me! I like that it's a bit sweeter. Peter Pan is a close second, but I think that's almost too sweet.
    Is there a back story on "lemonbunny".. Cool handle. B)
    Thanks! I wish I could say there was awesome story to go with my name choice, but there is none. I like lemony things, and picked a random animal, thus creating, lemonbunny. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    JIF all the way for me! I like that it's a bit sweeter. Peter Pan is a close second, but I think that's almost too sweet.
    Thanks! I wish I could say there was awesome story to go with my name choice, but there is none. I like lemony things, and picked a random animal, thus creating, lemonbunny. 
    Good thing you didn’t go with LemonPartiPoodle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:
    HEB has fresh ground nut butters. One minute its peanuts, then boom - its peanut butter. The texture is between crunchy and smooth, and seems just about right. 
    Ok, you had to go there. I was exercising restraint.  I love peanut butter. I like almond butter, great for some things.

The term nut butter is just wrong, no matter the variety.
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Definitely not the best, but I use PB2 powdered peanut butter. Half the calories, and easily used in cereal or protein shakes.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Skippy when I was a kid. Jif chunky for the last few decades.
    Have tried various brands over the years just to see what I might be missing but keep returning to Jif.
    Hate the "all natural" brands - I'm too lazy to have to stir my peanut butter before each use to remix the separating oil.

EDIT
    Was curious what the article said - here's the link in case anyone else cares to read it:

Anybody tried the "whipped" peanut butters? Didn't know that was a thing.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I use Jif for all my peanut butter needs including baiting mouse traps.  I am a master at that.
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I just had a PBnJ after this thread

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    goobers got its own category
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    +3 for the fresh ground just peanuts from the store. No added sugars. Takes awhile to get used to but I couldn’t stomach that sugar laden Jif/Skippy crap now. 

Multigrain toast, fresh ground peanut butter, sliced bananas, drizzle of honey. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Teddie peanut butter all day
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Here’s a vote for almond butter.
  • caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    Ok, you had to go there. I was exercising restraint.  I love peanut butter. I like almond butter, great for some things.

The term nut butter is just wrong, no matter the variety.
    I chose my words carefully...  then waited to see who would be the first =)

but c’mon... it’s so much fun to say nut butter

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    it wasnt jif in the bucket, it was teddys

Image result for teddie peanut butter

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    you know how they look at tree rings and analyze what the weather was like years ago?  when aliens take a look at my cross section, they'll say "damn how many years did this dude survive on peanut butter? remarkable!"  (it'll sound like meep meep moop meep peanut butter)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Natural Skippy Super Chunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Anybody try this?  All this talk about peanut butter from fresh ground peanuts got me curious.  I was also hungry.  The ingredient list is short & sweet: Fresh roasted peanuts.

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Have tried various brands over the years just to see what I might be missing but keep returning to Jif.
    Hate the "all natural" brands - I'm too lazy to have to stir my peanut butter before each use to remix the separating oil.

EDIT
    Was curious what the article said - here's the link in case anyone else cares to read it:

I've never seen this with the fresh ground peanut butter from the store. The oil doesn't separate, no matter how long its been sitting around. I wonder why.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

EDIT

I've never seen this with the fresh ground peanut butter from the store. The oil doesn't separate, no matter how long its been sitting around. I wonder why.
    Probably not ground enough.  They probably add chunks back into smooth to make chunky.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Jif is what we buy. I was afraid the chosen winner was going to be one of those all natural, non gmo brands.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    If smooth for me great in a smoothie with banana and yogurt as well.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    GregW said:
    Jif is what we buy. I was afraid the chosen winner was going to be one of those all natural, non gmo brands.
    There are no GMO peanuts on the market so all brands are therefore non-GMO (at least for the peanut ingredients).
    Now you can focus on just avoiding those "all natural" products. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EGGHEAD83
    Options
    Peter Pan here since I was a kid. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited September 2019
    Options
    johnmitchell said:
    I have a friend from my music forums, named "Bunny" (he did a lot of the backing music for the Guitar Player (or something) video games.  Great guy.

You need to listen to one of his better tunes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDYXqSihcYg

Tell him Botch sent ya.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Here Jif is for mouse traps... Peter Pan smooth Honey Roasted for me... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Botch said:
    It's pronounced "gif".  :angry:

=) 
    and I suppose our friend from Durham is pronounced GIC??
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:
    There are no GMO peanuts on the market so all brands are therefore non-GMO (at least for the peanut ingredients).
    Now you can focus on just avoiding those "all natural" products. :)
    That's good to know. I always choose taste over all natural.