Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peanut butter taste test

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    scdaf said:
    How on earth did they test 45 peanut butters and NOT include Kirkland?  Ingredients:  peanuts, salt.
    Molasses, sugar and oils have no place in peanut butter.
    Maybe none of the reporters had a Costco membership?? :)
    From the article...
    "This was a blind taste test of peanut butters from five stores in Syracuse: Wegmans, Price Chopper, Tops, Trader Joe’s and Walmart. We sampled national brands and the store brands."

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My dog likes the Kroger Brand the best....at least that's what he tells me. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My dog likes the Kroger Brand the best....at least that's what he tells me. 
    My dog does too. Of course, she also eats rabbit poop.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Jif on an English muffin with a glass of chocolate milk is a favorite of mine. 
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    JIF only here.
    NC - LBGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Fresh ground @Whole Foods. Nothing (Skippy, Jif, etc. ) come close. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Teddie super chunky unsalted is all I buy. I make sure I have at least one in reserve and one in the fridge. Used to buy the just super chunky, until I needed to reduce my sodium intake. Didn't take much to adjust. 

I also spread it on my home made whole wheat bread. I use a bit of honey in the bread, which makes it even better (for all sammiches plus the dinner rolls I make from part of each batch). 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Anybody try this?  All this talk about peanut butter from fresh ground peanuts got me curious.  I was also hungry.  The ingredient list is short & sweet: Fresh roasted peanuts.

Reporting back.  Very thick & chunky.  It's as thick as putty.  Spreading it reminded me of trying to spread Play Doh.  (Not that I'm saying I've spread Play Doh on bread before.)  Perhaps it would spread better on hot toast or if the stuff is pre-warmed?  The taste was peanutty delicious without the extra sugar and whatnot.  I like it, but maybe there's a learning curve on how to use it with ease.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Got to try that.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I don't like Jif peanutbutter anymore. Used to eat it as a kid all the time. Only thing I like now is Peter Pan honey roasted crunchy. Plain PB tastes horrible to me now. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Anybody try this?  All this talk about peanut butter from fresh ground peanuts got me curious.  I was also hungry.  The ingredient list is short & sweet: Fresh roasted peanuts.

Reporting back.  Very thick & chunky.  It's as thick as putty.  Spreading it reminded me of trying to spread Play Doh.  (Not that I'm saying I've spread Play Doh on bread before.)  Perhaps it would spread better on hot toast or if the stuff is pre-warmed?  The taste was peanutty delicious without the extra sugar and whatnot.  I like it, but maybe there's a learning curve on how to use it with ease.   
    Was it right out of the fridge? I usually let it rest on the counter for 20mins or so and it's much easier to spread. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I don’t refrigerate PB.  Not even the fresh ground from the store.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    caliking said:

Was it right out of the fridge? I usually let it rest on the counter for 20mins or so and it's much easier to spread. 
    Like @Legume said, it needs no refrigeration and that’s stated on the label.  Later I’m going to do my part as an American with the “eat enough peanut butter to coat the floor of the Grand Canyon” project.

Flint, Michigan
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I was thinking I would make some comment about using peanut butter on brisket. Then I thought I’d search to see if anyone does that. Dang if I didn't find recipes where people put PB on brisket - it didn't sound good to me - but people do it. 
    I have been surprised by the passion people have about PB. I’m almost jealous I don’t share the enthusiasm. Can we still be friends?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    My wife was visiting her sister in UK a year or two back and really liked this PB, so she brought a tub back.  It was the thinnest PB I had ever had to the point it was tough to spread, it just ran off of things.

• yumdinger
    Options
    JIF there are no others.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have been a JIF customer forever. Don't buy that much, but when I do, I buy JIF. This thread piqued my interest in making my own PB so I picked up a 16 oz jar of unsalted dry roasted peanuts yesterday. A whopping $1.89! Dumped about half of it in my cheapo Ninja food processor and in less than 5 min had 8 oz of creamy smooth PB! No salt, no added oil, no additives, just awesome PB!  

I'm guessing that making crunchy PB would be done by first making creamy, then adding more nuts and processing briefly. Dunno, didn't try it yet, but stopping before the creamy stage leaves you with gritty PB, not crunchy. Anyone ever DIY crunchy? How?

Anyway, this stuff is great and it contains none of the salt, sugar, molasses, grapeseed oil, soybean oil or mono and diglycerides found in JIF. None of these things are particularly bad, but all I have in mine is... peanuts.

Haven't tried cleaning out the food processor container yet. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I think the Europeans make up their lack of eating peanut butter with Nütella; I saw that stuff everywhere.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Botch said:
    I think the Europeans make up their lack of eating peanut butter with Nütella; I saw that stuff everywhere.  
    I was just about to bring that up. Nutella has about 54% sugar vs about 6% in jif.

Americans supposedly eat 700 million pounds of peanut butter in a year, but... Europeans eat 730 million pounds of Nutella yearly. 

We’re winning!!! I’m sure we make it up in Snickers bars though. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I wonder what is the most used Jelly for PB&Js? 

In our home it is only Smucker's Grape, My Beautiful Wife, will not compromise her sammies with anything else.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    My wife stopped at Fresh Tyme the other day and ground some peanut butter for me.  It was honey roasted peanuts with some dark  chocolate chips!!! It’s so good!!! I just eat it by the spoonful.    
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Botch said:
    Man, I was thinking about throwing this product in this discussion! I'm happy you did, that stuff is nasty! When I was a kid, it was the Ovaltine of peanut butter....
  • YukonRon
    Options

Beef ribs, no peanut butter.
    Smoked with white oak, used gunpowder for seasoning.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    caliking said:
    Botch said:
    I was just about to bring that up. Nutella has about 54% sugar vs about 6% in jif.

Americans supposedly eat 700 million pounds of peanut butter in a year, but... Europeans eat 730 million pounds of Nutella yearly. 

Nütella was, iirc, a mix of ground hazelnuts and chocolate.  From that sugar percentage, it must be a lot more chocolate than I realized (I've never had it)!  

BotchTrivia™ of the Day:  I've never had a PB&J.  That sounds disgusting!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:
    caliking said:
    Botch said:

Nütella was, iirc, a mix of ground hazelnuts and chocolate.  From that sugar percentage, it must be a lot more chocolate than I realized (I've never had it)!  

BotchTrivia™ of the Day:  I've never had a PB&J.  That sounds disgusting!  
    I am not a fan. Made 100s for My Beautiful Wife and our children. Never tried one, just looked not right.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Careful eating the PB y'all. 

I just attended a funeral yesterday for a friend's dad. The friend and dad are also members of the church I attend.  He tragically passed away choking on a PB sandwich. 

Very sad.  Nothing his wife could do for him.  He will be greatly missed.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Careful eating the PB y'all. 

I just attended a funeral yesterday for a friend's dad. The friend and dad are also members of the church I attend.  He tragically passed away choking on a PB sandwich. 

Very sad.  Nothing his wife could do for him.  He will be greatly missed.  
    Very sorry for your friend and his family.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

After a Jif creamy peanut butter sammie on cinamon raisin swirl bread at 0430 this morning, thought I would fix something for dinner with a bit more substance.

Behold, I share with you beef tenderloin rubbed in gunpowder, and smoked with white oak. 

Roasted heirloom tomatoes brushed with evoo, dusted with garlic, onion, salt and pepper, covered with freshly, fine grated romano.

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus, also smoked with white oak, brushed with evoo, a clove of minced garlic, shredded sweet onion, with asiago as the topping and wrap.

The wine this evening, was a 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, from Chateau Montelena, one of only two vinyards in the USA to have a bottle of their wine prominently displayed in the Smithsonian, due to the head to head competition in France, which put Napa Valley wines on the map. (Get a chance, check out the movie Bottle Shock).

Not a bad evening for dining.

Thank you for looking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I prefer Jif, any kind. The dogs get whatever is cheapest but they only like smooth.