Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York City Recommendations

Options
I'm taking my wife to New York City for our anniversary in December which will be the first trip for both of us.  We're starting to talk about places we want to eat, where to stay and what to do.  Any recommendations are welcome.  We'll be flying in on a thursday and home on sunday.  My priorities are fine steakhouse, pizza, a true new york deli and cheesecake in no particular order.  

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'm taking my wife to New York City for our anniversary in December which will be the first trip for both of us.  We're starting to talk about places we want to eat, where to stay and what to do.  Any recommendations are welcome.  We'll be flying in on a thursday and home on sunday.  My priorities are fine steakhouse, pizza, a true new york deli and cheesecake in no particular order.  
    I would go to Peter Luger but you will need a reservation and they only take cash. Go to Katz deli. We liked Grimaldi’s for pizza. We stayed at the Sheraton near time square and surprisingly it was very nice. Also I would get a city pass if I were you. Gets you into a lot of stuff. The other thing I would do is go to at least one broadway show. If you are debating about which skyscraper to visit go to the new World Trade Center or Top of the Rock.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Other recommendations I would say as far as museums go to the MET and Natural History Museum. You can do both on the same day unless you are really in to art. Also go visit Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village for "Celebrity" sightings. We sat and talked to Alec Baldwin and his wife for awhile because both his wife and mine were pregnant at the time. There is an awesome little ice-cream place called Serendipity 3 as well. Check that out. As far as breakfast goes, don't waste your money at any restaurants. There are dozens of little bakeries that have great bagels and coffee everywhere.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I go "into the city" 3 or 4 times a year with clients

I had the best Pizza I ever had off Times Sq at Patzeria Family and Friends @311 W 48th Street.  They had a Lasagna Pizza that was incredible.  But honestly you can walk into hundreds of the corner restaurant delis and get a good slice most of the day- Try the Chicken Parm its a nice twist.

Ive had great Steaks at-
    3 different Del Friscos around Rockefeller Center, Mortons, Bobs, and 212.  All were perfect.  I like Del Friscos Grille by the Rockefeller Ice Rink- nice and small and easy to deal with.  I always get reservations.

I have been to Top of the Rock so many times with customers I basically get them up there now, tell them when the bus picks them up then go back to Del Friscos bar.  Frankly its the same as Empire State building just slightly different view.  You can see the Time Sq ball from both, you can see towards Statue of Liberty from Empire State Builidng.  Either way buy your tickets in advance.

In December Saks 5th Avenue will be done up real nice its cool thing to see.

If youve never been, Ellis Island is really amazing history lesson.

The Met, The Guggenhiem, American Museum of Natural History are all good fun.

Ive wanted to do the Cable Car to Roosevelt Island- that looks cool.

The bar at the Marriot Marquis above Times Sq is a great place to see Times Square without the nonsense of being in it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    I've eaten my way through this city for the past two years... We (GF) just moved out of Manhattan last week. I will give you this, the three best IMO:

Sushi: SUGARFISH by sushi nozawa (Stupid good) [Flatiron]

Pizza: Mama's TOO! (Hands down, best pan pizza I've ever had. Go right for the pepperoni. Anybody says there is better in town, I will take that challenge.) [Upper West Side]

Italian: Carbone (Insanity. Stupidly great Italian) [Greenwich Village] **You need to make reservations way out... But they only do them 1 month in advance. Do not miss this place. Or the others above.)

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great and electric city, goes 24/7.  Land, uber to your hotel and uber or subway around, If you only have time for one destination then head to ground zero and the 911 museum.  Plan for a good 3 hours there.  After that have at the remainder, whatever your focus. 
    Your 3 day calendar can be overwhelmed with options so take a bit, enjoy and then return for more. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Good stuff so far. No cheesecake recommendations yet?  I mean they call it New York cheesecake. To be sure somebody knows where to get some good cheesecake. 
  • Calbbqer
    Options
    So many choices but here’s my go to: Katz deli for pastrami, Peter Luger for steak, Lady M for crepe cake, Johns of Bleecker for pizza, Ippudo for ramen, The halah guys for chicken rice, Joe’s Shanghai for Chinese food. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Peter Luger is crazy overrated.  You can cut up your steak midway through cooking and baste with butter at home.

The one place we always go back to is Asian Shanghai Manor on Mott St, I could eat my weight in soup dumplings and crispy noodles.

If you can get in, Le Bernardin is probably the best meal I’ve ever had in my life.

Junior’s cheesecake is very good.

In December I wouldn’t stay near Times Square at all; last time I was in NY in December we had to form a line; I’d push people out of the way, my daughter held on to my coat and my wife held on to my daughter’s.  We usually stay in Tribeca, easy walk to Chinatown and little Italy, away from the crazy crowds in midtown.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    midtown is a nice central spot to stay.  can walk up 5th avenue and window shop and see central park.  make a reservation and have a drink at the bar at the baccarat - most gorgeous bar you'll ever set foot in.  

breakfast at balthazar and walk around soho.

Ellis Island is very cool and well done.  you can stay on the boat and skip statue of liberty to save time if you want. ground zero is close to battery park. 

esse bagel for a breakfast bagel. 

i eat at vitae every time i go to nyc - disclaimer, it's family - but the food really is excellent
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    For cheap and quick bites on the go in Manhattan:

Halal Guys cart at 53rd/6th, I believe in front of or next to a Hilton (there are other locations with carts and I think actual restaurants around the city).  When working out in our N.Y. office a few years back I stayed at the Parker hotel for a couple of weeks and ate a fair share of gyros and plates from that cart then.  

There’s also a good burger place called the Burger Joint in the Parker that is a little hole in the wall in a nice hotel.  

For a cheap (for Manhattan) drink hit up the Whiskey Trader just down the street, nothing fancy. 
  • Givengold3
    Options
    We loved Bowery Meat Company for steak.  Family style Italian, try Carmine’s. We go to the one on Time Square.  Get the meatballs and you may not have room for breakfast the next day. 
    Concord, CA
  • baldeagle7007
    baldeagle7007 Posts: 26
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Jim

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser
    Thermoworks Smoke & Thermapen
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Balthazar and Sarabeth's are two of the best places for a killer breakfast.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I've seen on YouTube a while back, cannot remember the name, but this guy gave pizza tours, sampling and giving history on each place - that sounded great!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Another vote for Katz's deli.  That place changed my life.
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    We've found (for our tastes - may not be for everyone) that the hotels that are a few blocks north of Grand Central Station provide us with the best price:location ratio.  Walking distance to Grand Central and Times Square, but not priced like Times Square and with more of a "neighborhoody" feel.  We have stayed in several in that area and they are all very nice, so we are just price opportunists in that area at this point.

You've gotten a lot of great recommendations from folks that are more knowledgeable than me, but I'll throw my support for a few and mention one other:

1) Another vote for Ess-a-bagel - it's in the area described above.

2) Another vote for a Broadway show - go to Hamilton if you can get in - or just be opportunists via TKTS

3) Another vote for Ellis Island.  An incredibly important piece of US history that I didn't get until we visited.

4) A food tour of one of the neighborhoods is a great way to learn some history and sample a lot of great food all in one.  We did Greenwich Village, but I'm aware you can do SoHo and Chelsea and probably numerous others.  Don't eat breakfast before you go.  And don't plan a big meal later that day unless you do the food tour very early in the day.  It's a lot of food and a lot of fun.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    If you're feeling some smoked fish, you might should visit the Sturgeon King Barney Greengrass
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Lvnthedrm
    Options
    Love NYC
    For steak, you could try Gallaghers.
    If you like magic, check out Chambermagic
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Steak....Smith & Wollensky’s. Make sure you get their hash browns. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I just remembered when I saw the note about Chelsea- go see the Highline
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    Last time I was up that way we stopped Hudson Yards and went to see the Vessel.   Really interesting views. It is free but you need to book tickets for a specific time.

One year we went up in December and did the Empire State Building for sunrise.  It was the first day it snowed that year and was overcast so we did not see the sunrise but got to see the city wake up. Only about 20 or so people so you could take your time and walk around and see of the exhibits/history. However, it is an *early* wake up call.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    "Best Pizza on 1st" corner of 1st and E 57th is really really good.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Pizza
    https://www.grimaldispizzeria.com/locations/1-front-street-brooklyn/

Italian
    https://www.carminesnyc.com/locations/times-square
    https://www.tonysnyc.com/

Pub Grub
    https://www.pignwhistleon36th.com/

BBQ
    https://www.hillcountry.com/new-york-city-menus/

Hotel 57 is of the Renaissance / Marriott brand is where I stay for work.   It is very close to the apple store, Central Park, and the "high end" stores on 5th. 
    https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycbr-renaissance-new-york-hotel-57/

The above hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the "sqaure" and theater district. It is a really nice walk during the winter. SAC's does put on a "holiday" themed show on the side of their building so you can catch that and see the Rockefeller tree.  St. Patrick's is a must if your are of Christian faith.

Some folks HATE NYC, but there is really something really special about NYC close to Christmas. I love it.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    "Best Pizza on 1st" corner of 1st and E 57th is really really good.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options

Some folks HATE NYC, but there is really something really special about NYC close to Christmas. I love it.

saw a volvos back window get smashed, xmas gifts stolen, while eating a burger on park ave one day before xmas. woman came running down the street yelling ...i cant believe this is happening.    saw a car get stripped in maybe 15/2o minutes on the highway coming into the city, doors, stereo, seats, hood, then they flipped it over and dropped the motor =) coming into la guardia i dropped a friend off at a hotel with a car riddled with bullets and a pool of dark blood, car prolly sat there all day without anyone calling.   seen about 5 or 6 adult men chasing a young kid down the road kicking him and throwing things at him, kid was maybe 8, a few streets above time square.  ive only been there twice, where can you go to see all that in two days, gotta love it.  really like the hole in the wall guinness bars.  doesnt take much to keep me entertained =) the south street carolers and the restaurants there were descent.  poor college kid back then, bought a macys box, for the girlfriend, just a box, yes, they will sell you a box, filled it later =) got some miles outa that box.  gotta love the place, just watch your back side on the south side ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    @fishlessman

Park Ave going North has its issues, Park at 57th would not have that issue. 

I've been there ~ a dozen times and have never encountered any of the issues you saw. 

If I can ask, where did you stay?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    billt01 said:
    @fishlessman

Park Ave going North has its issues, Park at 57th would not have that issue. 

I've been there ~ a dozen times and have never encountered any of the issues you saw. 

If I can ask, where did you stay?
    ive only gone in for a day at a time, leaving at midnight.  it was back in the 80's, probably went to neighborhoods that i shouldnt have but had to see harlem for my self, the small irish bars in the lower neighborhoods etc. its alot different now, well except for that airport =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BGEinMaine
    Options
    Take the free ferry to Redhook Brooklyn neighborhood and get some BBQ at Hometown BBQ, pretty awesome.  Also a really good winery a few blocks from there, Red Hook Winery.  I'm a craft beer geek and always try to hit up the tasting room of Other Half brewing when i'm there.
    https://hometownbbq.com/

We usually stay around Midtown to be centrally located and have never even been to Times Square, too crowded and don't want to deal with all the people.

Honestly, almost too many restaurants to chose from in NYC so it can be overwhelming.  I definitely agree with @lousubcap on the 9/11 memorial and take your time and enjoy the city!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    For lunch I really like Mexicue - near Bryant park on 40th street.  Their pulled pork and brisket tacos are legit...  Give it a try! Great bourbon too. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    My wife is a native NYer - she goes up for the half-marathon nearly every year.  It’s always Carmine’s the night before and Smith & Wolensky after.

OT: One year at S&W there was a group of Japanese businessmen there - she came in sporting her newly earned medal - the gentlemen gave her a standing ovation, as if she was the winner.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE