Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York City Recommendations

Options

Comments

• NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    Some says Sparks steakhouse isn't what it was, but it's still my favorite plus the cheesecake there is awesome.

Times Square in December is insanely crowded. It will take you 10 minutes to walk one block. 

Good places for lunch away from the crowds - APL's Daisy Mays BBQ near the Intrepid museum (a retired aircraft carrier), the Meatball Shop (different locations), Benny's Burritos in the Village. Blue Water Grill in Union Square (great seafood)

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    There are lots of good places in NYC. One of my favorites is Dirt Candy. I never thought I would enjoy a vegetarian restaurant but this place changed my mind.

I've eaten at Grammercy Tavern, Becco, Le Beranadin, Daniel, Danube, etc. I can't remember the rest but I've never had a bad meal there. Expensive ones, yes. Bad no.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Revisiting an old thread.  Heading to NYC in early November, so throwing it out to the group for recommendations.  Going to be staying in midtown Manhattan near Bryant park.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Dirt Candy is still in business and doing incredible things with vegetables. Picked up a star since ‘19, so you’ll definitely need to make your reservation as soon as the day becomes available. 

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,404
    Options
    @Hoster05 - sent you a PM with some info.  Also give the search function here a look.  There have been a few threads regarding NYC.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I'm a fan of Keen's Steakhouse.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• lousubcap
    Options
    If you are looking for an elegant dinner, I will also endorse the Grammercy Tavern.  Great food, presentation and price point for NYC. 
    A sleeper destination Gallow Green for the roof top bar. 
    Just go and have fun. 
    So many choices, so little time and $$.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Couldn’t pay me go to nyc. 
    You are missing an experience that should be emjoyed at least once.
    My M-I-L's first trip to NYC (and she grew up just north of San Francisco and taught in that city for a few decades) was when she turned 82 yo and loved the energy and excitement.  This was before Covid but unless you experience it you can't explain the juice the atmosphere provides.  But just an opinion as is yours...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    EggjImh said:
    My M-I-L's first trip to NYC (and she grew up just north of San Francisco and taught in that city for a few decades) was when she turned 82 yo and loved the energy and excitement.  This was before Covid but unless you experience it you can't explain the juice the atmosphere provides.  But just an opinion as is yours...
    I’ve been and it was a crap hole. That was back in the 80’s. I understand it’s pretty close to the same now. I missed out on the better days in between. It is something to behold for sure. On that note I totally agree. Makes other cities look like jr varsity.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    EggjImh said:
    I’ve been and it was a crap hole. That was back in the 80’s. I understand it’s pretty close to the same now. 
    No.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve been going to NYC about once a year for the last 20 years.  It’s a great city.  Name your favorite kind of cuisine and you’ll find it there in spades. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    EggjImh said:
    I’ve been and it was a crap hole. That was back in the 80’s. I understand it’s pretty close to the same now. 
    No.  
    Uh, Yes. 

It helps to be honest about things. 

I don’t think anyone will argue there aren't great cultural things and great restaurants, but it’s dirty and not very safe currently. Just like many other cities. Can you avoid those issues, maybe. To deny that problem is just silly. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    I’ve been going to NYC about once a year for the last 20 years.  It’s a great city.  Name your favorite kind of cuisine and you’ll find it there in spades. 
    Of course you love it. I’m sure you have Schumer and AOC on speed dial when you go there. It’s a dump and always has been. 
    You guys are crazy with this sh!t
  • pgprescott
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Of course you love it. I’m sure you have Schumer and AOC on speed dial when you go there. It’s a dump and always has been. 
    Who are the you guys? 

My points are accurate and everyone knows it. I didn’t go down that lane at all. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Who are the you guys? 

My points are accurate and everyone knows it. 
    Well, at least everyone who was last in NYC in… the 80’s.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Who are the you guys? 

Well, you enjoy your time there. I’ll spend my time elsewhere. Heck, I’d move there if I were you. Great place to raise your kids too. 🤣
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Who are the you guys? 

Well, you enjoy your time there. I’ll spend my time elsewhere. 
    I wouldn’t expect anything else.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Who are the you guys? 

Well, I have Chicago right down the road. It’s pretty bad as well. If I want to brave the situation, I’d prefer to stay closer to home. I prefer the smaller cities anyway. 

I suppose you’d let your wife and kids walk around Times Square after dark by themselves? I wouldn’t like mine doing that. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Geez.

"I'm taking my wife to NY, any suggestions?"

ITS a DuMP!! 

Such a good look.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Legume said:
    Geez.

"I'm taking my wife to NY, any suggestions?"

ITS a DuMP!! 

Such a good look.
    Just the truth. Enjoy your trip. Be safe. 

It’s a better look to lie about it I suppose. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Who are the you guys? 

Well, I have Chicago right down the road. It’s pretty bad as well. If I want to brave the situation, I’d prefer to stay closer to home. I prefer the smaller cities anyway. 

I suppose you’d let your wife and kids walk around Times Square after dark by themselves? I wouldn’t like mine doing that. 
    Good Lord Pete, Times Square is one of the safest places in the city.  It’s lit up like a stadium 24/7 and it’s filled with people.

Look some folks only feel truly safe in small towns with one gas station and fewer than 20k people, and I get that.  To each his own.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Who are the you guys? 

Good Lord Pete, Times Square is one of the safest places in the city.  It’s lit up like a stadium 24/7 and it’s filled with people.

Look some folks only feel truly safe in small towns with one gas station and fewer than 20k people, and I get that.  To each his own.
    Enjoy!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    First time in NYC was likely before most here were born-1967.  I was not old enough to buy an adult beverage (close)  even though the drinking age at that time was 18.  Fascinated with the pace and the energy of the place.
    Was there in the late 60's-early 70's.  If you went to a theater in Times Square you either sat in the balcony or far enough under the balcony. for obvious reasons.
    The powers that be really got after cleaning in up in the mid '70's  thru now. 
    Within the same 6 month period (2004) we (family with SWMBO and 13 and 17 yo sons) were in Chicago and NYC.  We did the tourist hooks in each city for around 4 days each.  NYC was the winner hands-down.
    I'm not gonna attempt to change any opinions here but I honestly believe that every American needs to visit NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Boston (some founding history here with this list so far), Chicago, St Louis, Denver, LA (although that is a hard one for me to suggest), SF and Seattle.  And if you win the lottery Honolulu. 
    Just an old man with a lawn.  FWIW-
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    First time in NYC was likely before most here were born-1967.  I was not old enough to buy an adult beverage (close)  even though the drinking age at that time was 18.  Fascinated with the pace and the energy of the place.
    Was there in the late 60's-early 70's.  If you went to a theater in Times Square you either sat in the balcony or far enough under the balcony. for obvious reasons.
    The powers that be really got after cleaning in up in the mid '70's  thru now. 
    Within the same 6 month period (2004) we (family with SWMBO and 13 and 17 yo sons) were in Chicago and NYC.  We did the tourist hooks in each city for around 4 days each.  NYC was the winner hands-down.
    I'm not gonna attempt to change any opinions here but I honestly believe that every American needs to visit NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Boston (some founding history here with this list so far), Chicago, St Louis, Denver, LA (although that is a hard one for me to suggest), SF and Seattle.  And if you win the lottery Honolulu. 
    Just an old man with a lawn.  FWIW-
    Been to all of them and many more. Fwiw, I agree that everyone needs to visit them. It’s also wise to be informed about what you may encounter. It’s not 2004 today.  Unfortunately. I also recognize that NYC is definitely in a category all its own, just as I mentioned earlier. Have fun and be safe. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    EggjImh said:
    Who are the you guys? 

I can’t believe John is ignoring the danger posed to womenfolk by neon and tacky, overpriced souvenirs.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Times Square after dark <shudder>:

The first clue that it’s a crap hole city is surely the TGI Fridays.
  • pgprescott
    Options

Looks awesome! 
    I won’t bother posting all the newspaper reports/articles over the last couple years. You can do a simple search for yourselves. Like I said, absolutely in a league of its own, but these are strange times we are living. Make your own informed decisions. 🤷🏼‍♂️

you win. Enjoy! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Looks awesome! 
    I won’t bother posting all the newspaper reports/articles over the last couple years. You can do a simple search for yourselves. Like I said, absolutely in a league of its own, but these are strange times we are living. Make your own informed decisions. 🤷🏼‍♂️

you win. Enjoy! 
    Pete, with all due respect, you are here reminding @lousubcap that "it's not 2004 today" when you were last in NYC in... the 80's.  Your lack of self-awareness is kind of staggering.  

If your understanding of what it's currently like in a city is based on newspaper reports/articles over the last couple of years, rather than actual first-hand experience, let me just suggest that you're viewing things through a particular lens that may not be all that accurate.  Sure, like any major city there are places you don't want to be at certain hours of the day and people do get mugged, etc.  But it's not Honduras.  This isn't about being honest or informed or whatever, it's about being able to think critically.  

I'll be up there again next March and will be staying pretty close to Times Square.  I'll post some pics from my own phone when I'm there.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i guess im in the you guys category since i have not been since the 80's.  watched a car breakin on park ave while eating a burger in an outside cafe, all the gifts in back were stolen. dropped a friend off at a hotel just outside laguardia airport in front of a car riddled with bullets and a large puddle of dark blood.  drank in maybe 20 hidden guinness bars. ventured north of times square at night, seemed like a good idea at the time, older kids chasing and beating younger throwing any thing they could find there. didnt stick around too long. went to macys and bought a box to give a xmas present in. saw a car get stripped on the highway getting into the city in what seemed like minutes. i had a blast actually. the next time i took the bus in, never take a long trip in a bus, probably will never fly into lga either.  so long ago, twin towers were still there. will check out the tgi fridays next time im there =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    Options
    For the record I was last in NYC in September 2022 and prior to that 2018.  And I will go again before my life's hour glass of sand runs out.