Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice cooking this beast!

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
edited September 2019 in EggHead Forum
My buddy and I did well on harvesting this 10’ 8” gator last Sunday...any advice on cooks? Smoked, grilled, sous vide. Fried obviously? I’ve never cooked it before and don’t want to screw it up so I’ll take any advice you can throw my way. I’m going to smoke one of the hams, I found a pretty good looking recipe from “deer meat for dinner” YouTube channel.

Dunedin, FL

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Well that’s a first.......

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• BigreenGreg
    Options
    Smart daughter, she has a hand on both those boys. If they move an inch she’s already out of there.  Sorry, can’t help you with cooking the gator. Hell of a catch though.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I hope you get some answers from people who really know.  The only time I had alligator was in a restaurant in Miami, decades ago, and I wasn't crazy about it, really.  I was sort of disappointed in myself.  But lots of people love alligator, so I'm sure there are ways of cooking it that are great.  I'll be checking this thread to see if anybody knows.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @SGH seems like he would know.  @SGH are you around? Can you take a break from shaving to answer gator questions?  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Fry the backstraps. 

Little Rock, AR

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Instapot 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    Wild fried gator meat is as tough as the hide. Good luck. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Alligator sausage is popular around here.  Basic recipe is 2 pounds ground pork with 2 pounds ground gator meat.  Season into any type of sausage.

I'll look later tonight into the John Folse Cajun Creole Encyclopedia and report back.
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @SGH seems like he would know.  @SGH are you around? Can you take a break from shaving to answer gator questions?  
    He might be ironing his overalls...all three dozen of them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I was at a party several years ago where alligator was served, after being cooked whole. It was cleaned and skinned from the neck down. The only thing left un skinned was the head and claws. In a way, it seemed kind of like the way you would cook a holiday turkey.

The alligator head was like a big deal. It came right off after cooking, and several people wanted to take it home.

It was injected, and rubbed, and had to be basted often. They did it in a chinese microwave, which seemed like a PITA because the lid had to be removed frequently for basting.  They cooked it low and slow, around 250⁰F, to an internal temp of 155⁰F, then added smoke until it hit 165⁰F.

They used several bags of charcoal, If I remember correctly, it was like at least 10 -15 large bags, and they had to stay watching over it with a shovel, adding or removing coals as needed to keep the temperature stable throughout the cook.

I have no idea as to the injection but the rub was mondo spicy. Lots of cayenne and paprika, garlic, onion etc., the basting liquid was some sort of sugar base, but that is all I know.

They've were cautious in trying to get it all to cook evenly, because they did not want the tail and legs to finish before the rest. They wrapped them in foil as I recall.

When served, it had a texture like pork cooked well done, and the flavor was heavily influenced by the injection rub and baste.

I get the interest in doing this, but, for all that effort, I much rather have something else for a BBQ. To say the least, I have zero interest in going to a party where alligator meat will be served. BTDT, just was not my thing.

I have no idea if this was the best way to do this or not, nor whether this yields the proper result. It was just my only time to see this getting done, and asking questions more along the why, than how.

Hopefully an expert will give you better details, and step by step instructions that will get you there.

Good luck with your adventure and have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • yzzi
    Options
    @nolaegghead that sound super good. I’ll grind some up for some sausage and maybe a gator chili. @YukonRon I get it’s not for everyone. My wife vowed she will not try any lol. I’ve had fried gator a few times and liked it except for one time from a food truck years ago. I’m sure there’s good and bad cooks just like anything else.
    Dunedin, FL
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Looks like a great belt and some shoes!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    What will become of the hide?  I imagine that is valuable?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I’ve had gator jerky before so there’s always that option as well for some of the meat.  It wasn’t really for me, it had a freshwater pond taste to it of some sort.  But that’s not to say that others wouldn’t like it or maybe what I had could have been seasoned better. 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Here's some cooks you might find appealing, though according to their guidance, your big boy might be TOO big.

https://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/alligator/ 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Dear lord!  You win the internet for the day.  

If I had a beast like that I'd break it down, vacuum pack it into different portions, and figure out what to do over time.  pressure cooker, sous vide, low and slow, stews.... heck of a score... 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • yzzi
    Options
    @blind99 he was skinned and broken down that day. Sooooo much work. I have yet to vacuum pack the meat, and I need to still deflesh and salt the hide so I can preserve it to get tanned. I'm late on the game with that one, but will get it done tonight. Meat packing will be tomorrow. Paying someone to process the next one lol
    Dunedin, FL
  • speed51133
    Options
    you could just treat it the exact same as a pig at a pig roast. I don't see why that would not work.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • sabretooth04
    Options
    Cooks just like chicken.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I might be wrong but I thought @Jupiter Jim used to be a trapper? Not sure if he’s still watching. 
  • yzzi
    Options
    He's not whole anymore, I have all the meat broken down. Will be packed tonight. I saw a recipe where the whole leg is smoked and I think I'm going to be able to do that Saturday, but not certain yet. Curious if anyone has ideas on the tail loins/jelly roll/jowels. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • BobDanger
    Options

Mine loves to go for car rides...only thing that makes him mad is herring the word shoes.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    from John Folse
    Options

Options
    That's $$$$ right there @nolaegghead! Thanks!
    Dunedin, FL