Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for an offset smoker? OT

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    Dang- somebody got it first.  And here I signed up for all the opening salvo email alerts a couple of years ago.  Oh well-guess I will just move along.
    @BGEChicago- I may have a nightmare or meltdown now.  Many thanks!   =)   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    I wonder if you bought it, would Arron let you move to the head of the line when you showed up?  =)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    It’s the prototype they used to dial in the design. It’s “unit 1” and all the money is going to charity. 
    Gotta figure Aaron Franklin is gonna do it the right way.  I don't know who (if anyone) does PR for him and his brand but it is certainly done right!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    It’s the prototype they used to dial in the design. It’s “unit 1” and all the money is going to charity. 
    Gotta figure Aaron Franklin is gonna do it the right way.  I don't know who (if anyone) does PR for him and his brand but it is certainly done right!
    I don’t know if he has someone but based on my few brief visits with him, it (at least) appears to be right on brand for him as a person. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I might buy one eventually. Says price will be in the range of 2 XL BGEs. So a couple grand doesn’t seem terrible if they perform on par with some of the other premium offsets I’ve seen.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I’m building my own offset right now. Nothing crazy, just a basic offset out of a 120 gallon propane tank, with a 24x24 FB. My plan was to do a reverse flow until I read his book. I really like the simplicity of his smokers, And have decided to copy it fairly closely. We’ll see. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    How is 7 grand the same price as two xl eggs??
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Jeremiah
    How is 7 grand the same price as two xl eggs??
    Read that again. The 7k is for the 1st one, for charity. No different than the first of a new car that gets auctioned off at Barrett Jackson. Their saying the rest will be in the 2k range, hence the ballpark of two xls. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    @lousubcap No one beat you too it.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, We still have 9 days to place a winning bid....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I think it will go much higher. It’s currently at $7k but someone here will
    pay $20k or more for it. 
  • thetrim
    I tried to enter a $7,500 bid, but my eBay account must be expired...
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Got it straightened out.  I'll bring this to BB 2020
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Jeremiah said:
    I’m building my own offset right now. Nothing crazy, just a basic offset out of a 120 gallon propane tank, with a 24x24 FB. My plan was to do a reverse flow until I read his book. I really like the simplicity of his smokers, And have decided to copy it fairly closely. We’ll see. 
    Any pics? @Jeremiah
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    thetrim said:
    Got it straightened out.  I'll bring this to BB 2020
    Sh!t, you win it, I gotta come see it! It's hard to take off time from work but the heck with work to see it!
  • Jeremiah
    @WeberWho not yet, Ill post up some once the FB is at least complete. :)
  • WeberWho
    Jeremiah said:
    @WeberWho not yet, Ill post up some once the FB is at least complete. :)
    Only if you find time. I really enjoy following along on the BBQ Brethren when someone builds a pit from scratch. I have to live vicariously through someone as I'm far from having any of those type of skills. Fun nonetheless though.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    A few of you guys have mentioned the cost of Franklin BBQ pits will be approximately the price of two XL's, or around $2,000, but the eBay listing indicates the 'Retail price' as $3,499.00 - anyone know if that's accurate?

Arlington, TX
  • DFW said:
    A few of you guys have mentioned the cost of Franklin BBQ pits will be approximately the price of two XL's, or around $2,000, but the eBay listing indicates the 'Retail price' as $3,499.00 - anyone know if that's accurate?

I’ve heard $3500 from the beginning. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    DFW said:

I’ve heard $3500 from the beginning. 

I just saw on a couple articles they stated it would be roughly the cost of 2 XL BGE's. Never verified anything though

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited August 2019
    2 xl bge with every accessory you can throw at it, which some dealers make a compulsory bundle....

The thing is also 550lbs and you have to pay for shipping....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • up to $8100. My bet is it's close to $20,000 by the time the auction ends.
  • Retail price is set for the Franklin smoker. $3950. That is spendy. 

The Deets                       

• A fully insulated, double-walled firebox
    • ¼-inch-thick cook chamber big enough to fit three briskets
    • The Franklin “original” smoke stack collector mounted on a pressed ellipsoidal head for maximum airflow and convection
    • Removable smoke stack 
    • Expanded metal cooking grate
    • Water pan shelf
    • Custom hinges on fire box and cooking chamber door
    • Brushed stainless steel handle
    • Legs are mounted to 5-inch casters
    • $3,950 Retail Price (+ Sales Tax and Shipping)
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    For $2,000 I would let Shirley Fab keep my deposit. For $3,400 I'll just keep waiting in line for Paul or Tyler to give me a ring. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    The Franklin name cost an extra $1,500. I'd imagine a shop could put that together for under $2,500. 

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Retail price is set for the Franklin smoker. $3950. That is spendy. 

The Deets                       

• The Franklin “original” smoke stack collector mounted on a pressed ellipsoidal head for maximum airflow and convection
    • Removable smoke stack 
    • Water pan shelf

I'll pass at $4K. For 2K sure, sign me up. Guess I'm just gonna get a Old Country Brazos for a grand instead.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Retail price is set for the Franklin smoker. $3950. That is spendy. 

The Deets                       

• Removable smoke stack 
    • Water pan shelf
    Geeezz... for that kind of money I'd expect a unit that could handle FOUR briskets!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    Still holding at only $7,800
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95