Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So Cal Trip

Options
Good morning, community.  The end of this month, the dear wife and I will be in Dana Point, Ca for most of a week.  We’ll have a few free days - looking for things to see, do, eat and drink...  Thinking of a day trip to Catalina.  Really, nothing else on my radar...

Thanks for the help.
Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options

If you go to Catalina, the Descanso Beach Club is nice, and Bluewater is great for lunch if you like seafood.  It sounds lazy, but renting a golf cart is pretty convenient for getting around, especially if you are only there a few hours.

If you want something more active, you can rent bikes and ride the road on the spine of the island all the way to Two Harbors, on the west end of the island. You'll probably see Buffalo (left by a film crew long ago) along the way and have a great view of the ocean.  Two Harbors is much more chill than Avalon, just a general store and restaurant and a great campground.

Definitely check out Laguna, just a few miles North of Dana Point.  Dozens of great restaurants, a beautiful beach park, and good mountain biking (rental shops are nearby) at Crystal Cove. 

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I don't have any recommendations for Dana Point. We usually go a little further south to Oceanside. We love that entire area between Ocenaside and Del Mar. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Are you looking for outdoor things to do as well?  Good hiking trails in Crystal Cove which is just North of Dana Point.  Javier’s is a good spot for cocktails and Mexican food (higher end Mexican joint up in Crystal Cove).  Mastro’s Ocean Club is a really nice restaurant in the same center as Javier’s but pricey and more formal.  

Downtown Laguna Beach is a good spot to walk around with plenty of restaurants (Yelp might be a good way to plan ahead, Nick’s, Las Brisas, Mozambique, tons of restaurants there in Laguna.  

Further up from Laguna is Corona Del Mar and Newport Beach.  Fashion Island (where my office is) is an outdoor shopping mall with high end stores and some good restaurants.  Good place to walk around and grab some beers at Yard House.  There’s also Balboa Island in Newport and the Pier area is always a good spot for visitors looking for the touristy beach day.  21 Oceanfront near Newport Pier is a classic formal restaurant with ocean views, not far away is the Mayors Table which is newer, Nobu for high end sushi, Bluewater Grill (sister restaurant to one mentioned on Catalina), Sabatino’s (awesome brunch).

Plenty to do and see near Dana Point, just depends on the group and how far you are looking to travel (Laguna/Newport are not expensive Uber/cab rides).  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Kayaking and paddleboarding in that area are a good way to spend a few hours.  We really enjoyed doing it in Newport Beach (35 minutes away) but there may be something closer.

We've also had some good days riding rented bikes up and down the shores of SoCal over the years.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was in the San Fernando Valley (north side of LA) on business years ago. Had the weekend free. Got up Sat AM and went to Universal Studios for the day. Sat evening, Chavez Ravine for a Dodgers game and Sunday, drove down to Anaheim to Disneyland. Pretty awesome weekend.

Universal and the Dodgers may be a bit of a hike from where you'll be, but doable. Better, Disney should be an easy trip and if you like baseball, the Angels are also in Anaheim.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Not sure which day you are going, Yankees are in town V the Dodgers, even if not a fan Dodger Stadium is one of the last old school stadiums that are slowing being replaced........Venice Beach is a kick for a few hours ....plenty of overpriced theme parks as well......I'll be in LA 23-25 and know most of the downtown dive bars  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thanks very much for the ideas.  We certainly ought to be doing things outdoors - I’m thinking light hiking, rental bikes, walking...  My wife is a marathoner, so I’m sure she’d love a long, scenic run (I might join her - on a bike).  

We’re staying at Monarch Beach Resort (which looks pretty sweet).  I’ll play golf one day while she’s in meetings.

An aside, my dad grew up in LA.  He left at the age of 18 (1935) - he joined the Navy, spent 20 years active duty.  His last post was in Maryland, where he met my mother, and where I grew up and live.  On this trip I’m going to meet my dad’s half-sister and some 1st & 2nd cousins - who I have NEVER met.  Should be interesting...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Cornholio
    Options
    Thanks very thanks very much for the ideas.  We certainly ought to be doing things outdoors - I’m thinking light hiking, rental bikes, walking...  My wife is a marathoner, so I’m sure she’d love a long, scenic run (I might join her - on a bike).  

We’re staying at Monarch Beach Resort (which looks pretty sweet).  I’ll play golf one day while she’s in meetings.

An aside, my dad grew up in LA.  He left at the age of 18 (1935) - he joined the Navy, spent 20 years active duty.  His last post was in Maryland, where he met my mother, and where I grew up and live.  On this trip I’m going to meet my dad’s half-sister and some 1st & 2nd cousins - who I have NEVER met.  Should be interesting...
    That’s a very nice resort, we used to do holiday parties there.  At that location you are really just south of Laguna and if you guys decide to go hiking/biking I would definitely suggest El Moro/Crystal Cove up a little north from there.  Have fun! 
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @Cornholio. Any wineries you would recommend - would be fun to do some sampling.  We’re partial to full-bodied reds.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Cornholio
    Options
    Below are some links to wineries in OC that I’ve been to.  Giracci and Cowboy Canyon are on adjoining properties out in a canyon area of OC, we are actually members at both.  The other place, Stones Throw is not far from Dana Point. The wine is decent but awesome locations to check out, for a true wine tasting day Temecula would be worth the trip.  Jumping on a guided tour bus like the Grapeline is a good way to get into multiple wineries at a lower per tasting cost plus transportation and usually a lunch.

http://www.giracci.com/

http://cowboycanyonwinery.com/

http://astonesthrowwinery.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3puHg6mc5AIVkh6tBh2PzQanEAAYASAAEgJZV_D_BwE

https://gogrape.com/
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @Cornholio Thank you!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @JohnEggGio Thank you for the simple effort to acknowledge a forum response.  The no feed-back norm is a bit frustrating although the great norm these days.  Feed-back is the key to improvement. 
    Just ask SWMBO!!!  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    If you attempt Catalina I suggest two things. The Lobster Trap restaurant. If you have your back to the pier you should be on California St. Walk inland and it will one of the last businesses on the left, just past the dive shop. 2 Do not attempt a bike ride to Two Harbors/the Isthmus. It's almost a two hour drive in a car. Apparently I have 3. Go to Lua Larry's an get your whicky wacked.  Ask the bartender to show your wife the little lucky man. Have fun  from a native So Cal er.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JohnEggGio
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @td66snrf. I love the idea of Catalina - worst case, it’s a nice boat ride (with drinks), a meal (with drinks), followed by a boat ride (with drinks).  We have 3 fully free days.  My wife has a cousin she wants to see; I have cousins I want to see.  I really like @Cornholio’s wine tour idea, too.  

At this point, considering extending our stay!

@lousubcap - a (characteristically) kind and wholly unnecessary comment from you - I do appreciate it!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi John,

If you're going to be in Temecula, I would also walk around Old Town Temecula.   Just before, have lunch at Campini's Fine Italian Deli & Market (Sub sandwhich).  In Old Town, stop by 'Old Town Spice & Tea Merchants' and get a sample of 'Chef Dave's BBQ Rub'.

If you have a car and the time, consider stopping by Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens in Escondido for a drink.

Have fun!
    Los Angeles, CA
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Still tied-up with my wife’s conference- no time to explore yet.   Thinking this is the most beautiful place I’ve ever been.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Ritz is across the street and has a great view from the patio bar. Montage is close too and worth a cocktail in the lobby bar.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Looks like you found the Ritz 👍🏻
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Pelican Hill is a short and beautiful ride with an awesome golf course.  Italian Restaurant is a nice place for dinner for two.  I recommend the risotto which is finished off table side. 
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @SSQUAL612 - yup, photos 2 and 3 were taken from the bluff behind the Ritz.  Amazing views.  That public park just north of the Ritz was so unexpected.

Dinner party on the lawn tonight...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Here we are in paradise and yesterday was a total throwaway.  Wife and I were down-for-the-count all day - never left the room.  Under different circumstances that might have been quite enjoyable, however...  Fatigued, achey, “Hello, housekeeping...please send up 2 rolls of your finest.”
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    For you SRF fans, we had dinner in the resort’s signature restaurant, Bourbon Steak, last night.  On the menu was the 2+ pound American Wagyu Tomahawk for $295 (dinner for 2).  I opted for a 16 oz prime ribeye, which was excellent.  The wife had a 6 oz Mishima Reserve Wagyu filet.  The steaks were paired with one of the more modest cabernets on their menu - we had a fine dinner.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    @JohnEggGio Glad you guys are feeling better.  Dinner sounds fantastic!  I hope the vacation is going well otherwise!
    Los Angeles, CA
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @CeeGeeW. Yes, thanks!  Better!  About to head down to Laguna for a few hours.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Seen on the pier at Huntington Beach.  Made me think of several of our more outspoken members...( @nolaegghead @JohnInCarolina ).

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    H B pier. Your in my hood.  Across PCH in the Pacific City complex there's a good Mexican restaurant named Ola if you're still in the neighborhood. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @td66snrf. Thanks - as I type I’m back in my home in Maryland.  We had lunch at Sandy’s yesterday - enjoyed swordfish tacos and the atmosphere.  Definitely an awesome beach - seemed quintessential Cali.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE