Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where were you on July 20, 1969?

Comments

• mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    no idea, i was 5 months old.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I was actually discussing this last night with a group of senior scientists from the NNSA and the DOE labs, and we all agreed that the moon landing remains the singular greatest engineering achievement in all of human history.  Some of the people I spoke with last night knew people at NASA when this was all going down, and they said that within the organization, the view of the lunar astronauts was that they were all insane.  No rational human being knows all the things that can go wrong with a mission like that and willingly agrees to saddle into the rocket.  

While I wasn't alive at the time of the actual event, I have seen the movie First Man, and it's really pretty well done in my opinion.  I also enjoyed watching The Right Stuff back in the day.  
    And also recognize that everything was built by the lowest bidder.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    12 years old, at Boy Scout summer camp.  Didn’t see it live, but sure had fun that week.

Remember the splashdowns?  That was pretty cool to watch, too.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I was actually discussing this last night with a group of senior scientists from the NNSA and the DOE labs, and we all agreed that the moon landing remains the singular greatest engineering achievement in all of human history.  Some of the people I spoke with last night knew people at NASA when this was all going down, and they said that within the organization, the view of the lunar astronauts was that they were all insane.  No rational human being knows all the things that can go wrong with a mission like that and willingly agrees to saddle into the rocket.  

While I wasn't alive at the time of the actual event, I have seen the movie First Man, and it's really pretty well done in my opinion.  I also enjoyed watching The Right Stuff back in the day.  
    Storming the beach at Normandy was pretty insane too, but someone had to do it.

Great use of the word “engineering”

because

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    In our family room in around our b & w in Ormond Beach as a curious 7 year old.  My Dad worked on the Apollo missions on loan from GE.  Saw several launches including Apollo 17 at night.  When those Apollo rockets launched, our windows rattled.  80 miles away.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Had to look this up:   On July 20 at 4:18 p.m. EDT, the Lunar Module touched down on the Moon at Tranquility Base. Armstrong reported "The Eagle Has Landed." And at 10:56 p.m., Armstrong, descending from Eagle's ladder and touching one foot to the Moon's surface . . .
    Summer of '69 in Bronxville, NY working on the summer crew for
    Concordia J.C.
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Summer Camp near Yosemite. No TV at camp, we listened on the radio, I was 10 at the time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I was 6.  I stayed up to watch it in the living room of our family's 900 sq ft house on a little black and white TV.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Not even an itch in my daddy’s pants yet in 1969.  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    July 20, 1969 I was still wrapped around my daddy’s backbone. Or just a twinkle in my daddy’s eye. Aka.. haven’t been conceived yet.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    We grilled at my Grandmother's house every weekend.  So I was on the floor of her living room watching.  I was 8 years old and still remember it. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    I was three years old running around the house.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    I was 14 years old and watched it on b&w tv at my aunt and uncles lake cabin in NC
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    We have liftoff!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Vancouver, BC, watching on a small B&W tv, I was 6.  One of those life moments I will never forget!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i was 17 years away still but living in Huntsville the past 3 years and large portions of the Saturn V being built and tested here it has been really awesome learning the history and meeting the folks involved.  my Grand Father in Law helped build the test pad here and the room to house the computer in also.  working in the aerospace industry myself now i think its awesome that the math they did then still holds true for our designs today and we are just perfecting through innovation on what they did then.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    9 here, on a farm west of Renner, South Dakota with my folks.  That night, and the stunning photos published in Dad's Aviation Week & Space Technology in the weeks, months and years that followed, set me on my course.  
    I've mostly worked for the Air Force, but did spent two years at Thiokol here in utard working on the Space Shuttle boosters as a Safety/Reliability engineer.  Learned a lot of "behind-the-scenes" info, and even got to have lunch with Neil Armstrong! (okay, he was two tables over, but we were having lunch together!) :)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    9 here, on a farm west of Renner, South Dakota with my folks.  That night, and the stunning photos published in Dad's Aviation Week & Space Technology in the weeks, months and years that followed, set me on my course.  
    I've mostly worked for the Air Force, but did spent two years at Thiokol here in utard working on the Space Shuttle boosters as a Safety/Reliability engineer.  Learned a lot of "behind-the-scenes" info, and even got to have lunch with Neil Armstrong! (okay, he was two tables over, but we were having lunch together!) :)  
    "man, I told you we should have used Viton!"
    Wet spot on a car seat

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• thetrim
    Michael Collins in the command module was also Army. Graduated in 1952.  One year behind Buzz.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    I'm sporting some sweet Moon Man socks all week.  Pics to follow
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited July 2019
    Don't forget the Moon Pies for Saturday!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    Wearing the rockets on the outside and will switch it up with the moon man Buzz on the outside on Saturday!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Those socks rock!!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I had no idea a U.S Customs form was filed when Apollo 11 returned from the moon. That's cool.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    9 years old watching at the campground where we kept our camper in Concord, Tn. with my parents and sisters.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I was a few yrs in the negative, but I read Nixon’s alt speech today that he was to give if things turned out differently.  Can’t imagine the courage it took to jump in that landing module.  
  • Can’t imagine the courage it took to jump in that landing module.  
    All three of those astronauts had balls the size of basketballs!
    Flint, Michigan