Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where were you on July 20, 1969?

Options

Comments

• Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    Watched it on tv in Owen Sound, Ont. where me and the wife lived at that time.
    Still have an unread copy of the Toronto Star newspaper with full front page coverage of the landing somewhere in the house here.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    DMW said:
    I had no idea a U.S Customs form was filed when Apollo 11 returned from the moon. That's cool.

One of them (iirc it was Buzz) actually filed a travel voucher, too, I think I have a copy of it somewhere.  
    He didn't get the standard mileage payment.   =)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I was 13 at the time and watched it at one of my friends on a BW TV. We took pictures with our film cameras to document the event.

I have re-created the launch using my BGE as the launch pad.

https://youtu.be/NW0NiRjzkCk
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    Bump as the journey is well over half over distance-wise. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Botch said:
    DMW said:
    I had no idea a U.S Customs form was filed when Apollo 11 returned from the moon. That's cool.

One of them (iirc it was Buzz) actually filed a travel voucher, too, I think I have a copy of it somewhere.  
    He didn't get the standard mileage payment.   =)
    Definitely a Buzz move...
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Not gonna verify the accuracy of all the facts in the below linked article but some interesting reads:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great link @lousubcap #49 is my favorite.  Buzz is one of a kind for sure.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Kiddos Birthday is July 20th. We were going to drive down and take him to NASA this weekend until I found out the tickets to get in are around $150each when you factored in buying all the extras. I think we will go next weekend when they are back to normal pricing.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    Options
    In addition to the culmination of a national challenge made in 1961, this great engineering feat is a true positive that we remember.  That alone is a major differentiator from almost all the other national events (tragedies) that are etched into our memories. 
    Fifty years ago-about to enter lunar orbit.  Getting serious now!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Kiddos Birthday is July 20th. We were going to drive down and take him to NASA this weekend until I found out the tickets to get in are around $150each when you factored in buying all the extras. I think we will go next weekend when they are back to normal pricing.
    And you’ll miss the crowds 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you are truly dialed in, here is the NASA link in GMT (EDT is -4 hours):
    All I will add is Ice water in their veins. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    The older I get, the more amazing this feat is in my mind.  I have an engineering degree circa 1985, but could never come close to understand how they pulled this off with the technology of the time.  Truly incredible- hope y’all have a great day tomorrow.  As said earlier, tomorrow is my 57th - our VRBO has a Webber kettle.  Don’t know what the day has in store - but that old kettle reminds me of some great old times. May have to fire it up for Apollo 11 celebration!!! 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • thetrim
    Options
    @lousubcap what's your current Moon Pie status?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I was born nearly 11 months to the day after the landing. I wish I could have seen it live.  

Like many of you, I consider it maybe the greatest engineering achievement of all time.  

I hope I live long enough to see us send a person to Mars and back.  
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma was looking for Moon Pies this week and couldn’t find anything but the mini Moon Pies.  My daughter remembered they sell old timey snacks at the Cracker Barrel store.  Sure enough, we scored a box of chocolate flavored and one of banana flavored.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    Options
    20:17:39 GMT 50 years ago now!  (from the NASA timeline)

LM lunar landing.

102:45:39.9

20:17:39

20 Jul 1969

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited July 2019
    Options
    NASA TV has been streaming a few segments of the original CBS coverage of 50 years ago. The next "broadcast" will be of the walk on the moon and NASA will start streaming the CBS coverage of that starting at 10:38EDT.

I was hoping one of the Big Three would have streamed their entire original coverage of the days events. A few segments is better than nothing tho.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lousubcap I had my moon pie this evening. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    The History channel just did a good 2 hour special which I recorded, and not a thing about hitler!  Great stuff!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• thetrim
    Options
    I took a box of the moon pies to a friend's house yesterday!

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I am amazed today by those with whom I have come in contact that are my age (+/- 10 years ) for which the whole Apollo 11 trip never registered.  Reinforces the focus on tragedies or not at all.  Pretty sad commentary as this is about the only positive in my life-time on an international scale.  (Woodstock doesn't count.)  Off soap-box.  FWIW-
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am amazed today by those with whom I have come in contact that are my age (+/- 10 years ) for which the whole Apollo 11 trip never registered.  Reinforces the focus on tragedies or not at all.  Pretty sad commentary as this is about the only positive in my life-time on an international scale.  (Woodstock doesn't count.)  Off soap-box.  FWIW-
    Lou, on a better note, this is the first of 3 Apollo launches I was privileged to attend as my Dad worked with the program. Had NO idea of the significance at the time.  Only reverence since becoming an adult and hearing all my Dad’s stories.  Clearly the greatest human accomplishment of all time.  The human ingenuity is mind boggling.  

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    Lou, on a better note, this is the first of 3 Apollo launches I was privileged to attend as my Dad worked with the program. Had NO idea of the significance at the time.  Only reverence since becoming an adult and hearing all my Dad’s stories.  Clearly the greatest human accomplishment of all time.  The human ingenuity is mind boggling.  

At least you called him Lou, not all the frank stuff. 😎
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:

At least you called him Lou, not all the frank stuff. 😎
    His real name is indeterminate Jim. I’ve tried to avoid all that...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I was in Long Beach, MS.  It was less than a month that Hurricane Camille would hit and forever change my life’s course.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bgebrent I'm running submerged and undetected but "indeterminate Jim" has a nice ring.