Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where were you on July 20, 1969?

Options
124»

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The boys were heading home this time 50 years ago.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Watching Part II of III of PBS American Experience: Chasing the Moon.  It picked up with the Gemini program, then into Apollo I, where Grissom, White and Chaffee died in a ground test, flash fire in the Command Module due to a short (origin never determined) and a pressurized, pure oxygen atmosphere.  
    I remember reading about this in Dad's Aviation Week, and was pretty shaken up; they transcribed the radio communications.  PBS actually played that audio, not something I really wanted to hear.  Damn.  One of the victim's wives soon committed suicide, something I didn't realize.  
    And now they're talking about the one, single, young, thin, blonde who was actually integral to some computer program to return the Apollo, this is quite eye-opening too.
    The PBS programs are available free on the 'netz, highly recommended.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Botch said:
    Watching Part II of III of PBS American Experience: Chasing the Moon.  It picked up with the Gemini program, then into Apollo I, where Grissom, White and Chaffee died in a ground test, flash fire in the Command Module due to a short (origin never determined) and a pressurized, pure oxygen atmosphere.  
    I remember reading about this in Dad's Aviation Week, and was pretty shaken up; they transcribed the radio communications.  PBS actually played that audio, not something I really wanted to hear.  Damn.  One of the victim's wives soon committed suicide, something I didn't realize.  
    And now they're talking about the one, single, young, thin, blonde who was actually integral to some computer program to return the Apollo, this is quite eye-opening too.
    The PBS programs are available free on the 'netz, highly recommended.  
    I’m going to watch this thanks for the recommendation. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited July 2019
    Options
    ^^ A few more surprises watching the rest of the program.  One was the absolute fear that one of the wives experienced, they had video cameras in her home with her full family (and even a priest!)  She was on the verge of tears nearly the entire time.  
    One of the Apollo VIII astronauts (they went to the moon first, orbited but didn't land) got violently sick (they had a cute cancelling vector term for it) where he had diarrhea and vomited simultaneously, that wasn't in the news to my knowledge.  Can you imagine being in the space of a small bathroom, with two other guys, squirting out of both ends, in zero gravity?!?!  Ugh!  
    There was another thing that I wanted to blab about, can't remember rirhg tnow.  Will post later if I can remember.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited July 2019
    Options
    July 20 1969 I was 20 years old in the Michelin rubber plantation walking point with a dog for the First Infantry Division in the Republic of Vietnam .Some days later got back in Dautieng base camp and heard about man on moon from Armed Forces radio. Did not seem like such a big deal at time given the situation we were in. For me where I was it was like walking on the moon. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    A mix between dad's nuts and mom's ovaries.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.