Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowes---Cowboy Lump Sale

Options
2»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Most of these folks claiming they would not eat food cooked over Cowboy is fibbing. Because most of them drink. So just use the Cowboy after dark, the drunks will eat it and the night will camouflage the Cowboy.
    I do not know if they make that much tequila to mask that flavor......
    However if you are hungry enough, nah, no way.....nevermind.
    I am sure you could tell the difference. Not sure about most folks though. 

When you are hungry enough you will eat anything that is reasonable....
    Tru dat.
     I was raised on pinto beans and cornbread. So meat with Cowboy smoke probably won’t ruin my day. But I don’t buy Cowboy cause I don’t have to.  Rockwood is hard to get here, had to drive 20 miles out of my way to an Ace to pick up 3 bags last week. On company time  =)
    Nothing better....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Definitely the best free advertising Cowboy has ever had!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Rockwood all the way. When I saw the title to this post, I thought to myself, who cares if it’s on sale-it’s still crap lump. I’ve never tried it, but at that price, I would buy at least ten bags. Killer deal. 
    Nine and a half bags would collect dust in your garage. Once you go Rockwood, you don’t go back. Especially to Cowboy. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Rockwood all the way. When I saw the title to this post, I thought to myself, who cares if it’s on sale-it’s still crap lump. I’ve never tried it, but at that price, I would buy at least ten bags. Killer deal. 
    Nine and a half bags would collect dust in your garage. Once you go Rockwood, you don’t go back. Especially to Cowboy. 
    So what you’re saying is: “Once you go Rockwood, the others are no good”?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Rockwood is maybe a half mile away at ACE. They also have Cowboy but nobody buys it there.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Good deal. Was at Lowe’s tonight, it was still full price. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    So what you’re saying is: “Once you go Rockwood, the others are no good”?
    The others were never any good; you just didn’t know until Rockwood. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I bought Western lump charcoal on clearance last year; 30 lbs. for $1. Its probably the worst lump I've used. My preferred lump is CharBroil; nothing is even a close second (and yes, I tried a bag of Rockwood). As bad as the Western is, believe it or not it does burn. It takes 15+ minutes to get it burning clean vs the CharBroil which burns clean and very hot in just minutes. I used Cowboy before and it is similar to Western; Western has much bigger pieces. Some people like the flavor that these lumps will induce to the cook. Charbroil is like cooking on the stove/oven; no added smoke flavor. I like to fire up the egg and get these less expensive lumps red hot. At that point they cook just like other lump except for a tad more of that smokiness; no need to add smoking wood. The good news is that when the egg is then shut down the remaining lump is highly carbonized. Left over lump is better that anything you buy in a bag.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I heard Kroger has sour milk on sale if any of you Cowboy users are interested.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Most of these folks claiming they would not eat food cooked over Cowboy is fibbing. Because most of them drink. So just use the Cowboy after dark, the drunks will eat it and the night will camouflage the Cowboy.
    I do not know if they make that much tequila to mask that flavor......
    However if you are hungry enough, nah, no way.....nevermind.
    Ya know,there's an old country song about tequila and closing time in a bar that comes to mind. Never say never.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    cowboy is all i burn, send me those dusty bags sitting in the garage.  so far ive found his head and 6 shooter

004-20jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it