Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What should my first JoeTisserie cook be?

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new toy this week!  Also got a flat-basket and a tumble basket to go with...  Looking for a great way to break it in.  

Whatchya got?
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You just dropped close to $300. Cook something you like and let us know if it was worth it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I would prolly do a eye of round roast if it were me. But then, I don’t have one so that is not relative. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • porchetta! or prime rib
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I know it seems boring but I think I would just go with a chicken :chicken:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Dry run! Just to get a feel for it
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Pork loin is a very tasty, simple first spin. Marinate in zesty italian for a few hours, then coat w/ favorite rub. Prime rib is also fantastic. (pics below)
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Where do you run the dome temperature when you use spinner? 

Btw those cooks look awesome!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    edited June 2019
    I try to keep it between 250 & 300. You don't build the fire the traditional way. You build a stack against the back wall in a pyramid fashion. I will then just light a spot in the center of the pile and let it burn outwards for the duration of the cook. There are some videos on youtube of how to do it. I will say it usually winds up in 325 area by the time all is said and done. The tisserie lets in a little more air than normal.
  • Corvus
    Corvus Posts: 30
    My first cook on Father's Day.  Result....perfectly done, just the right amount of smoke and very juicy.  We expected more flavor so if we buy these chickens again, I'll inject it before cooking.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Prime rib
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Smolder said:
    I try to keep it between 250 & 300. You don't build the fire the traditional way. You build a stack against the back wall in a pyramid fashion. I will then just light a spot in the center of the pile and let it burn outwards for the duration of the cook. There are some videos on youtube of how to do it. I will say it usually winds up in 325 area by the time all is said and done. The tisserie lets in a little more air than normal.
    Thanks for the insights!  I woulda done it the usual way.. and prolly not been satisfied!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    A rack of ribs turns out really good on it!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • vb4677
    smbishop said:
    So, @smbishop do you make a lump pile on a "side" of the egg, too?  Then just thread the spit a couple of times thru the rack?
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    I need to try spinning some ribs, sounds like a fun cook for the Joetisserie!  @vb4677 I usually remove the kick ash basket and pile the coals up the back of the firebox in an attempt to abate the flare ups.  Doesn't always work.  I see quite a few people just building a small, normal fire directly under the meat and letting it run - I'll probably try it that way soon.

This was our last prime rib about 2 months ago now.  Way past time to spin something again!

Arlington, TX
  • DFW
    This one came out great - awesome crust.  Also, the Meater+ is awesome for spinning...

Arlington, TX
  • smbishop
    vb4677 said:
    smbishop said:
    So, @smbishop do you make a lump pile on a "side" of the egg, too?  Then just thread the spit a couple of times thru the rack?
    I can make it thread through 3 times.  I have cooked them direct with lump on the side and set up a drip pan using a spider.  Both methods worked great!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • vb4677
    @smbishop So do you shoot for a dome temp of 250F-300F the way @Smolder
     mentioned?
  • smbishop
    vb4677 said:
    @smbishop So do you shoot for a dome temp of 250F-300F the way @Smolder
     mentioned?
    Yes, just as he said. You inspired me to start a chicken.  Here it is at 300...

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    @DFW ... I have the adjustable divider by kick Ash Basket and this helps in stacking the coals to one side and reduces flareups considerably.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHxGr7lUSY
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • DFW
    @fljoemon - Thanks, I'll look into the KAB divider again.  I actually have the Ang-L bracket from the Ceramic Grill Store for my XL BGE and was just using one of those in the KJ for a while.

Thanks again
    Arlington, TX
  • DFW
    Happy Sunday guys,

Had to revisit this thread since I picked up the Big Joetisserie yesterday. Drove all the way to Costco in McKinney to hit the Roadshow and grabbed one. The extra room compared to the 18” is awesome. Spun a prime rib first, the decided to throw a chicken on while the XL was hot. 

A couple pics:

Arlington, TX
  • DFW
    Pics are out of order, and I forgot the chicken!  Easy to forget when there’s Prime grade Prime Rib sittin’ on the counter!

Arlington, TX
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    DFW said:

What are the two "forks" in this picture? I'm intrigued by them. I did a little searching and I saw that Amazon has a set by onlyfire. They also have a double -fork (for placing in the middle.

What do you have? Do you like them? Any better than just two birds with one fork at each end?
  • DFW
    @dannys That set of rotisserie forks came with the Big Joetisserie. I only used one set at a time, but there’s plenty of room on the XL to spin more than one protein at a time. 
    Arlington, TX
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    edited June 2019
    I love mine and have had it since it came out.  First cook was chicken.  Prime rib amazing.  I use baskets to cook a variety of foods and have roasted hatch green chilis on the egg.  Have also done reverse searing while spinning and while I’ve taken a lot of crap about it on forums, it’s a great way to cook.  Just got the ribolator and first cook was ribs.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• DFW
    @eggnewtoy What basket do you use?  I just ordered the ‘fill it & grill it’ - should be here by next weekend.  Ready to tumble some wings!
    Arlington, TX
  • Really love that stand!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @DFW
    Your cooks look spectacular brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• eggnewtoy
    DFW said:
    @eggnewtoy What basket do you use?  I just ordered the ‘fill it & grill it’ - should be here by next weekend.  Ready to tumble some wings!
    I use the grill pro non-stick baskets.

• eggnewtoy
    edited June 2019
    Also love the products by kick ash.  Especially the divider:  https://www.kickashbasket.com/Adjustable-Divider--Large_p_16.html. Recently bought the ribolator for larger rib cooks and had a trial run with it last week.  It’s a useful tool and was able to cook 4 slabs at a time. Post pix pls and have fun.