Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your family traditions?

Options
Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
I travel quite a bit for work, about 5-6 years ago I began collecting magnets from each new place I would go. The kids have adopted the practice and we get one from new vacation spots, etc. 

We had to get a new garage beer fridge as our old one stopped working.  Returning the magnets to their new home was more fun than I would have thought. I only wish I had started this tradition years ago when I first started traveling.  I also learned to get durable magnets- as many of the cool/ornate ones have been broken and trashed.  

I got the idea from my parents- we always bought Christmas tree ornaments from places we would would visit and from memorable experiences. Every year when we unpack them you get a trip down memory lane. 

So what kind of fun and different traditions do you all do?

Greensboro, NC

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    edited June 2019
    Options
    SWMBO family has spent 30+ labor days (except when Harvey hit) here

3 Days of beach, pool, in-laws and most importantly adult beverages.

Worst part of the trip is the "Grilling", they have Gassers that only have 1 temp- FULL NUCLEAR.  So its basically Chicken Thighs, Burgers and/ or Dogs.  Nothing very creative.  For our part we usually make Pulled Pork or Carnitas before hand, Freeze and warm up when the time comes.  Frozen hunks of pork doubles as ice blocks to keep the beer cold for the trip down.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    For the past 68 years that I know of for certain we had and still have a pot chili on New Years Day. Not sure why or how that started, but I still carry it on!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    On New Years, my wife and I usually cook a nice dinner at home alone. We reflect back on the year. We might have a cocktail or two. Sometimes we make it to midnight.....sometimes we don’t. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Every Friday has been designated pizza and movie night. No friends, no phones, we just make pizzas and watch a movie together. As the kids get older that will probably transition to Sunday night but we will see. More traditionally we also get Christmas ornaments wherever we go.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Tamales, posole and biscochitos for Christmas.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    We always do a big fancy seafood feast for christmas Eve dinner. It sure beats turkey and ham meals that we are tired of by christmas eve

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thai beef salad and chicken coconut soup for Christmas dinner for 10+ years.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Somewhat like @xfire_ATX we go to Seaside (just down the beach) for the past 20+ years with our daughter's family. Was there 2 weeks ago and headed back in 2 weeks. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I have a Negroni before dinner.

Unless I have a Manhattan.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    We have a healthy magnet and Christmas ornament collection from our travels. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    RRP said:
    For the past 68 years that I know of for certain we had and still have a pot chili on New Years Day. Not sure why or how that started, but I still carry it on!
    I love pot chili.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Would you share your coconut soup recipe?  The last one I tried came out too thin.  Thanks!
    NOLA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    A Christmas Eve potluck with the entire extended family and since I am one of 35 first cousins, many of whom are grandparents, that's a lot. The Christmas story from the chapter of Luke , fireworks, and Santa Claus. My Egg has contributed many times and so successfully that Aunt Lynette now has her own XL. How many years? Well my dad is the third of 9 kids and I am his second kid so at a minimum 59 years and probably longer.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    bgebrent said:
    Would you share your coconut soup recipe?  The last one I tried came out too thin.  Thanks!
    I’ll send it your way this weekend.  Surprise, Nichole makes the soup and she has a killer recipe(with her mods).  It’s at the lake so I’ll get to you this weekend.
  • buzd504
    Options

bgebrent said:
    buzd504 said:
    bgebrent said:
    I’ll send it your way this weekend.  Surprise, Nichole makes the soup and she has a killer recipe(with her mods).  It’s at the lake so I’ll get to you this weekend.
    Lol, shocking, thanks.  I'd appreciate it.
    NOLA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    My dad, brother and I used to watch at least four hours of the 24 hour Christmas Story Marathon on TBS every Christmas.  We tried to come up with the most obscure trivia questions about it. 

Examples include:  

-What is the name of the department store where Santa is?
    - What is next door to the Chinese restaurant?
    - What is the name of Scut Farkus’s toadie?
    - What is the name of the Lone Ranger’s nephew’s horse?
    - What is Flick getting his old man for Christmas?

My dream is to one day be on Jeopardy and have one of the categories be A christmas Story

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    We go bald. 
    My Favorite Post
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    Lots of traditions in our family, but one I’m very proud of, is:

the EASTER CASCARONES !!!!

real eggs, dyed various colors, filled with confetti. 

It’s good luck to cascarone someone on the head. 

And the reason I’m proud, is we transitioned Easter from my parents’ to our house a few years ago. Quite a responsibility. Easter dinner? BGE pulled pork. My family is great! :)

this Easter we went through half the cascaroni supply — 55 dozen 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    My wife and I do the New Years day traditional lunch. Pork, greens, black eyed peas, cornbread.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    We do the magnet magnet thing too as well as stickers to go on a cargo box. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Single Dad; 60/40 custody, after my divorce I tried to do all the traditional/normal stuff with my two sons. The first Easter I got all the goods to dye eggs. My boys weren't very into it. So I modified the Easer Egg Hunt into an Easter Egg Fight. We hide two dozen raw eggs each in my back yard and spend about ten minutes finding eggs and pelting each other with them.

We also get our tree Christmas Eve Day and decorate it then.

New Years Eve I cook something elaborate and fall asleep by ten. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    SWMBO family has spent 30+ labor days (except when Harvey hit) here

3 Days of beach, pool, in-laws and most importantly adult beverages.

Worst part of the trip is the "Grilling", they have Gassers that only have 1 temp- FULL NUCLEAR.  So its basically Chicken Thighs, Burgers and/ or Dogs.  Nothing very creative.  For our part we usually make Pulled Pork or Carnitas before hand, Freeze and warm up when the time comes.  Frozen hunks of pork doubles as ice blocks to keep the beer cold for the trip down.

I think I recognize that place. Corpus Christi. North Padre Island just south of Packery Channel. Gulfstream...right? I've stayed there before. Grew up surfing that beach

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    My dad, brother and I used to watch at least four hours of the 24 hour Christmas Story Marathon on TBS every Christmas.  We tried to come up with the most obscure trivia questions about it. 

Examples include:  

-What is the name of the department store where Santa is?
    - What is next door to the Chinese restaurant?
    - What is the name of Scut Farkus’s toadie?
    - What is the name of the Lone Ranger’s nephew’s horse?
    - What is Flick getting his old man for Christmas?

My dream is to one day be on Jeopardy and have one of the categories be A christmas Story

lol, I have the same hope but for "The Andy Griffith Show".

1) How Many episodes was Earnest T Bass in?
    2) Who was the town drunk and what was his wife's name?
    3) What was the mountain mans name whose daughter had a big crush on Andy
    4) What buisness did Aunt Bea invest in?
    5) Opie shot a mother bird with his BB gun and later found the babies. How many and what were their names?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.  In the spring we make meat helmets.  We place insolent children in burlap bags and beat them with reeds.  At the age of 14 boys have their testicles ritualistically shaved by Zoroastrians.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    WATERBOARDING
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    thetrim said:
    WATERBOARDING
    Damn.  That must be torture.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    thetrim said:
    WATERBOARDING
    Damn.  That must be torture.
    Rendition if we don’t care for the boy.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I don’t know- sounds pleasant compared to a few in-law holidays I have experienced. 

Greensboro, NC