Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: robot vacuum

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
want one for fathers day . . suggestions? Quick reddit search says "Roborock S5 Robotic Vacuum" but wondering if cheaper option that others like. Thanks.
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Good luck. My sister gave my parents one for Christmas 2 years ago. It is still in the box because it required 4 clear feet sideways and in front of a plug. My parents are border line furniture hoarders. 
    At my house the dog would probably jump up and down on it with all 76 pounds.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    We have a Eufy.  I don't love it, but it works.  We have a long hallway and two kitchen islands, so it does get a little confused, but it does a good job.

I'm intrigued by the self-emptying Roombas.
    NOLA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Wish they made a smaller version for the XL. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    Photo Egg said:
    Wish they made a smaller version for the XL. 
    for your XL egg ???  thats funny !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • cpatel479
    cpatel479 Posts: 2
    I have had the the Roborock S5 for about 3 months now. Overall I am pretty happy with it and would recommend it. Very efficient with the route it takes. Doesn't randomly bounce around like the lower model roombas.
       App is just okay. It will save the map of your layout, but if you want to clean only a single room, you have to draw the square over that room each time. You can't name each room/area. Scheduling component works well. 
       I had an issue with it falling off of a single step from my kitchen to the family room. Maybe because the flooring and carpet were similar colors. Drawing a virtual wall in the app solved that problem though.
       I have it integrated with google home as well. The commands are pretty basic. You can only do a full clean by saying start vacuuming, stop and send it back to the dock.
       I have been thinking about getting my mother one so I would say that it is pretty good. Good luck with your search.
  • NDG
    cpatel479 said:
    I have had the the Roborock S5 for about 3 months now. Overall I am pretty happy with it and would recommend it. Very efficient with the route it takes. Doesn't randomly bounce around like the lower model roombas.
       App is just okay. It will save the map of your layout, but if you want to clean only a single room, you have to draw the square over that room each time. You can't name each room/area. Scheduling component works well. 
       I had an issue with it falling off of a single step from my kitchen to the family room. Maybe because the flooring and carpet were similar colors. Drawing a virtual wall in the app solved that problem though.
       I have it integrated with google home as well. The commands are pretty basic. You can only do a full clean by saying start vacuuming, stop and send it back to the dock.
       I have been thinking about getting my mother one so I would say that it is pretty good. Good luck with your search.
    ok cool - thats the one priced around $560 I think . . . ppl like the xiaomi brand too it looks like, but xiaomi made in china & seems like support/parts is impossible - so sure its cheaper, but if it has issue could be $300 down the drain. Hmmmmm
    Columbus, OH

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    We have a Rumba. My Beautiful Wife said "if it came down to saving me or the Rumba, well....nice knowing you."
    I am sure she was only joking. Right?
    That little sob does a fantastic job keeping the wood floors and carpet clean.
    Scares the heck out of the pets....just saying.
    Worth every penny.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    We have an older Roomba - found it when a neighbor was tossing trash when they were moving (so free!). Fixed it up and works great. That was 4 years ago now and it's still going strong. As other mentioned - scares the heck out of the dog - but my kids like to follow it around so that's helpful. Ours is old enough that it does waste a lot of time/effort but for a freebie, I'm not worried
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Get the remote with whatever you get.....

also so if you have Alexa, make sure yours is enabled fro that too. I have a Rumba myself. She can be feisty when she gets under the desk......tie up your cables. Don’t ask me how I know, but my cables are clean. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    we have the Roomba 960 and really like it.  it does straight line cleaning and will charge and go back to where it leaves off.  the new I7 is pretty cool because it emptys itself.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• NDG
    @Kent8621 just looked at Roomba 960 . . Nice bc I think BB&B offers this so can use 20% coupons they mail me twice a day 
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    EDIT xiaomi is roborock 
    Columbus, OH

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Get the remote with whatever you get.....

also so if you have Alexa, make sure yours is enabled fro that too. I have a Rumba myself. She can be feisty when she gets under the desk......tie up your cables. Don’t ask me how I know, but my cables are clean. 
    We run ours off an app on our phones. We ran it once while out in Colorado. Pretty cool. Shows a map of where it vacuumed as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    We have a Eufy. It does fine. Mainly use it in the bedrooms with hardwood that way it can get under the beds
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• NDG
    @Lit wat dat 
    Columbus, OH

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    NDG said:
    @Lit wat dat 
    A robot vacuum. Mega Maid from Spaceballs. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I didn't save the link, but I recently saw a "lawn mower" Roomba device; it was $17,000.  Guess I'd rather mow myself than sit on the front step with a shotgun, guarding my 'spensive toy....

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I don’t know Botch at least you would be in the shade.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Botch said:
    I didn't save the link, but I recently saw a "lawn mower" Roomba device; it was $17,000.  Guess I'd rather mow myself than sit on the front step with a shotgun, guarding my 'spensive toy....

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Buy a roomba at Costco, that way when I craps out you can get a new one.  I'm on my third.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I don’t know Botch at least you would be in the shade.
    Yeah, I guess you're right.  Plus, my beer wouldn't foam up so much.  

I was wrong.  Mark your calendars.  :tongue:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I have the entry level roomba and run it every day. I love the thing. Named it Carl. It is only a month old though but a huge help keeping the floors clean between vacuuming.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    We have a roomba named Rosie. It’s what technology should be - automating a task I hate doing myself. We love ours. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    Any experience with dog fur?  We have a whole house vac system and need to empty the canister frequently. I’m skeptical of the capacity of a Roomba but would love one. With I a resident 150#Newfoundland I could vacuum daily. 
    IL 
  • NDG
    Buy a roomba at Costco, that way when I craps out you can get a new one.  I'm on my third.  
    @stlcharcoal  Can you explain this?  What crapped out and what is Costcos Warranty compared to buying from Amazon or BBB?
    Columbus, OH

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2019
    I seem to remember a video somewhere where a family had a Roomba in addition to dogs. One day the dog did its bidness all over the floor. The Roomba spread that literal S all over the house. For that reason above any other I would never own one.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.