Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It’s here

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Congrats on the whole deal.  That is a thing of beauty.  Nothing like upgrading the neighborhood on Oahu right there.  Have fun with it.  Dang!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    YukonRon said:
    If it cracks, make this and patch as needed:

What You Will Need:

• Portland cement (You can purchase a 94 lb. bag at your local hardware store for less than $10.)
    • Perlite (Can be purchased for $10 to $25.)
    • Silica Sand (A 50 lb.bag costs less than $25.)
    • Fire clay or Well drillers mud (A 50 lb. bag averages less than $10.)

The Formula

1.5 parts Portland cement + 2 parts Perlite + 2 parts silica sand + 2 parts fire clay

What to Do:

Using the portions listed measurements listed above, mix the Portland cement, Perlite, and silica sand together thoroughly.

Combine the mixture with 2 parts fire clay.

Once the mix has the consistency of stiff cookie dough, pack it into the performed form. You may need to add a little bit of water to get the right consistency.

Allow it to dry for several days.

Pretty easy. Refractory cement is cheap to make.

Not real impressed with the warranty compared to price of grill.
    Things like tiles falling off are cosmetic and not covered.
    So the base cracks...I would still have to pay shipping...sucks

"LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY 

Please excuse the legalese language, but it's a sad reflection of the world we live in.

Komodo Kamado grills are warranted for the life of the product as long as it remains in possession of the original purchaser and proof of purchase can be demonstrated.

*This warranty covers all defects in the materials and workmanship of the grill's body and components. The word "defects," as used in this warranty, is defined as imperfections that impair the utility of the product.

This warranty and does not apply to intentionally misused grills, or damage resulting from negligence, exposure, rental or commercial use, improper cleaning, lack of maintenance/upkeep or other unreasonable uses. Not covered by the warranty is normal wear and tear (as reasonably determined by Komodo Kamado) and defined as "normal deterioration incurred by regular use of a grill." This warranty does not cover damage, loss, or other conditions beyond what the grill was designed for, negligence, misuse or abuse, improper installation or improper maintenance, acts of God such as: wind damage, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, fire, monsoons, typhoons, cyclones, and any other naturally caused events.

In the unlikely event that a product has a defect, we require photos of the defect to determine the extent of the defect and the most efficient solution to resolving the problem. Photos should be emailed to Info@KomodoKamado.com or be mailed to us for evaluation.

If a grill component is defective within the terms of the warranty, Komodo Kamado will determine the method for repairing the defective component. No assembly labor is included for such repairs. Komodo Kamado shall replace parts found defective with equivalent parts and shall ship such parts at the purchaser's expense to the purchaser's shipping address. Replacements on discontinued models may require additional funding. Any refunds or credits given will use a 25-year depreciation schedule. Komodo Kamado insures all shipments and does not assume responsibility for any loss or damage incurred in shipping.

Please remember that you need to maintain your grill. Please inspect your grill a minimum of twice a year to ensure the integrity of the acrylic jacket that is used as the adhesive and grout for the tiles. Keeping moisture out of the insulation is of utmost importance. Please monitor crazing/cracks and keep them filled with material supplied by KK."

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @YukonRon now I just need a mold for an XL base and I’ll be set
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    That thing looks like it fell from outer space. Great looking craftsmanship. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    That could not be easily "devastated".  I looked at those in the Atlanta Frontgate store a while back - amazingly solid.  Have fun with that beast!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    To each his own. Enjoy! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ive never seen a “beef loin tri tip steak”. Nice cooker!  Did you get in the house with the kiddos?

Little Rock, AR

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That's it.  I'm going to bedazzle my Mini Max!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Very, very cool. Just curious, what happens when the ceramics crack? Do they replace the lid of base the way they do an Egg?
    Lifetime warranty tip to tail. Even the grids. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Incredible.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    "You say Komodo, I say Kamado" Congrats! 
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    wow, thats all I got
    O-Town, FL

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Beautiful!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    You could list that house on airbnb to offset your expense
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    That's one helluva grate. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    The grates are very impressive. Overall the grill is very well manufactured. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Does it take longer than the egg to get up to temperature?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• g37
    Takes about the same time to get it up to temperature.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2019
    YukonRon said:
    If it cracks, make this and patch as needed:

What You Will Need:

• Portland cement (You can purchase a 94 lb. bag at your local hardware store for less than $10.)
    • Perlite (Can be purchased for $10 to $25.)
    • Silica Sand (A 50 lb.bag costs less than $25.)
    • Fire clay or Well drillers mud (A 50 lb. bag averages less than $10.)

The Formula

1.5 parts Portland cement + 2 parts Perlite + 2 parts silica sand + 2 parts fire clay

What to Do:

Using the portions listed measurements listed above, mix the Portland cement, Perlite, and silica sand together thoroughly.

Combine the mixture with 2 parts fire clay.

Once the mix has the consistency of stiff cookie dough, pack it into the performed form. You may need to add a little bit of water to get the right consistency.

Allow it to dry for several days.

Pretty easy. Refractory cement is cheap to make.

Those KK's are so awesome.
    You know, building one's own Komodo-minimax this way might make an interesting science project.
    And look way cooler than an Ugly Drum Smoker.
    But not as cool as my miniature volcano that belches fake lava.
    Gittin' there...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    The gasket on these is interesting to me.  It almost looks like a rubber type of seal.  Is that what it is?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g37
    I have to admit the Komodo Kamado is very well built. The hinge and latch assembly are top notch very solid feel.  The grates are ridiculously sturdy and very heavy. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @JohnInCarolina it’s food grade  silicone  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• g37
    edited May 2019
    They say the gasket is food grade silicone. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Very nice. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Congratulations.  Very nice, indeed.  Did you spring for any of the accessories, yet?  I was intrigued by that hot/cold smoke gizmo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqUpiyVL8E

Pretty handy having that port on the side.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• g37
    I only got a grill cover and the pizza stone. I totally messed up by not ordering the side tables. I’m ordering the side tables as soon as he get some coco charcoal in stock. I’ll get some charcoal and the side tables very soon. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2019
    I'm sure those side tables will be nice.  Nothing says you have to order everything at once.  In fact, not doing so ensures that you probably will end up with accessories that you will actually use and enjoy instead of potentially buying a bunch of extra stuff you never use.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited May 2019
    g37 said:
    They say the gasket is food grade silicone. 
    That’s actually a great idea, I’ve always worried about the Rutland gaskets shedding and causing health issues.