Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on new the Kick Ash Can?

Has anyone bought the new Kick Ash Can? What are your thoughts? I've been using a Ridgid shop vac to suck out the ashes but its kind of a pain to get it out and unwind the cord then wind it all back up and put it back in storage every time. I've had a Kick Ash Basket for about 5 years and it has been my favorite accessory. I reached out to Chad at KickAshBasket to ask about the new can and he sent me a can along with the newer version of the Kick Ash Basket to try out. I recorded this video showing both products and giving my initial thoughts. I'll be shooting an update with my honest review this weekend. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0vtOpT8me8

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Love them!  No more ash tool.....
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Do they have one for the XL? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • My thought is that it’s an overpriced dog bowl ($30+ shipping) you can easily cut on your own if you so desired.

Large&Mini BGEs:  HeaterMeter w/Roto Damper, Thermapen, ET-733, CI Woo&Spider
  • stlcharcoal
    It's not a dog bowl......I have cheap stainless dog bowls for my dog.  The ash cans are a total different dimension (deeper) and a much heavier gauge.  

XL  and MMX ones are coming out soon.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i just installed mine in both eggs over the weekend and i really like it, clean up is much quicker.  cahd even made a joek at north georgia about the dog bowl but he came up with it to help clean up quickly in the temps up north. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Love the concept, hate the price. $29.99 seems a bit much. But I get it that it takes a lot of money to R&D new stuff. If it was about $20 bucks cheaper id buy one. For now Ill deal with cleaning out ash after every 3-4 cooks.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• deekortiz3
    deekortiz3 Posts: 60
    Buying one for my XL as soon as it is available.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's not a dog bowl......I have cheap stainless dog bowls for my dog.  The ash cans are a total different dimension (deeper) and a much heavier gauge.  

What about one of those Yeti dog bowls?  ;)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited May 2019
    I got a big dog. She has a big dog bowl. HD.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    What I have used from the start with my KABs is this little 10 gallon garbage can. I only have to empty the can  every 6 to 8 months.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127

Tell your guy to get rolling on the Medium. Folks are getting impatient.... lol 
  • oldmandawg
    oldmandawg Posts: 83
    Bought one a few months ago. Don't regret it at all. 
  • stlcharcoal

Or you could just man up and get a Large........bawahahahaha
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127

Or you could just man up and get a Large........bawahahahaha
    That’s just a ploy to get me to burn more lump! I’ve got  the XL anyway... 
  • My thought is that it’s an overpriced dog bowl ($30+ shipping) you can easily cut on your own if you so desired.

I guess it’s possible if you can find the exact right size and don’t mind messing with the sharp edges. It’s not worth the hassle for me. It’s very well made.
  • RRP said:
    What I have used from the start with my KABs is this little 10 gallon garbage can. I only have to empty the can  every 6 to 8 months.

The can wouldn’t replace the need for the bucket. It would just help you get all of the ashes into the bucket. Where did you get that bucket? I may need to grab one!
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Looking forward to your review. KAB is a fantastic accessory, but I don't see the benefit of the Kick Ash Can. Maybe you'll change my mind. 

In the meantime, I use an old Ball canning pot lined with a trash bag to shake the ashes from the KAB. BGE ash tool works fine for whatever falls to the bottom of the BGE.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I bought one to try. Hadn't installed it yet. I'll probably do that soon but I have to swap out a cracked base first 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Could possibly save a few bases from cracking...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    edited May 2019
    WeberWho said:
    Maybe, maybe not.....but for sure everyone will try to use it as the new scapegoat.
  • RRP
    WeberWho said:
    Not sure why you think that. 
  • RRP
    RRP said:

The can wouldn’t replace the need for the bucket. It would just help you get all of the ashes into the bucket. Where did you get that bucket? I may need to grab one!
    I R cornfused - Where did I get the bucket (Kick Ass Basket ) or Where did I get the 10 - gal garbage can? I don't recall, but probably an ACE hardware store.
  • I’ve never had an issue just using the standard ash tool in the first place.
    I wouldn't call it an "issue" but its possibly much more convenient like most of the accessories. 
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2019
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    Hot embers not sitting on the base
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    HeavyG said:
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    Hot embers not sitting on the base
    Never really bought into the theory that a kamado base that is fired for hours in a 2000°F+ kiln is really going to be bothered by a few embers of fairly short duration and energy density.
    I don't think it's a fix but I can't see it hurting anything. 

Minnesota
  • I posted my Kick Ash Can review video yesterday. I wanted to come back to this thread to share it with you guys. All in all it does exactly what it says it does. While its obviously not a necessity, it does make clean up faster/easier. 

I have several other videos of cooks i've done on my YouTube channel plus many other helpful home repair videos. Check them out and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR-odBwqNqE&feature=youtu.be
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    I’ve never had an issue just using the standard ash tool in the first place.
    I bought a KAC shortly after it was released. I like it. It may not be a “must have”, but it is a nice convenience. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    I have it, and like it.  I would recommend getting it if you are on the fence.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore