Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Just put some wings in the egg 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,365
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Sometimes you just can't use enough w's t's and f's
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Spent the afternoon upgrading our cell phones.  In times past, I needed to have the latest and greatest as they were released.  As I have aged this is no longer a priority in phones or vehicles.  I put it off as long as possible but alas my bag phone and Cindy's Jitterbug have seen their better days. iPhone 8 for her and XR for me.  I actually wanted the 8 also, but the XR was less expensive on promo. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,509
    Options
    Just returned from playing precinct worker for the KY (not jelly) election primary.  Nothing like a 13+ hour day and 18% turn-out.  With the governor's race on the ballot this fall it will be much busier.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    Shopping big coolers. I need at 125+ for events...Grizzly 165 is appealing 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Wondering what a six pack of guinea pigs sells for at PetSmart...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Took my MIL too REI to get some new shoes. They had all their Yeti mugs 25% off. $20 for a new coffee mug isn't too bad. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    mundane chicken spaghetti casserole 
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Spent the afternoon upgrading our cell phones.  In times past, I needed to have the latest and greatest as they were released.  As I have aged this is no longer a priority in phones or vehicles.  I put it off as long as possible but alas my bag phone and Cindy's Jitterbug have seen their better days. iPhone 8 for her and XR for me.  I actually wanted the 8 also, but the XR was less expensive on promo. 
    My first mobile was a Tracfone flip-phone, purchased in '07; service was $99/year (/year, not /month).  
    Summer before last they sent me a letter saying they weren't supporting "2G" anymore, and I had to upgrade my phone; got an LG "smart" phone for $59, still using the same service/price.  What's cool is it plugs in to my new Audi (latest, if not greatest) and gives me Nav and hand's-free phone while I'm driving (nobody ever calls me though).  I think it has a camera, too!  

Some things, I like having the latest (and greatest, if I can afford it); a mobile phone is not one of them.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,697
    Options
    Took my MIL too REI to get some new shoes. They had all their Yeti mugs 25% off. $20 for a new coffee mug isn't too bad. 

I tried Yeti coffee cups but I have to stick with regular coffee mugs and here is why...

The coffee never cools down!  I have a big ole yeti coffee cup, fill it up at 7am and by 9am it is still to hot to drink!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options

I tried Yeti coffee cups but I have to stick with regular coffee mugs and here is why...

The coffee never cools down!  I have a big ole yeti coffee cup, fill it up at 7am and by 9am it is still to hot to drink!
    While I generally agree with that, I work graveyard. So if this and my Coleman thermos keep coffee warm through the night, I will be happy. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    Dude has been eating my deer corn tonight  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Bandit!
    Options
    Options
    @Botch how do you know no one calls you if you never answer your damn phone?
    Options
    Looking forward to your review.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,874
    Options

Looks great, fella.

One bit of feedback.  You might want to 'workshop' the name of your secret recipe curing mix before the public launch.  
    I mean - I'm fine with it, but it could be misread as some type of magic potion to recover special cuddle times that have fallen it to an unrewarding, or 'basic' format.  

Then again, it could be a masterstroke. What about adding a few ground-up blue 'gentleman's encouragers' from Pfizer?

Oh no - I am hurtling towards an inevitable low & slow joke.  I'll stop now.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,874
    Options
    My dear old thing,  that eliminates any doubts I had about the mix.  Thanks.

I would like to point you towards the numerous articles online about commas and specifically the Oxford comma - they are tremendous fun.    I'll re-phrase that, don't ever look that up online.  You will never get that time back. 

And in future, please only refer to BREXIT by it's full name; "that ****ing omin-shambles of a cluster**** " as we in polite society call it. 

Oh and with my apologies I had to Google MAGA.   Not as illuminating as 'fat chicks riding backwards on 50 cc scooters'.  That's one for private browsing in future.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options

Dealing with an upset puppy that just got fixed.
    Oh No! The cone of shame is never fun, but those ears!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    just realized there are things about oxford commas i really did not need to know....will never look at a comma the same again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,697
    Options
    The other day I broke the socket adapter on a SK breaker bar.  
       Not knowing anything I called them, "press 2 if you need replacement parts for breaker bars or ratchets" 2 "please leave you name, address and model number of the broken tool at the beep and we will send you a rebuild kit."

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    This is a wild ride.  Give it a read if you get a chance.

https://twitter.com/IamShaneMorris/status/1130704462950076416
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    My dear old thing,  that eliminates any doubts I had about the mix.  Thanks.

I would like to point you towards the numerous articles online about commas and specifically the Oxford comma - they are tremendous fun.    I'll re-phrase that, don't ever look that up online.  You will never get that time back. 

And in future, please only refer to BREXIT by it's full name; "that ****ing omin-shambles of a cluster**** " as we in polite society call it. 

Oh and with my apologies I had to Google MAGA.   Not as illuminating as 'fat chicks riding backwards on 50 cc scooters'.  That's one for private browsing in future.  
    The take-away from my method that's not really a secret is to add an antioxidant to the cure.  In this case it's sodium citrate (which I guess could be disodium or trisodium citrate, either way, the sodium salt of citric acid).

By adding an antioxidant to the cure, some of that ends up in the meat.  When the nitrites are cooked, especially at high temps as we often do with bacon, they can react with the free amines in proteins and nitrosamines result, which are extremely carcinogenic at relatively low levels.  Other antioxidants can be used, namely ascorbic acid.  The antioxidants inhibit nitrosamine formation.  Also this antioxidant raises the pH to alkaline levels which inhibits nitric acid conversion from the nitrites and also helps mitigate the nitrosamines.

Don't get me started on the study of liver cancer on Norwegian farm animals, but it's a good read if you have some time to kill.
    Options
    And I might add, the antioxidants named above don't have any noticeable impact on flavor that I've noticed.  I would shy away from citric acid, I've used it in the past but the pH drop encourages the nitric acid formation. 
    Options
    This is a wild ride.  Give it a read if you get a chance.

https://twitter.com/IamShaneMorris/status/1130704462950076416
    That was hilarious! Loved the "swap it for a Tom Clancy novel" bit.