Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Is Hamilton worth it?

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
The musical Hamilton is closing its show in Jan of 2020 in Chicago.
For those of you that have seen it, is it worth it? Typically seats are $170 for standard seat.

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nope.  Save your $$$ and book ringside seats to the next WWE PPV
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Absolutely worth it, we went to NY to see it as an Xmas present for our daughter a couple of years ago and it was worth every penny.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Acn said:
    Absolutely worth it, we went to NY to see it as an Xmas present for our daughter a couple of years ago and it was worth every penny.

Agreed.  It's a great show.  We paid $250/ticket for box seats and loved it.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've not seen it but my daughter and her friends have and they loved it.
    I have only listened to the soundtrack and did enjoy that. If you liked the soundtrack you will probably like the live performance.
    Is it worth the price to see it live? Only you can answer that for yourself.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    perfect timing. i saw it saturday and went in thinking no way was it going to live up to the hype.  it exceeded it!  i highly recommend it
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited May 2019
    I don’t do theater... that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed Hamilton in Boston.. I thought the storyline and music were both pretty badass
  • rowmsu
    rowmsu Posts: 58
    Absolutely
    Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    I have seen it twice.  If you enjoy musicals/theater I would highly recommend it.  If you don't enjoy musicals/theater I would still recommend it :)

"is it worth it?" is a very subjective question.   In my opinion, at/near face value, "yes, it is worth it".  I would not pay a crazy premium to watch the show.  

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2019
    I think you have to determine if you are a fan of live cultural entertainment for yourself. If you think you have interest....you should see it before it disappears. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dstearn
    Thanks everyone, I got 2 tickets and they are in one of the side box sections (Dress Circle Box) for $92 each. Not too shabby. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you see it and don't like it, you're probably a classless pinko commie bastard. IMHO.
    If you see it and don't like it, you're probably a classless pinko commie bastard. IMHO.
    As long as it is better than CATS I should be good. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Haven't seen it, and I seldom go to the theater, but FWIW I have never been to a musical I haven't enjoyed thoroughly. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    dstearn said:
    Thanks everyone, I got 2 tickets and they are in one of the side box sections (Dress Circle Box) for $92 each. Not too shabby. 
    Excellent.  Enjoy it.  I've seen it in Chicago and New York.  The Chicago cast and acoustics were better.  I'm seeing it in San Antonio this Saturday (taking my kids for the first time as they are jealous that their parents have seen it twice without them so it couldn't come through our own town without me taking them).

At $92 it is definitely worth it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Awesome that you bought tickets.  We also saw it in NY a couple of years ago.  Absolutely amazing.  After seeing it, the soundtrack is that more meaningful.  It equals Les Mis, if only because it is a different genre of music.  I didn't expect to like the 'rap' style lyrics, now I go through the entire soundtrack a couple of times a month.  Enjoy!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I haven’t seen it myself, but everyone I know who has absolutely loved it.  No brainer for $92 if you ask me.  Enjoy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    My wife and I had tickets to see it this past December - I had been trying to get tickets for several years. Night of the show her asthma was acting up - she was adamant that I go. Going by myself sucked, but the show was amazing. 

As someone mentioned above, listen to the soundtrack a couple of times prior to the show. This way you will be familiar with the lyrics and better able to enjoy the show.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Fiddler anyone?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fun show.  Especially love how they treated K. George.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    It's extremely well done and worth the price of admission.  Truly one of a kind.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CTMike
    YukonRon said:
    Fiddler anyone?
    This was the last show my wife was able to attend, last November. A woman sitting near us took a bath in perfume, almost putting Val in to a full blown asthma attack. That’s when we decided she wouldn’t be going to Hamilton and was likely her last show ever. 

Over the years we’ve seen:

Evita - x2
    Cats - x3
    Phantom of the Opera
    Lion King - x2
    Wicked
    Rent
    Chicago
    Fiddler on the Roof
    Ghost
    Kinky Boots
    Mamma Mia
    Les Mis - x3
    Hamilton (by myself)
    Once

Pretty sure there’s a couple more I’m missing. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited May 2019
    CTMike said:

Kinky Boots

worth seeing?

you should try for miss saigon, its one of my favorites and our tastes seem similar
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    If you ever get a chance to see The Producers - do it.  Just got back from New York and saw Dear Evan Hansen - it was great as well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Don't forget Book of Mormon...
    tonyled said:
    CTMike said:

Kinky Boots

worth seeing?

you should try for miss saigon, its one of my favorites and our tastes seem similar
    We liked Kinky Boots - very humorous. Will keep my eye out for Miss Saigon. 

I forgot to list The King and I. My wife had been wanting to see it forever so when it came back to Broadway a few years ago, I bought her front row center in the balcony - amazing seats. This 70-something y/o woman was sitting next to me, and kept singing along - aloud. She kept getting shushed by surrounding folks. She couldn’t help herself and before long she’s singing again. 

Finally I’d had enough shortly in to the second act, so I turned to her and said “Lady, I paid to hear them sing, not you.” By the look on her face you’d think I’d murdered her first born. I felt bad, but she did remain quiet for the rest of the show. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited May 2019
    Don't forget Book of Mormon...
    I listened to the soundtrack when it first came out and knew immediately it would not be my cup of tea. Would love to see that and Avenue Q. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • dstearn
    This was the view we had for Hamilton. Slightly obstructed view on the right but only 1% of the time. I have been to this theatre before and these were the best seats ever.
    The musical was great.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    dstearn said:
    This was the view we had for Hamilton. Slightly obstructed view on the right but only 1% of the time. I have been to this theatre before and these were the best seats ever.
    The musical was great.

Glad you enjoyed!  And personally I think those are great seats.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ANDY_USMC
    ANDY_USMC Posts: 33
    Absolutely worth it!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I saw it in Greenville and it was outstanding.  It is coming back in two years and I will go again.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.