Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax, Small, or Medium?

Options
I own an XL egg and am looking at possibly expanding in the future to a smaller grill, likely used for saving $. I want to be able to use it for quick cooks in the evening and saving lump when just grilling. I don’t like the gas Weber I have so that option is out. Would prefer to stick with the green grill and no other. What do y’all think? Family of 3-4 BTW (one is close to flying the coup:(

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I cook for four fairly often on my small and depending on the meal sometimes I will do it on the mini.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    JohnInCarolina that’s what I was leaning toward. Thanks

• Calmdowneight
    Options
    Mattman3969 do they make a platesetter for the small?

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    It's the same for the small and mini max.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Calmdowneight
    Options
    Buying a second egg to save money on lump, is like buying a second car to save on gas. You're  not saving in the long run.  But if you're just using as an excuse with the wife get a second egg, then go for it!

So take that out of your equation.  The charcoal usage/savings is really not that much, and its minimal between a mmx, small, and medium.

I would suggest either a minimax for the portability, or a large for all the accessories and extra room.  I learned to cook on my dad's medium, then had my own for 10 yrs.  After getting a large, it was always an awkward size.  Truth be told, I'm not a fan of the xl, I'd rather have two larges over a large and xl. 
     I just thought that saving some money on charcoal over firing the XL could be an added benefit but the reason for buying it is so that I will cook more often, it takes a lot of time and fuel to heat up an extra large if a man only wants to grill a couple Brats or chops. I already have the extra large so a large probably wouldn’t do me much good. I do see where you’re coming from though! 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Buying a second egg to save money on lump, is like buying a second car to save on gas. You're  not saving in the long run.  But if you're just using as an excuse with the wife get a second egg, then go for it!

So take that out of your equation.  The charcoal usage/savings is really not that much, and its minimal between a mmx, small, and medium.

I would suggest either a minimax for the portability, or a large for all the accessories and extra room.  I learned to cook on my dad's medium, then had my own for 10 yrs.  After getting a large, it was always an awkward size.  Truth be told, I'm not a fan of the xl, I'd rather have two larges over a large and xl. 
    Great advice above. But I do so much grilling.
    I would much rather cook on 1 XL then 2 Large Eggs.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    I use my XL a lot, but thought something smaller wood heat up / cool down quicker with less fuel consumption. Am I wrong in this assumption? A large wouldn’t do me any good, I’m thinking medium or smaller for quick cooks of brats, burgers, steaks, etc... The XL is great for large meals but 3 brats or steaks seems like a waste at times.
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Can one really trust thoughts on using less charcoal from a charcoal manufacturer? :)
    Maybe not!
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    I thought the exact same thing, I also have a XL and bought a mini.. don't really use the mini anymore since I found these angle brackets at the fine folks at CGS:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/xl-ang-l-brackets-pair-bge

So last night I cooked a pork butt with a full load of Rockwood, tonight I'm cooking steaks, I took the leftover charcoal from last night and moved it to the side and put the angles up.... Truth be told with the leftover lump from tonight I can easily cook another time. Another thing to consider is by doing it this way you skip the VOC cookoff time. I tend to agree with @stlcharcoal and his thoughts, although I'm a big fan of the XL... eh... he probably drinks Pepsi though... Hey it's Friday, I have to throw one jab in :) 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    My medium was the best grill I ever had. Unfortunately I didn't realize that until after I sold it.  I love my KJ but the medium was absolutely perfect for about 90% of the cooks I do.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My favorite egg to cook on is my small. Wouldn't be without one
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Small

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I use my XL a lot, but thought something smaller wood heat up / cool down quicker with less fuel consumption. Am I wrong in this assumption? A large wouldn’t do me any good, I’m thinking medium or smaller for quick cooks of brats, burgers, steaks, etc... The XL is great for large meals but 3 brats or steaks seems like a waste at times.
    A Small or Mini Max would be great for smaller cooks. I do many cooks on my Small.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love my Small and Large combo...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I use my Small way more than my Large.  But there are only two of us in my house. I also recommend the CGS woo and stone. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Photo Egg
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I use my Small way more than my Large.  But there are only two of us in my house. I also recommend the CGS woo and stone. 

The Woo is a great addition to the Small, indirect or direct
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    Mattman3969 do they make a platesetter for the small?

They do but I would go with the Woo and a Stone from Ceramic Grill Works.  You can get a raised and an indirect option with the Woo!stlcharcoal said:

Good info!
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

The Woo is a great addition to the Small, indirect or direct
    That looks delicious!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    What's your deck/patio/table situation?

I just had a customer buy the minimax over a small or Joe Jr. because he wanted to set it on top of a table.  The Joe Jr would either sit too low on the ground, or too high on the table, and he didn't want to mess with a seperate nest for a small.  So the MiniMax was the way to go since it was the perfect height, and he could just set it on the ground if he needed table space.  Plus if you ever want to take it along, the MMX is easier than the Joe Jr or Small for transport.

As someone else said, get the CGS Woo set up with stone for the small or minimax........the plate setter for these kind of sucks.  Woo gives you a lot of options, especially for raised direct.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Can one really trust thoughts on using less charcoal from a charcoal manufacturer? :)
    Hahaha.....Yeah man, buy the 2XL and only use it with the dome open.   B)
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Hahaha.....Yeah man, buy the 2XL and only use it with the dome open.   B)
    Lol, that would warm a house!
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    What's your deck/patio/table situation?

I just had a customer buy the minimax over a small or Joe Jr. because he wanted to set it on top of a table.  The Joe Jr would either sit too low on the ground, or too high on the table, and he didn't want to mess with a seperate nest for a small.  So the MiniMax was the way to go since it was the perfect height, and he could just set it on the ground if he needed table space.  Plus if you ever want to take it along, the MMX is easier than the Joe Jr or Small for transport.

As someone else said, get the CGS Woo set up with stone for the small or minimax........the plate setter for these kind of sucks.  Woo gives you a lot of options, especially for raised direct.
    I have a concrete pad in a covered open air shed and plan to build in the grills and a mini fridge with a gas burner or possibly A double dropped into an L shape approx. 4.5’ x 7’
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    If you are planning and building around future grills, I’d get the small over the mini max (assuming you’re not taking it anywhere). Its more flexible, and has the same grid space. If you need portability, go mini max (actually even the mini), or just a Weber jumbo joe. Honestly tho, my medium is my favorite of the smaller eggs. I have each of the sizes (except 2XL), and I find more use cooking for my family of five over the years with the medium. 
  • Calmdowneight
    Options
    If you are planning and building around future grills, I’d get the small over the mini max (assuming you’re not taking it anywhere). Its more flexible, and has the same grid space. If you need portability, go mini max (actually even the mini), or just a Weber jumbo joe. Honestly tho, my medium is my favorite of the smaller eggs. I have each of the sizes (except 2XL), and I find more use cooking for my family of five over the years with the medium. 
    Portability is not a requirement. I actually am thinking of doing a build in. I’m thinking small or medium, whatever I find the best deal on from a minimax to a medium would probably work then. I only have experience personally with an XL.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Buy all three.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky