Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maybe a dumb question about jerky

Options

I like making beef jerky and always use my dehydrator. I've read about those on here that have done it on their egg but the dehydrator is just so easy.

But I was thinking one way to get a nice smokey flavor to the jerky when using the dehydrator might be to smoke the ingredients prior? Has anyone tried smoking the soy sauce and worcestershire and all the other ingredients? If so, did it add any smokey flavor to the jerky?

Boom

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2019
    Options

I think it would be easier to smoke the meat on the Egg for an hour or two then into the dehydrator. But I would probably just add liquid smoke to the marinade.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

i cook jerkey on the egg, but the jerky texture needs a dehydrator and yes it works using the egg for a few hours then the dehydrator. you dont eed to spread it out, you can just pile it up and rotate the pile every so often, then spread it out during the dehydrater stage. several hours on the egg below 175 if you can hold those temps first

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options

I've tried cold smoking cured meat for jerky using my mailbox cold smoker but have found there's just too much moisture to make it work. Rather than finish it off in the box, I now instead pull it out after an hour or so and finish inside the house using our new oven's dehydrator setting. Works like a charm.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options

I used to start in egg and finish in a decent 9-tray Excalibur. Not any more, doing it in my pellet pooper PRO 34 is way easier, just needed 1 or 2 flips, no constant tray switching and rotation.

canuckland
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

My jerky recipe uses liquid smoke, and a dehydrator. Have also done it on Traeger at 160 for 3-4 hours. Either way it’s plenty smoky from the liquid smoke.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options

If I want smoke, I dehydrate first then into my Smoke House BRIEFLY

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Do the whole process on the egg. Tons of people do it and it turns out great. If you're going to make the effort to set the egg up, I don't know why you then move it to a dehydrator?

Packerland, Wisconsin