Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats it worth?

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532

1 XL BGE Rutland gasket, side table, nest, smokeware cap and riser. 20 inch kiln shelf, ps, smobot, ash tool, and grid lifter. North east Ohio

selling because even with the counter weight I am unable to lift the lid. I must admit defeat and move on....this is a very sad day and realization for me. Have 2 more upcoming surgeries, and have been told I’m probably done with my ability to lift over 10lbs from now on.

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708

Turn it over to Chef Norah, you are still her Champion

Get well soon

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088

All I can say "that is a bummer".......Cook on brother!

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• ryantt

She has claimed the classic kJ and kJ jr. She has a hard time with the xl and wants me to get her a Humphrey’s pint or battle box

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188

Probably $1000. List it and see what happens. You going classic 2,3, or big joe 2?

• ryantt

You may be right, about just holding on to it. I just wanted a gage of what it may bring. Norah struggles with the lid but not with the KJ Classic so she prefers to use that.

Also if it was worth enough I could use that as a partial payment for her Pint or battle box

• ryantt

Probably a battle box or pint from Humphrey’s for Norah

• don't the new kJ's have the counterbalanced domes? I thought I saw you could even leave it half way open and it would stay. If I understand that correctly, that may be a good option for you.

I sold a large with Adjustable Rig and Cyber Q for $800 if that gives you any help. I think $1000 is probably the number for you as mentioned above.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

Good advice! Instead of renting something if he has a simple fish weighting scale that will work! Several years ago I had a similiar weight restriction after rotator cuff surgery.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984

Saddened to see the decision which awaits. You do what is best for you.

I have owned an XL for years, and it will be a difficult decision to ever let it go. It is my favorite cooking device I own.

I am hopjng you will recover, and when you do, the XL

You can always sell it later.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

You might take a look at the Char Griller Akorn line. I have the Akorn Jr (14" grid), but they make larger ones too. They're triple walled steel, not ceramic so not as heavy. Mine does a great job, very similar to an egg cook. Honestly, I've never lifted the dome on one of the large ones, but it might be worth a look. My Jr weighs just 40 lbs, less than a Mini, FWIW. I'll bet you could use that one if not the larger model.

Their 20" grid model weighs just 97 lb with nest and "egg-mates". Cost on their website is $329.

Would love to see you out there cooking with the real chef in the family! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ryantt

@Carolina Q that’s a good idea. I miss cooking, Norah Grace is going to setup her KJ Jr for me to use tomorrow on some pork chops.

I will find an option that aliens me to get back to cooking, it’s the one of the two thing that relaxes me. It’s been a rough several months, but I know that I can find an option and get back to cooking. Norah Grace really wants a bigger cooker and a friend was going to help me build one, but with everything that’s gone on he’s out of time. He races every weekend and that’s stated. I will get her a nice cooker that she can use and even her old dad can help with.

Anyone out here here have a Weber Summit charcoal.

• There are several Summmit owners on here. @lit is one of the newest. That is a badass cooker. And priced accordingly

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945

No matter your descision, good luck brother. Its just a grill, do what is best for you (because it will be the best for Norah too)

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597

I have no idea what the counter weight is, but I googled and came up with this Spring assist post, probably irrelevant but trying to help. Best of luck, you are a lucky man with such a great family.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/211118/new-xl-spring-assist-pics

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

The Akorn is a good replacement.... @travisstrick loves his. Good luck to you.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ryantt

Friend built an A Frame That connects to the handle with a pulley system that has weight on it to help raise the lid.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited March 2019

Don't give up! Perhaps you can, as Matt Damon's character said in the Martian, "science the shjt out of it". Pulleys and counter weight, engine hoist, I don't know... send pictures from various angles and we'll crowdsource a solution for you. Let's butt kick this problem!

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • ryantt

@JethroVA my wife called at 430am from work and told me not to sell it. suggested that we change out the springs and see if that helps. Perhaps a stronger spring will decrease the effort required to lift the dome.

• I'd setup a cable pully system before id sell it.

Any chance you have a buddy that can weld? 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    edited March 2019

You really ought to check out that new KJ with that new lift design. If you can’t open the KJ, then you need to reassess and have a powered hoist installed. You’ll never get an XL below 10lbs to open in my opinion.

• ryantt

@DoubleEgger talked with Bobby at KJ this morning, I’m going to try to get my hands on a Big Joe 3 sometime. I hate to say it but the egg is probably not going to work.

My BIL talked to me today and if I end up getting the KJ then I’ll let him have it.

He is going to come over one of these evening and take a look at the band system and take it to work to see if he can do something with it. He works at an aerospace company and thinks perhaps they can come up with something to make it work for me.