Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indian Butter Chicken

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
I've been trying to get out of my food comfort zone and try some new dishes. I more or less stumbled into this recipe. It showed up in my YouTube feed. Let's do it!

I visited a couple different Indian grocery stores to find what I needed for the recipe. I must have called 5 different stores to find dried Fenugreek leaves. Lots of Fenugreek seed options but no dried Fenugreek leaves. No one seemed to carry it. That wasn't until my wife was smart enough to see if it was called something else. So she looked it up on her phone. It was. It's also known as Kaasori Methi. The employee was able to track a box down. That was way more work than I was expecting. It must not be all that popular in Indian dishes? 

Here's a few pictures:

Ingredients. 

Ready to be purred.

Ghee.

Browning the Puree.

Rest of ingredients.

Woked the chicken.

Tossed in chicken.

Added to rice.

I'm sure I butchered the traditional way of making this but I enjoyed trying something new. Full of flavor. I'm looking forward to trying other Indian dishes after making this. I'm looking forward to the leftovers this afternoon. Thanks for looking!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    That looks great! I have never really had the taste for Indian food, but I would tru that for sure. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited March 2019
    Butter chicken is the bomb and that looks amazing! Well played
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Oh my that is incredible.  Thanks for posting this.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sure looks good. From what I know, dishes like that can vary from village to village, and cook to cook. So its probably close enough to traditional.

Let me suggest trying a "korma" dish. Instead of being butter based, the sauce usually has yogurt. That tends to offset hotter capsicum flavors, so one can have some zing w/o being incinerated.

Note, southern Indian styles tend to be Very Hot, so you might like to start w. more northerly recipes.
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Good stuff! Looks very tasty. Indian food is great
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • WeberWho
    That looks great! I have never really had the taste for Indian food, but I would tru that for sure. 
    Thanks! I'm not too familiar with it myself. I can only remember having it a few times. It never crosses my mind. I'm looking to try out some more dishes. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    ColtsFan said:
    Butter chicken is the bomb and that looks amazing! Well played
    Thanks! I never heard of it prior. Hard to go wrong with the word butter in the title!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Oh my that is incredible.  Thanks for posting this.
    Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    gdenby said:
    Sure looks good. From what I know, dishes like that can vary from village to village, and cook to cook. So its probably close enough to traditional.

Let me suggest trying a "korma" dish. Instead of being butter based, the sauce usually has yogurt. That tends to offset hotter capsicum flavors, so one can have some zing w/o being incinerated.

Note, southern Indian styles tend to be Very Hot, so you might like to start w. more northerly recipes.
    Thanks for the explanation! That's interesting the more south you go the hotter the food gets. I'm a spice guy myself. I'll have to look for some southern Indian dishes. Great tip. Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    byrne092 said:
    Good stuff! Looks very tasty. Indian food is great
    Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying some other Indian dishes.

Minnesota
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Good lord.  Just the wokked chicken looks amazing.  I gotta try this

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    That looks delicious!! Well done. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Amazing!! Looks great! You nailed that wok chicken! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    SaltySam said:
    Good lord.  Just the wokked chicken looks amazing.  I gotta try this
    Thanks SaltySam

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    That looks delicious!! Well done. 
    Much appreciated 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Amazing!! Looks great! You nailed that wok chicken! 
    Thanks much Thatgrimguy. 

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Oh man,that does look tasty!!

I think of butter chicken as the (original) Indian version of chicken tikka masala. Or maybe it’s predecessor, in a less tomatoey way. 

Butter chicken and CTM are supposed to be made with tandoori chicken, which adds great flavor in different ways, but the chicken  is often overdone IMO. I've tried sort of "cold smoking" the chicken before adding to the sauce for a couple of different dishes, and have been very pleased with the addition of some smoke flavor, without the chicken being overdone.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Nice work!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • WeberWho
    caliking said:

I think of butter chicken as the (original) Indian version of chicken tikka masala. Or maybe it’s predecessor, in a less tomatoey way. 

Butter chicken and CTM are supposed to be made with tandoori chicken, which adds great flavor in different ways, but the chicken  is often overdone IMO. I've tried sort of "cold smoking" the chicken before adding to the sauce for a couple of different dishes, and have been very pleased with the addition of some smoke flavor, without the chicken being overdone.  
    Thank you @Caliking. I appreciate the tip with the chicken. I really liked the flavor of the dish but the chicken needs a little help. I don't think doing the chicken in the wok helped any for flavor. I added some rub to the chicken but it wasn't very flavorful with the dish when all said and done.

I was also tempted to lightly smoke the dish after making the puree and before adding the chicken. I figured I better hold off this time around and learn what I'm actually doing first. 

I'm going to have to give tandoori chicken a try. Maybe I'll smoke the tandoori chicken and add right before serving. Thanks for the suggestion with the chicken. Much appreciated!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    CPARKTX said:
    Nice work!
    Thank you CPARKTX

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you go the tandoori chicken route, grill the chicken just shy of being done and add to the sauce. The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce, but the marinade will be cooked enough to not mess up the sauce. 

If if you want more smoke flavor, then marinate the chicken with spices, but no yogurt or other liquid. Maybe salt, turmeric, cayenne, or whatever tickles your fancy. Cold smoke the chicken for a bit, then add to the sauce and finish cooking. 

Lastly, cook this a day before you plan to eat it. Indian food tastes so much better if the flavours have some time to meld together. Especially if you cook it with the smoked chicken. 

Bon apetit! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    caliking said:
    If you go the tandoori chicken route, grill the chicken just shy of being done and add to the sauce. The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce, but the marinade will be cooked enough to not mess up the sauce. 

If if you want more smoke flavor, then marinate the chicken with spices, but no yogurt or other liquid. Maybe salt, turmeric, cayenne, or whatever tickles your fancy. Cold smoke the chicken for a bit, then add to the sauce and finish cooking. 

Lastly, cook this a day before you plan to eat it. Indian food tastes so much better if the flavours have some time to meld together. Especially if you cook it with the smoked chicken. 

Bon apetit! 
    Great. I'll give that a try. Thanks! 

Minnesota
  • Nice looking cook Vincent!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • WeberWho
    Nice looking cook Vincent!
    Thanks!

Minnesota
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    That look amazing! I've been wanting to try making an Indian dish called chicken tikki masala but some of the ingredients (spices) aren't available locally. There's always Amazon, but I'd hate to have $50 worth of Indian spices in the cupboard for a dish I may not even care for.

Again, that looks incredible. Well done. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    dharley said:
    That look amazing! I've been wanting to try making an Indian dish called chicken tikki masala but some of the ingredients (spices) aren't available locally. There's always Amazon, but I'd hate to have $50 worth of Indian spices in the cupboard for a dish I may not even care for.

Cook's Illustrated came out with a recipe many years ago that only uses readily available ingredients found in most grocery stores. It's the one I've used most of the time. It's behind a paywall on their website but here's a site that has it available. Might give that recipe a try as a starting point.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    dharley said:

Thanks @dharley! I'm not sure if you have a local Indian grocery store near you but I was surprised how reasonable the prices were. It was under $8 for everything I needed for spices that I couldn't find at the local grocery store. The same goes for the local Asain grocery store. Great prices. Especially fresh vegetables. 

It might be worth checking out if you have a few minutes and an Indian/Asain market around. You might be able to find all kinds of new stuff for other types of cooks. Kind of fun walking into something that is completely different than your normal routine. I've really enjoyed it personally.

Minnesota
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    HeavyG said:
    dharley said:

Cook's Illustrated came out with a recipe many years ago that only uses readily available ingredients found in most grocery stores. It's the one I've used most of the time. It's behind a paywall on their website but here's a site that has it available. Might give that recipe a try as a starting point.

Thanks @HeavyG!!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2019
    caliking said:

We always undercook the chicken on skewers in the bge then let it finish in the sauce. Gets some nice smoke and color but helps keep it from over cooking
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Butter chicken is actually a misnomer of sorts. Folks think it made with a lot of butter, hence the name.
    But in reality its made with a paste of soaked cashews which adds a rich creamy buttery texture. I add very little fat which masks the flavors of the spices. Try this the next time. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.