Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indian Butter Chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Aviator said:
    Butter chicken is actually a misnomer of sorts. Folks think it made with a lot of butter, hence the name.
    But in reality its made with a paste of soaked cashews which adds a rich creamy buttery texture. I add very little fat which masks the flavors of the spices. Try this the next time. 
    Thanks for the tip Aviator. I've never heard of soaking cashews. I'll have to look into that. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    One of my favorite Indian dishes and yours looks very tasty.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • WeberWho
    Options
    smokingal said:
    Thank you smokingal!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    smokingal said:
    Thank you smokingal!

Minnesota
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Note, southern Indian styles tend to be Very Hot, so you might like to start w. more northerly recipes. 
    Not in my experience. North Indian food is much hotter. I would tell them I don't want it spicy and it would still light my mouth on fire. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    gdenby said:
    Note, southern Indian styles tend to be Very Hot, so you might like to start w. more northerly recipes. 
    Not in my experience. North Indian food is much hotter. I would tell them I don't want it spicy and it would still light my mouth on fire. 
    Maybe your local restaurant is trying to cater to local tastes/expectations rather than be true to the original cuisine.  Many Indian restaurants include a mix of regional dishes and maybe it is not serving just northern ones.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Reminds me of this guy

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    gdenby said:
    Maybe your local restaurant is trying to cater to local tastes/expectations rather than be true to the original cuisine.  Many Indian restaurants include a mix of regional dishes and maybe it is not serving just northern ones.
    I am talking about when I was in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, India. If that wasn't original North Indian food, then I don't know what is. 
    Grandparents and parents are from Tamil and Maharashtra. Pretty sure I've had plenty of original South Indian food before. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.